What percentage of hunters do you reckon...

...do so to feed themselves and/or their family?

As in, it's more economically feasible for them to hunt rather than go to the butcher or the supermarket?

Less than 1%

Because it's cheaper? Not many I'd think.

Because it's healthier and enjoyable? A whole lot.

9 Likes

Everyone that I know who goes hunting eats what they kill. But I only know a couple people who hunting is their primary source of meat, and they have good household incomes, so they're doing it because they like to and not for financial reasons 

2 Likes

In for Dryflys disgust with modern man and the subsequent 18 autobiographical paragraphs listing his back country accolades

17 Likes

I live in Kentucky and grew up in West Virginia, both very poor. 95% of the people I know eat what they kill. The other 5% give the meat to friends or family. I’d say half of those people actually hunt the meat to save money. Hunting a deer is absolutely not expensive and it’s nothing like the theatrical bullshit Joe Rogan describes, at least not for normal people. The only guide anyone here uses is their dad or grandpa when they were a kid. We all hunt public land or a friends property. Nobody buys a bunch of gear lol. Every dipshit I know kills a deer about every year, it’s not rocket science. 

2 Likes

BonedByPicograms* - 

Who cares?


This guy gets it.

I’d like to see a poll of  a million people who hunt and honestly answer

good question because I don’t really know the real statistics 

Maybe it's different in Canada, but every guy I know with a tag makes sausage out of what they kill......They don't do it for fun.

Jeff Foxworthy had a bit on this

It isn't more economically feasible

I used to hunt. 1.00 bullett gets 1000+ worth of food. Terrible economics. 

1 Like

CaptainWoody - 

Jeff Foxworthy had a bit on this

It isn't more economically feasible


No shit...that's why we have meat factories/farms...... But there is a sort of self accompishment from killing your own and eating it.


 

I love to hunt and always eat what I kill, but I will be the first to admit that it makes no economic sense.

Between time off work, gas, food, booze the whole owning a quad thing its insanely expesive meat.

sicko - 

Everyone that I know who goes hunting eats what they kill. But I only know a couple people who hunting is their primary source of meat, and they have good household incomes, so they're doing it because they like to and not for financial reasons 


^ This

They don't "hunt to feed their families", but food is definitely a byproduct of their hobby. They can always be relied on to bring deer chili or deer stew or deer bbq to Sunday NFL Ticket get-togethers.

Eskimo - 

I live in Kentucky and grew up in West Virginia, both very poor. 95% of the people I know eat what they kill. The other 5% give the meat to friends or family. I’d say half of those people actually hunt the meat to save money. Hunting a deer is absolutely not expensive and it’s nothing like the theatrical bullshit Joe Rogan describes, at least not for normal people. The only guide anyone here uses is their dad or grandpa when they were a kid. We all hunt public land or a friends property. Nobody buys a bunch of gear lol. Every dipshit I know kills a deer about every year, it’s not rocket science. 


^ and this

All you need is a hunting license, a truck and a rifle. The only time you might need a guide is if you are traveling to hunt in unfamiliar territory. Most hunters have a favorite spot where they hunt year-after-year and know it like the back of their hand.

RhinoHog - 

Maybe it's different in Canada, but every guy I know with a tag makes sausage out of what they kill......They don't do it for fun.


In my experience, everyone I know primarily hunts for fun. Their secondary reason is usually conservation. Food is a distant third. But they all still eat what they kill.

My mother grew up in the 1960's hunting rabbits and squirrel to feed her 5 brothers when her father would leave for  two weeks every month to go drink and chase women.  Feed sacks made into underwear and clothes . Water in cornflakes ect.. I don't know how common it is today but there are certainly more people than you would think living this way . 

I guess it goes by where you live?

Hunting around here is kind of like a way of life. I've been hunting, but don't personally do it anymore. I would if I had to though.


You do not need gear, guides, etc. You need a rifle or a bow, good aim, and the motivation to get up before the sun and ability to be quiet a few hours.

It's funny seeing the spike in call-offs at work based on the various hunting seasons. It's actually factored into our staffing.

I don't think anyone in the US hunts for economic reasons.

EFM - 

Less than 1%


I reckon this is correct