What’s Askren’s strategy vs Maia??

I don't think the UFC did Ben any favors with this match up. Typical the path to beating Maia was been to beat him up on the feet and avoid the ground at all costs. To do this you need to be able to beat him up on the feet which Ben might not be able to do. Does he keep it standing? Does he use his wrestling and try to just hold Maia in a dominate position? I'm very curious to see if Ben takes this fight to the ground. Can he even win a fight without a wrestling based strategy?

2 Likes
S Dubaya - 

I don't think the UFC did Ben any favors with this match up. Typical the path to beating Maia was been to beat him up on the feet and avoid the ground at all costs. To do this you need to be able to beat him up on the feet which Ben might not be able to do. Does he keep it standing? Does he use his wrestling and try to just hold Maia in a dominate position? I'm very curious to see if Ben takes this fight to the ground. Can he even win a fight without a wrestling based strategy?

Ben’s entire career has been on the ground. This fight is going to the mat. His strategy will be to get TDs that allow him to get dominant position, rather than half-guard.

1 Like

He'll definitey use his wrestling...he has stated so.  He'll go out on his shield if he loses.  

imo - he grinds out a decision or late sub.

I think bens gonna dominate him and gas him quickly 

Demian will pick Ben apart on the feet if ben tries to stand, which he won't. 

I think Ben will go for a double leg soon as the fight starts and K1 Maia lands a double knee KO within 2 seconds. 

I think Ben will just Lay n Pray and outwork him. He will out wrestle and out grapple Mai enough to win a decision and not get submitted. This is a do or die fight for Ben in the UFC he said it himself.

To not get KO'd in 5 seconds. 

Ben wins. Maia loses to good wrestlers 

GaspareBJJ - 

Ben wins. Maia loses to good wrestlers 

Not true, actually. He loses to good wrestlers with good standup. Woodley, Usman, and Colby all beat him in similar ways: anti wrestling used to outstrike him.

The wrestlers lacking great standup or anti wrestling struggled: Fitch, Story, Stun Gun, and Chael. Additionally, he had a close standup fight with Munoz and a close grappling based fight with Shields.

Askren is more similar to the latter group than the former.

2 Likes

I see Ben trying to hold Askren in side control for a whole round. 

1 Like

Maia will either get the sub in the first 2 rounds or gas and lose a decision 

S Dubaya - 

are you drunk?

Eskimo - 

Maia will either get the sub in the first 2 rounds or gas and lose a decision 

change that to first round and I fully agree

Russ - 
S Dubaya - 

are you drunk?

I assume he means Askren holding Maia in side control.

I tend to agree. I think Askren will try to get takedowns that bring him straight to dominant positions.

wiggum - 
Russ - 
S Dubaya - 

are you drunk?

I tend to agree. I think Askren will try to get takedowns that bring him straight to dominant positions.

I know I was being cheeky

didn’t translate well

sniff crotch

Russ - 
wiggum - 
Russ - 
S Dubaya - 

are you drunk?

I know I was being cheeky

didn’t translate well

LOL. All good.

wiggum - 
S Dubaya - 

Ben’s entire career has been on the ground. This fight is going to the mat. His strategy will be to get TDs that allow him to get dominant position, rather than half-guard.

agreed and if he can avoid getting subbed he has a good chance to win but theres also a good chance he gets submitted.Id call it an even money fight Id have to favor Maia slightly though

He will try to Lay and Pray all day.  It could happen get the take down and just sit in guard