What to expect...

I’m joining a school this week to learn BJJ and get in shape. I’ve never taken a and have no idea what to expect. I live in Pinellas County, FL and have two Gracie gyms I’m deciding between close by. Couple questions:

1) Gi vs No-Gi, are there differences or should I choose one over the other?

2) Cost, do you typically pay by the have an account or pay a flat membership rate?

Any other advice for me or things I should keep in mind? Appreciate any feedback!! I’m really excited to pull the trigger

Advice: When you're rolling, be careful not to damage those grapefruits between your legs, VKM.

2 Likes
McMahonKennedyVincent - 

I’m joining a school this week to learn BJJ and get in shape. I’ve never taken a and have no idea what to expect. I live in Pinellas County, FL and have two Gracie gyms I’m deciding between close by. Couple questions:

2) Cost, do you typically pay by the have an account or pay a flat membership rate?

Any other advice for me or things I should keep in mind? Appreciate any feedback!! I’m really excited to pull the trigger

Gi is relatively speaking more cerebral and technical, and less reliant on physical attributes.

Memberships are typically monthly via a contract, with a discount if you pay up front.

Biggest advice I can give anyone starting in combat sports is listen to your coach. Also, your body will be roughed up the first few weeks - fingers, skin, etc. But it passes.

Kirik -
McMahonKennedyVincent - 

Gi is relatively speaking more cerebral and technical, and less reliant on physical attributes.

Memberships are typically monthly via a contract, with a discount if you pay up front.

Biggest advice I can give anyone starting in combat sports is listen to your coach. Also, your body will be roughed up the first few weeks - fingers, skin, etc. But it passes.

Thanks brother! I’m pumped for the challenge. 

Start in the Gi.  You will learn to love it.

Like Kirik said, you body will be sore and bruised for a bit but it goes away.

Usually membership is contracts.

* On a SideNote:  Get ready for a cult-like atmosphere.

On a SideNote -

Start in the Gi.  You will learn to love it.

Like Kirik said, you body will be sore and bruised for a bit but it goes away.

Usually membership is contracts.

* On a SideNote:  Get ready for a cult-like atmosphere.

I’m down!!

Here's a huge one. After your first couple make sure it's not the only conversation piece you have anymore.  When you just start out it's exciting, you may feel the need to bring up bjj in almost every conversation you have. Noone cares if you train. Just enjoy it. Have fun. Don't go 110% in inexperienced  white belts can be dangerous. Go with the flow and find your rhythm. 

2 Likes
Stay Wild -

Here's a huge one. After your first couple make sure it's not the only conversation piece you have anymore.  When you just start out it's exciting, you may feel the need to bring up bjj in almost every conversation you have. Noone cares if you train. Just enjoy it. Have fun. Don't go 110% in inexperienced  white belts can be dangerous. Go with the flow and find your rhythm. 

Thanks so much!! I don’t want to get hurt, I wanna feel good

When is your first c.lass?

SickEye -

11a tomorrow.. 

it’s a no-gi school, so besides a mouth guard is there any other equipment I need??

You need a cup also.

1 Like
McMahonKennedyVincent -
SickEye -

11a tomorrow.. 

it’s a no-gi school, so besides a mouth guard is there any other equipment I need??

Good luck! A rash guard / compression shirt and shorts are good to have. Do whatever you can to increase flexibility too, like taking some yoga where and when you can. 

1 Like
SickEye -
McMahonKennedyVincent -
SickEye -

11a tomorrow.. 

Good luck! A rash guard / compression shirt and shorts are good to have. Do whatever you can to increase flexibility too, like taking some yoga where and when you can. 

Thanks man! Good stuff, will invest!

Funny you say that, my current exercise regimen is DDP Yoga and cardio. I’ll stick with it then!!

McMahonKennedyVincent - 
SickEye -

11a tomorrow.. 

Rashguard for sure.  I always bring a towel to wipe down during breaks so I don't sweat all over training partners.

If you have bad knees or other joints make sure you bring braces and whatnot.

I always take wrist and fingers but thats during GI.

Have fun on the journey.

1 Like

![](upload://6FBxVsEZm5f93zsw3EuXgGXp8AD.gif)

Me walking into my first day of BJJ

Flip flops to wear to the mat and in the shower.

If there's a shower at the gym, that's a godsend, shower right after or as soon as you get home, everything you wore on mat goes into the washer then hang to dry and maybe will be dry in time for tomorrow's To avoid ringworm, which runs rampant in gyms, shower before sweat dries on you if at all possible or asap. Don't let your sweat soaked gear sit. Just like with yourself, wash asap. 

Speaking of showers, just have good hygiene, you're going to be in close close contact with others, paired off with a training partner, don't eat after a couple hours prior, keep fingernail and toenail clippers in your gym bag , you'll need to keep those cut short. 

Try to resist temptation to ask a million questions during instruction but at same time don't let yourself get lost, speak up here and there as needed to stay on track.

Always stay aware that your goal in addition to exercise and fun is to learn and help your training partner learn as well. Everyone will be at a different place in their journey.

McMahonKennedyVincent -

![](upload://6FBxVsEZm5f93zsw3EuXgGXp8AD.gif)

Me walking into my first day of BJJ

I'm liking the swag!!!

Hell Yeah Bro!  Good for you OP. One of the best things I ever did for me was train BJJ. 100% Start with a Gi. You will be hooked. Enjoy it. My first one or two years were my favorite. You will not regret it.  Keep us posted.

OP, where in Pinellas?

I live in Oldsmar, train out of Suncoast BJJ (opened a month ago and spun off from a local Gracie school). Fantastic teaching, great vibes, and legit black belts here.

savage animal -

Flip flops to wear to the mat and in the shower.

If there's a shower at the gym, that's a godsend, shower right after or as soon as you get home, everything you wore on mat goes into the washer then hang to dry and maybe will be dry in time for tomorrow's To avoid ringworm, which runs rampant in gyms, shower before sweat dries on you if at all possible or asap. Don't let your sweat soaked gear sit. Just like with yourself, wash asap. 

Speaking of showers, just have good hygiene, you're going to be in close close contact with others, paired off with a training partner, don't eat after a couple hours prior, keep fingernail and toenail clippers in your gym bag , you'll need to keep those cut short. 

Try to resist temptation to ask a million questions during instruction but at same time don't let yourself get lost, speak up here and there as needed to stay on track.

Always stay aware that your goal in addition to exercise and fun is to learn and help your training partner learn as well. Everyone will be at a different place in their journey.

This was incredibly helpful advice and glad I read this before I was fully prepared and kept it mind!! Appreciate your time brother!!

1 Like