What’s Askren’s strategy vs Maia??

Winston Wolf - 
wiggum - 
S Dubaya - 

I don't think the UFC did Ben any favors with this match up. Typical the path to beating Maia was been to beat him up on the feet and avoid the ground at all costs. To do this you need to be able to beat him up on the feet which Ben might not be able to do. Does he keep it standing? Does he use his wrestling and try to just hold Maia in a dominate position? I'm very curious to see if Ben takes this fight to the ground. Can he even win a fight without a wrestling based strategy?

Ben’s entire career has been on the ground. This fight is going to the mat. His strategy will be to get TDs that allow him to get dominant position, rather than half-guard.

agreed and if he can avoid getting subbed he has a good chance to win but theres also a good chance he gets submitted.Id call it an even money fight Id have to favor Maia slightly though

Me, too.

I think the toughest matchup for Ben in the division is Maia. (Yes, I understand that Masvidal beat him. But, I don’t think that happens in a rematch).

Russ -
Eskimo - 

Maia will either get the sub in the first 2 rounds or gas and lose a decision 

change that to first round and I fully agree

You’re probably right.

Slippers

Ben will score takedowns with ease and then work hard to win an easy to score 30-27.

1 Like
RockTheVote -

Ben will score takedowns with ease and then work hard to win an easy to score 30-27.

Pretty sure it's 5 rounds 

Poor kid, I hope Joe retires after this.

Maia is a top dominate player. He usually takes people down gets top position and advances. He does use sweeps from his back on occasion but all his subs come from dominant positions.. 

so theoretically askren could take him down. And keep top position. I don’t see him passing guard to advance towards a sub or putting in much offense for that matter. But he could score take downs. And disengage. Rinse and repeat.

but I could also see the funk getting him in a bad position with maia and getting his back taken and choked out. 

1 Like

Maia will either TKO or sub Ben.... 

Rooting for Askren as usual,but 5 rounds on the mat gives Maia a lot of sub chances.happy this fight is happening,reminded me when Askren almost had a Polaris sub grappling match.closest thing to that.

I think it would be great to see Maia attempt a running flying knee to start the fight. 

Op did not see the Jake Shields fight. 

Lesnar Mir 2.

Get on top, stay on top. 

Askren is gonna beat the shit out of maia dude, what do you think.  Unless maia can explode like Robbie Lawler or jorge masvidal suddenly. In my memory maia is slow.  Askren beats the shit out of maia like he does all the time

He's hoping to win by laying on top and applying some kind of bulldog choke or something that equates to bursting watermelons with his arms. Too bad Maia isn't Lawler. Askren is going to get beat up on the feet, and then backpacked when he starts shooting desperation takedowns. Game over. 

Here we go 

S Dubaya - 

I see Ben trying to hold Askren in side control for a whole round. 

So he was going to hug himself in this scenario? What would Maia be doing while this was going on?

Marion Cobretti -

Maia is a top dominate player. He usually takes people down gets top position and advances. He does use sweeps from his back on occasion but all his subs come from dominant positions.. 

so theoretically askren could take him down. And keep top position. I don’t see him passing guard to advance towards a sub or putting in much offense for that matter. But he could score take downs. And disengage. Rinse and repeat.

but I could also see the funk getting him in a bad position with maia and getting his back taken and choked out. 

Pretty good stuff.

Lol

wiggum - 
S Dubaya - 

I don't think the UFC did Ben any favors with this match up. Typical the path to beating Maia was been to beat him up on the feet and avoid the ground at all costs. To do this you need to be able to beat him up on the feet which Ben might not be able to do. Does he keep it standing? Does he use his wrestling and try to just hold Maia in a dominate position? I'm very curious to see if Ben takes this fight to the ground. Can he even win a fight without a wrestling based strategy?

Ben’s entire career has been on the ground. This fight is going to the mat. His strategy will be to get TDs that allow him to get dominant position, rather than half-guard.

Well, I was right about the strategy. It just wasn’t enough for Ben.