What the Ortega Loss Says About Frankie

Bobby Lupo - 
KnockoutThoughts - 
wiggum - Thoughts?

IMO, the only thing it really says is that it’s possible to KO him. It doesn’t show a deteriorated chin - the elbow and uppercuts would likely have finished everybody. And even with them, he wasn’t out for long.

Ortega is a stylistic oddity. I’m not sure anybody but CRE and T-City himself knew how good T-City would be on the feet. But Frankie was still outlanding him. However, as Chael pointed out in his post-fight commentary, T-City’s guillotine attempt threw off Frankie’s striking. Frankie has never been a pure striker. He’s a wrestle-boxer. And T-City made Frankie not want to wrestle.

I don’t think anyone else would do that to him.

In terms of, ‘what does this say about Frankie v. Holloway or Conor?’ I think it simply shows that Frankie can be finished. But it says little about the fights, because Frankie would be more aggressive with his wrestling.

I’ve been praising Ortega’s standup since I watched the Moicano fight. He’s very calm in the pocket and has demonstrated he has a great chin. He has very good hands, very technical, and I was trying to tell you guys but everybody kept telling me I was crazy… Brian Ortega can beat McGregor anyway he wants… McGregor won’t take that fight because Ortega has his kryptonite in his arsenal too, a mean submission game. Ortega is a complete package. Well spoken, good human being, angelic looking, and a great fighter in the cage. He made it on his own too, UFC marketing machine isn’t the reason ppl are becoming aware of this guy, it’s because of his body of work in the cage. If UFC puts a promotional push behind him he easily becomes a star…

Nobody in MMA has ever handled Conor in the standup. Nate was a human heavy bag against Conor until he gassed, and he managed to rally in the second fight and still box Nate up.

Ortega’s good, and he’s calm in the cage, but he’s not going 10 rounds with the greatest boxer of his generation in his pro debut.

Conor might be an unlikeable dickhead, but he’s far and away the best MMA striker we’ve seen to this point.

Everybody’s got a guy who’s a stylistic nightmare for Conor…until Conor puts them to sleep

Conor is the best MMA striker ever. Anderson is second.

Ortega definitely poses some interesting stylistic problems for anyone he fights. Similar issues that Nate provides.

Can Conor ever even make 145 again?

Bobby Lupo -
KnockoutThoughts - 
wiggum - Thoughts?

IMO, the only thing it really says is that it’s possible to KO him. It doesn’t show a deteriorated chin - the elbow and uppercuts would likely have finished everybody. And even with them, he wasn’t out for long.

Ortega is a stylistic oddity. I’m not sure anybody but CRE and T-City himself knew how good T-City would be on the feet. But Frankie was still outlanding him. However, as Chael pointed out in his post-fight commentary, T-City’s guillotine attempt threw off Frankie’s striking. Frankie has never been a pure striker. He’s a wrestle-boxer. And T-City made Frankie not want to wrestle.

In terms of, ‘what does this say about Frankie v. Holloway or Conor?’ I think it simply shows that Frankie can be finished. But it says little about the fights, because Frankie would be more aggressive with his wrestling.

I’ve been praising Ortega’s standup since I watched the Moicano fight. He’s very calm in the pocket and has demonstrated he has a great chin. He has very good hands, very technical, and I was trying to tell you guys but everybody kept telling me I was crazy… Brian Ortega can beat McGregor anyway he wants… McGregor won’t take that fight because Ortega has his kryptonite in his arsenal too, a mean submission game. Ortega is a complete package. Well spoken, good human being, angelic looking, and a great fighter in the cage. He made it on his own too, UFC marketing machine isn’t the reason ppl are becoming aware of this guy, it’s because of his body of work in the cage. If UFC puts a promotional push behind him he easily becomes a star…

Nobody in MMA has ever handled Conor in the standup. Nate was a human heavy bag against Conor until he gassed, and he managed to rally in the second fight and still box Nate up.

Ortega’s good, and he’s calm in the cage, but he’s not going 10 rounds with the greatest boxer of his generation in his pro debut.

Conor might be an unlikeable dickhead, but he’s far and away the best MMA striker we’ve seen to this point.

