What options does my accountant buddy have?

Two years ago one of my best buddies had two major strokes which nearly killed him. He miraculously survived after being in ICU for 87 days and 45 days in a rehabilitation facility. 

Prior to him falling ill he was a very successful accountant in public practice.

It’s been a long road back for him and he has some physical and mental deficiencies from the strokes.

The long and short of it is that he is struggling with employment. His speed and accuracy have been severely affected and he takes between 60-70 hours to complete 40 billable hours.

He was reluctantly let go from his job yesterday because he simply can’t keep up.

Im curious if anyone in the field has any ideas what a suitable position or related job might be considering his issues.

Thanks in advance. 

Brb. Going to post this to one of my best buds. He’s a Manager in the Provincal govt. for CPA’s

scrappydoo -

Brb. Going to post this to one of my best buds. He’s a Manager in the Provincal govt. for CPA’s

Thanks Scrappy. Hope you’re doing well brother. 

So his work openly let him go because of a disability?

Was there disability insurance at his workplace?  That's the first thing to check if he hasn’t done so already - it’s intended to provide coverage if he can’t do the job he was doing.  It’s exactly these kinds of events that disability insurance is intended to cover.

If there aren’t insurance provisions, would it be possible for him to be able to teach accounting principles or act as a consultant?  Both of those would relieve some of the pressure of billable hours, and the latter would allow for some control over scheduling.

Sogsteel - 

That was my reaction too...

Sogsteel -

He was under contract when he got sick. The contract expired and this was a new employer. He simply isn’t able to meet the prearranged expectations. 

jbc -

Was there disability insurance at his workplace?  That's the first thing to check if he hasn’t done so already - it’s intended to provide coverage if he can’t do the job he was doing.  It’s exactly these kinds of events that disability insurance is intended to cover.

If there aren’t insurance provisions, would it be possible for him to be able to teach accounting principles or act as a consultant?  Both of those would relieve some of the pressure of billable hours, and the latter would allow for some control over scheduling.

He was working on contract and my understanding is that he did not have extended health insurance. His wife had extended which covered him but she was let go when they closed her Safeway shortly after he got sick. 

jbc -

He has spoken about teaching or some sort of mentorship role as he is well loved and knows the job well. He simply can’t function at the required speed to maintain employment as a full time account. 

I employ a 67 year old man that can’t keep up. He used to be the best I have ever seen. He has had numerous issues that has affected his health. I deal with his issues because it’s the right thing to do. I will someday be old too. We will all break down. He is also a good friend. He can’t retire due to needing money. The younger ppl can’t stand him but I don’t care.

Stray -  I hope he finds his way. It’s sucks have a legit disability.

1 Like

Straydog24 -
jbc -

He has spoken about teaching or some sort of mentorship role as he is well loved and knows the job well. He simply can’t function at the required speed to maintain employment as a full time account. 

Might be time for a management position

Social security disability is a possibility he should look into.  As others have said things like teaching. H&R Block and places use accountants for seaonal work.  My dad used to do that after he retired for a few years

"he takes between 60-70 hours to complete 40 billable hours."

He should get a government job. He'd be "employee of the month" with that efficiency 

2 Likes

Slydawg -
Straydog24 -
jbc -

Might be time for a management position

This was my initial thought too. More strategy, less time spent in the weeds. Hope he finds something. 

I don't think taking 60-70 hours to do 40 hours of billable work is that slow. 

Obviously it's not fast enough to work for an accounting firm or in consulting but it's definitely adequate speed for working in a finance position in industry. 

He needs to get a job working as an accountant in a regular company. A mid size company (20-100 million turnover) would be great. So he can have a couple junior staff to do the heavier lifting and he can mostly provide advice and training.

Have him set up quick books for msall

businesses.  I’m sure there’s companies that will it $500-1000 to not have to do it themselves 

What about hanging up his own shingle?

He can do the books for small-to-medium sized local businesses - handle their payroll, create the financial statements, do their quarterly filings, etc.

Straydog24 -
jbc -

Ironically my friend is the administrator for the CPA school. I’ve reached out to him already. 

This thread is a good example of the OG helping each other.

It's refreshing and we need more of it.

scrappydoo, you're a good dude.

1 Like

scrappydoo -
Straydog24 -
jbc -

Ironically my friend is the administrator for the CPA school. I’ve reached out to him already. 

Thanks scrappy. I appreciate it greatly.