What’s so Hard About the Marines?

Understood.

The National Guard and Coast Guard do not get enough respect.

1 Like

The PT, the lack of sleep, the yelling, the physical discomfort, the focus aren’t that hard on their own, but they’re way harder when you combine them all at the same time.

1 Like

People bringing up bar fight anecdotes are missing the point. They’re not necessarily the best one on one fighters, but they can endure tremendous strain over sustained periods of time and maintain the will to keep moving forwards. They will outlast you but not necessarily whoop yo ass if you a tough guy.

2 Likes

You dont get its the military that are the moochers?

Screen name checks out

2 Likes

There are tough guys in every walk of life. What makes the Marine Corps special isn’t that as an individual you are tough or “hard” but it does take a certain kind of individual to willingly go (maybe not willing…) into any “clime and place” at a moments notice and do jobs that no normal person would want to do. You endure, you suffer and accomplish the mission at all costs. That’s why that respect/reputation was earned and is deserved. Throughout our countries history, when a message needed to sent, we sent the Marines.

2 Likes

This.

Also being constantly hungry, especially the first few weeks.
It’s just not a lot of fun – although there are fun aspects of it.

Some deal with it better than others.

I always looked at the smoke sessions as a workout and tried to embrace them. Helped me a lot.
I was more bothered by the 10 second chow drills.

1 Like

Beer Ok GIF by Busch

content GIF

4 Likes

Marine Boot Camp isn’t physically hard for the average person not overweight. It’s actually designed to build you up and they are trying to build confidence and teamwork and get people to pass, Not trying to weed people out like most people think. I think a lot of it’s is the mentality of people who join the Marines make good Marines. They already chose a harder path than just joining they military because they didn’t have or choose a better option. About 85% of people who ship to boot camp graduate.

The Marines do a good job at instilling a certain amount of discipline and basic war fighting skills that the other branches don’t. And if they build up character for sure. Not all Marines are bad ass war fighters, but in general I’d say anyone who was a Marine is probably mentally and physically tougher than your average person. But that’s just a generality. Plenty of Marines would lose a bar fight, and plenty of Marine never see combat, and some certainly don’t get out of it what they should.

3 Likes

You think a Marine can necessarily “endure tremendous strain over sustained periods” more than professional soldiers from other branches?

I’m my experience the main thing with Marines has always been Pride Of Service – which stands out – and for good reason.

Experiences vary though.

There was a more specific reason I shared my bar fights story.

I didn’t know it at the time, but I got BLESSED being “late chow.” After watching over the rifles with another guy , waiting for 2 to get back, we would go to the chow hall by ourselves me and the other guy, used a seperate line. But we never got fucked with by the DIs and for sure ate fast, but always got to basically finish our plate and weren’t really rushed or yelled at while eating.

3 Likes

I would agree. I think in general Marines could probably suffer more than other services

1 Like

Women and fat people join the military. If you can do a light CrossFit workout you can easily handle bootcamp from any branch of the military. Obedience is the only real skill you need to succeed.

Damn, I guess you weren’t trolling after all.

History has determined the future necessity of military dominance.

I’m willing to be educated on your viewpoint, though.

Today’s military is incredibly different from what it once was. The things once done in basic training would get DI’s discharged if not arrested today. I was army but had total respect for the Marines I knew in ‘Nam. They were prototypical bad asses and those old dudes are probably still someone you would not want to cross.

4 Likes

in for later

1 Like

Leathery skin and turn their bodies not their heads. They tend to stand out.

1 Like

And … always aware of their six. Once you have seen close combat, you will never stop seeing it.

2 Likes

So your uncle was around the same age as my dad. My dad was also in the Marines during Korea. Very patient and quiet. Basically the same man lol. I may have been the Marines but I think it was more the era. Let’s be honest men were a lot more hardened 70 years ago.

2 Likes