What to expect from 1st BJJ class

38 years old .............5 11 1/2'' 230 ....I live in Southern Connecticut ....either going to CTMMA.com (New Haven) or Best Way BJJ in Danbury . What other equipment do you need besides a GI for class and what do they do ??

Thanks ---I think

Wear a cup. Accidental knees, etc. do happen from time to time. As long as you act interested in learning and don't come off as a know it all you will be fine. Warm-up before hand and do a little stretching after. Believe it or not flexibility is as, if not more, important on the ground as when doing stand-up. That is all. JKB

"38 years old .............5 11 1/2'' 230"

When I started, I was also 38yrs old, 5'11 1/2'', 230lbs.

Now I'm 27yrs old, 6'3'' and 205lbs.

You're gonna love it.

Expect to be sore, a lot of bruises, and getting tapped by a guy 100 lbs less than you. Also, fear the rear naked choke and the dreaded teabag!

it all depends on the school. I was extremely lucky in walking into a very friendly school where everyone was willing to teach.

I think the key is to be humble. Very humble. It makes the people who will role with you want to teach you not knock you off your high horse. Huge difference.

Besides that strecth and expect to be very tired but love it.

Don't jump up and down the first time you tap someone. Act like you've been there before.

The Father-Nelson.

Trim and file your finger/toe nails

man, u make it out as if the higher belts r some sort of secret group

They are... shhhhh.

What is a rash guard ? Also I took some classes a few years ago in another art and I did get ring worm it there anything I can wear under my GI to hopefully NOT Catch Ringworm ? A long sleeved shirt or something ? I had ringworm for like 3 months and I even gave it to my wife.

A rash guard... guards you against getting a rash.

Even though I'm starting to think this may be a stolid troll job, I'll give you one more piece of advice.

Be very carefull when you leave after training. You may get mobbed by hawt looking women. Chicks dig BJJers.

The End

expect the worst and the best will happen. lol sorry. lol

I think some of the guys here think way too deep and worry way too much. Wear a cup, be respectful and friendly and you'll be fine. A little sore, but good to go. JKB