Everybody’s got a guy who’s a stylistic nightmare for Conor…until Conor puts them to sleep

That’s not true… Mendes was whooping his ass on the feet and on the ground until he gassed. Go back and watch the fight… Mini Mendes, 5’6” was landing elbows in the standup and tagging him hard, even sliced him open. The best thing that happened to Conor in that fight is that Chad’s cardio needed work and he didn’t have enough time leading up to the fight. Otherwise Chad pulls of the upset. Chad lost to fatigue at the end of round 2. Everything before the last minute of that round was all Chad. 

Imagine what Conor would have done.  LoL UFC saved a lot of insurance money.

TakinAllFades -

ive never seen someone improve at this rate, its insane.

the guillotine did play a huge part in this fight, i read people talk about how conor would for sure ko frankie after seeing that and that might be true but its not the same. frankie could shoot take down after take down on conor with no risk so it would be a different fight. with oretga he became timid after one shot and a guilltine attempt. it made him think twice and try to stick with the boxing and he got caught with a slick elbow. 

2 things led to his finish. 1 being oretgas otherworldly calmness, i dont think we've ever seen this level of calmness and this meshes with 2 which is frankie trying to clinch rather then back off and get on his bike till he recovered. frankie thought he could clinch and recover which with most fighters would have been the case. most fighters would get excited and over commit on big punches allowing frankie to clinch but ortega didnt do that, he handled it perfect and was just touching him up to keep him away from the clinch until he saw him dazed enough he was able to reach back home to torrance with his uppercut and knock frankie off the ground with it.

we gotta give ortega credit for that elbow, watch it in slow mow and you will see how great it was. i cant remember if it started as a jab or a hook but he redirected it halfway to the target and switched it to an elbow that landed flush cuz frankie was defedning the punch. this might sound easy but it is 100% not easy. tricky striking like this is what makes an mma striker great. its not boxing so things like this is what really work. jon jones is a great example. and then staying calm and handling it perfectly allowing him time to setup the worlds biggest uppercut (rivaling ngannous).

so we cant really blame frankie for this, we gotta give t city his due. the kid is legit.

This is a great post

Sea level Ortega.

Bobby Lupo - 
KnockoutThoughts - 
wiggum - Thoughts?

Yes

KnockoutThoughts - 
Bobby Lupo -
KnockoutThoughts - 
wiggum - Thoughts?

That’s not true… Mendes was whooping his ass on the feet and on the ground until he gassed. Go back and watch the fight… Mini Mendes, 5’6” was landing elbows in the standup and tagging him hard, even sliced him open. The best thing that happened to Conor in that fight is that Chad’s cardio needed work and he didn’t have enough time leading up to the fight. Otherwise Chad pulls of the upset. Chad lost to fatigue at the end of round 2. Everything before the last minute of that round was all Chad. 

There is so much misinformation about the Mendes fight. Chad was told to ‘be ready’ to step in for McGregor and face Aldo because Conor re-injured his knee and couldn’t train/do cardio and his weight was all fucked. Under the current system, they woudn’t have let Conor cut as much as he did.

So, Chad Mendes are preparing to rematch Jose Aldo for a title, and Conor McGregor was preparing to take another 6 months to a year off to fix his knee. Aldo pulled out, McGregor wanted the payday, agreed to fight anyone the UFC wanted to put him in there with, woke up and found out he was facing Chad Mendes.

Mendes is a tough fucker. He dropped Aldo in the fight before, and he cut Conor up, but Conor was active from the bottom and pieced up Chad on the feet. Conor’s chin could take anything a 145er had to offer at the time, and he was delighted that Mendes wanted to trade.

Once Conor walked him down (one one leg) it was over.

The unprepared Mendes excuse is not accurate. Conor McGregor beat Chad Mendes with one good leg.

Bobby Lupo - 
KnockoutThoughts - 
Bobby Lupo -
KnockoutThoughts - 
wiggum - Thoughts?

There is so much misinformation about the Mendes fight. Chad was told to ‘be ready’ to step in for McGregor and face Aldo because Conor re-injured his knee and couldn’t train/do cardio and his weight was all fucked. Under the current system, they woudn’t have let Conor cut as much as he did.

So, Chad Mendes are preparing to rematch Jose Aldo for a title, and Conor McGregor was preparing to take another 6 months to a year off to fix his knee. Aldo pulled out, McGregor wanted the payday, agreed to fight anyone the UFC wanted to put him in there with, woke up and found out he was facing Chad Mendes.

Mendes is a tough fucker. He dropped Aldo in the fight before, and he cut Conor up, but Conor was active from the bottom and pieced up Chad on the feet. Conor’s chin could take anything a 145er had to offer at the time, and he was delighted that Mendes wanted to trade.

