What’s a good running workout for kids?

I take the kids to run laps around a local track a few times a week.  Problem is I know fuck all about running.  I’m basing it on what we used to have to do for the Presidential Fitness Tests in Middle School.  So a timed mile run and later a timed single lap.  

How many laps should they do?   They’re 9 and 6.  I don’t want to cause some kind of repetitive stress injury but I don’t want them just getting too sedentary with staying at home.  

good question

let them run would be my advice

their body will tell them when they are needing a break

Don't fag their exercise/play time up worrying too much about it. They're kids, play, run, throw a ball for 30 minutes to an hour till they are tired.

1 Like

9 and 6?

Get a fence and a dog and a swing set and youre good.

Teach them to run routes. It’s win win. Your kids get in shape and you’re pass will be sweet for men’s league flag football when covid is over. 

1 Like

Have them play something like tag, soccer or basketball to get moving. Long running has got to be boring for kids that age 

Stay away from the track.  It's boring.  Take them on trails.  Run at any easy pace.  Do some fartlecks (easy running with little burst of speed).

Also, the mile is 90% aerobic.  That means building a solid base of easy effort running is more important than doing interval sprints.

Co3 -

Have them play something like tag, soccer or basketball to get moving. Long running has got to be boring for kids that age 

Long distance running is boring for kids every age. Boring people enjoy long distance running. 

My nephew ran a half-marathon when he was nine, and he's REALLY boring.

dangerboy12 -

9 and 6?

Get a fence and a dog and a swing set and youre good.

This is just something to pass the COVID time.  Since they can’t do their regular sports.  They swim on a team and do judo.