What was JDS thinking?!?

Last night? It was very evident after a few minutes that Gane was a much faster, younger abd much more technical and well rounded striker than JDS. So what does JDS do, he stays to the gameplan and gets beat up.

JDS seemed to have one goal, to keep throwing wild shots and just hope to catch Gane clean and knock him out. Where is plan B though? I know he’s not a great wrestler but JDS should have at least tried to take the kickboxer down. It’s better than just waiting to get KOed isn’t it?

It’s very frustrating to watch an older, slower fighter try to use such a basic strategy in every fight and lose the same way every time.

JDS should have retired a few years back… Gane is a breath of fresh air in UFC hvwt division. Finally a hvwt that has very technical kickboxing yet he also is very fluid and can move around. Compare that to 90% of the other Hvwts that are obese and go in there and slowly plod around throwing slow punches

“Ouch, my head” 

2 Likes

Should have side stepped

Gane has an inside heelhook win and choked another guy out in the ufc. JDS was out everywhere in this stage of his career. 

iqwrestler - 

Gane has an inside heelhook win and choked another guy out in the ufc. JDS was out everywhere in this stage of his career. 

Who did he heel hook though? I have to believe if JDS got Gane down his chances of winning the fight would improve. On the feet it was only a matter of time before he got KOed

JDS should have sidestepped that elbow!

Juniors boxing has always been exaggerated and now hes tentative after several kos and doesnt have the footwork or defense to stay on the outside and counter box somebody like gane. 

He needed to get in the phone booth and box but his trepidation conflated with those body kicks made it impossible for him to pull the trigger. 

What happened to these guys blackbelts in bjj?

Ringworm74 - 

UFC is Uktimate kickboxing these days. Sad

It looks like he's chasing the high of a one punch knock-out like an addicted gambler chases a runner-runner. He used to get them all the time, so he can't cope with the fact that he won't ever get one again and needs to learn new tricks like Overeem did.

Ringworm74 -

A lot of the MMA champion "black belts" are pretty shitty when it comes to using jiu jitsu in actual fights. Not to accuse them of being fake, but it's quite convenient that every brazillian champion also happens to be a BJJ black belt. And yet when opportunities arrive to showcase it in fights, certain guys get nothing done offensively or defensively. You see better jiu jitsu in some amateur fights on the regional circuit.

Very curious.

He's not as fast as he once was and that was a big advantage for him going into most of his fights. His striking also never evolved, sadly. He's always been one of my favourites.

This was like when JDS was a nobody and beat an aging CroCop

Older fighters need to be able to be honest about their diminishing skills. Furthermore, they also need to be able to evolve and change to accommodate for the changes they are experiencing. JDS has not evolved in years sadly. He still turns his back and runs away. Still tries to stay in the pocket even though hes older and slower… Sadly, he will be cut. Maybe he can get back on the horsemeat and come kick ass for us in Bellator.

JDS was also turning his head away very early before the TKO. Isn't one of the number one rules don't turn your head away? If he got clapped on the back of the head while turning away, it's his own damn fault. His fight IQ has plummeted since Cain beat his ass for 50 minutes. 

Gennady Goblin -
Ringworm74 -

A lot of the MMA champion "black belts" are pretty shitty when it comes to using jiu jitsu in actual fights. Not to accuse them of being fake, but it's quite convenient that every brazillian champion also happens to be a BJJ black belt. And yet when opportunities arrive to showcase it in fights, certain guys get nothing done offensively or defensively. You see better jiu jitsu in some amateur fights on the regional circuit.

Very curious.

Damian Maia deserves more respect.... I remember when the rubber guard came out. I actually thought it was going to change the game... it looks like striking is far superior 

In a thin HW division JDS is probably still top ten. Watching the fight I thought JDS was in for a tough night . After it became apparent Gane was intent to keep the fight at distance and his footwork was better JDS had nowhere to go. Jds tried to lure him in but was getting picked apart with legkicks.

Gennady Goblin -
Ringworm74 -

Very curious.

Like Vitor being mounted and trying to punch up. I know there are "high level" black belts but Jesus.

hjr2 -
Gennady Goblin -
Ringworm74 -

Very curious.

Like Vitor being mounted and trying to punch up. I know there are "high level" black belts but Jesus.

Vitor was a carlson bb who went to adcc. 

Connorwinztharematch -
hjr2 -
Gennady Goblin -
Ringworm74 -

Very curious.

Vitor was a carlson bb who went to adcc. 

Vitor never had a good BJJ game for MMA, even though he was promoted as such by Carlson himself. And Vitor is one of my all time favorites.