The unprepared Mendes excuse is not accurate. Conor McGregor beat Chad Mendes with one good leg.

Lupes, I’ve seen you write this a lot.

A similar controversial injury is Anderson’s rib injury from the first Chael fight. The documentary gave pretty thorough evidence that Anderson wasn’t lying. Is there similar evidence for Conor?

Also, Faber claimed Mendes was straight off the couch. How do you know this is a lie?

Conor outlanded Mendes in every round of that fight. He worked Mendes in that 1st round to the body which caused Mendes to begin gassing out. Body work in mma is so underappreciated and underutilized.

KnockoutThoughts -
Bobby Lupo -
KnockoutThoughts - 
wiggum - Thoughts?

The truth. Mendes was winning on the feet.

wiggum - 
Bobby Lupo - 
KnockoutThoughts - 
Bobby Lupo -
KnockoutThoughts - 
wiggum - Thoughts?

A similar controversial injury is Anderson’s rib injury from the first Chael fight. The documentary gave pretty thorough evidence that Anderson wasn’t lying. Is there similar evidence for Conor?

Also, Faber claimed Mendes was straight off the couch. How do you know this is a lie?

Conor McGregor says he tore 80 percent of ACL before Chad Mendes fight - ESPN

The story about Rory Mac causing the knee injury was all over the UG when it happened. I can’t search old threads, but, there were a few

http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/70290140b6a8e038

Conor Mcgregor vs Chad Mendes Fight metric

cyberc92 - 

http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/70290140b6a8e038

Conor Mcgregor vs Chad Mendes Fight metric

That’s nerd shit. Only significant strike that counts is the one that KO’d Chad

IMO it's just father time. It will always catch up to every fighter no matter what. Ortega's striking is very underrated and will be for a while yet just like Holloway until he finished Aldo.

Thanks, Lupes.

I had seen Kav’s and Conor’s claims, but, tbh, I think both guys are sometimes bullshitters. I didn’t realize that the documentary caught it. That’s enough for me.

Anything on Mendes being ready? I remember Faber claimed he was coming off the couch.

Bobby Lupo -
KnockoutThoughts - 
Bobby Lupo -
KnockoutThoughts - 
wiggum - Thoughts?

Nothing but cold hard facts here brother. Respect. 

KnockoutThoughts -
wiggum - Thoughts?

I will skip over the Conor nonsense. 

I do agree that Ortega is legit. The ufc marketing may not be behind him but he does benefit from years of being involved with Rener Gracie’s breakdown. 

Anyone who watched those would also know that Brian was a troubled youth who was involved in lots of streetfights prior to BJJ. This explains his calmness and confidence on the feet. 

Bobby Lupo -
wiggum - 
Bobby Lupo - 
KnockoutThoughts - 
Bobby Lupo -
KnockoutThoughts - 
wiggum - Thoughts?

Conor McGregor says he tore 80 percent of ACL before Chad Mendes fight - ESPN

The story about Rory Mac causing the knee injury was all over the UG when it happened. I can’t search old threads, but, there were a few

'Notorious' Movie Reveals Horrifying Extent Of McGregor Injury Ahead Of Chad Mendes Bout - Pundit Arena

On the new Conor Mcgregor movie Notorious. It shows for a 100% fact Conor was injuried going into the Mendes fight. Lobov said "people aren’t supposed to be able to walk without an act. That’s why I know he’s gonna be the champion". Every single time Conor Mcgregor fights and wins. People love to make excuses for his opponents. Short notice this short notice that. When in reality Conor is taking a short notice fight himself ala Mendes Diaz Holloway Brandao etc… He don’t get the credit he deserves on here man. 

BTW Brian Ortega is the truth. Onething I noticed about him in previous fights. Is how defensively responsible he is in the boxing aspect. As far as headmovement deflecting shots footwork fight iq calm composed in the fire. The Frankie fight reminded me of Cain vs Werdum. Meaning the takedown threat wasn't there. Due to Werdum/Ortegas scary ground gAme. This allowed them to really unleash there striking attack without the fear of the the takedown. They can really sit down on there hits just let everything flow. Ortega is a serious problem for Max Holloway. IMHO he has the best boxing striking I've seen from a jujitsu player. 

Frankie still good as ever

Ortega,was way to big for frankie to stand with