What was the best year in MMA history?

I originally thought it was 2007. But then I read a post on a thread from @DY3

Can any year beat 2011?

4 Likes

2 Likes

Hell I dont know but IN for discussion

2 Likes

It should be noted. Most of those fights I listed were just in the last few months of 2011. Sept-Dec. lol

That was a crazy time. UFC bought SF in March. UFC debuted on big Fox in Nov

And I remember the cards between Sept -Dec were just stacked.

1 Like

For example, we all remember Hendo vs Shogun 1. But do you remember the rest of the card looked like this.

Light Heavyweight Dan Henderson def. Maurício Rua Decision (unanimous) (48–47, 48–47, 48–47) 5 5:00
Middleweight Wanderlei Silva def. Cung Le KO (knees and punches) 2 4:49
Bantamweight Urijah Faber def. Brian Bowles Submission (guillotine choke) 2 1:27 [a]
Welterweight Martin Kampmann def. Rick Story Decision (split) (30–27, 28-29, 29-28) 3 5:00
Light Heavyweight Stephan Bonnar def. Kyle Kingsbury Decision (unanimous) (30–25, 30–27, 30–27) 3 5:00

Light Heavyweight Ryan Bader def. Jason Brilz KO (punch) 1 1:17
Bantamweight Michael McDonald def. Alex Soto KO (punches) 1 0:56

Middleweight Chris Weidman def. Tom Lawlor Technical Submission (D’Arce choke) 1 2:07
Lightweight Gleison Tibau def. Rafael dos Anjos Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 30–27) 3 5:00
Catchweight (141 lb) Miguel Torres def. Nick Pace Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27) 3 5:00
Welterweight Seth Baczynski def. Matt Brown Submission (guillotine choke) 2 0:42
Catchweight (158 lb) Danny Castillo def. Shamar Bailey TKO (punches) 1 4:52

3 Likes

3 Likes

Damn. I’m going to have to go back and look. 2011 I think was the best

1 Like

The good ole days

1 Like

Used to be familiar with every name on every card top to bottom back then…now I’m lucky to know more than 5 on a main card

9 Likes

2011??? Shove that shit in your kitchen drawer with all those papers you haven’t looked at in years.

Fucken mentioning Fedor vs Hendo… are you crazy bro? Try the mid 2000’s.

1 Like

97 was a good year

Yeah, but maybe your recollection is blending the 2000’s together. It was a great period. But can you name an individual year, with a list of 30 great fights, from then?

1 Like

Yes I can.

2 Likes

2004-2016 hard to pick just one year

I like rewatching the first few Gracie UFC tournaments even tho I didn’t watch live at the time (started watching in 2004). Also, the entire Pride era is nostalgic for me

Been going downhill ever since WME-IMG imo

2008 - because that’s the year my man Rashad shocked Chuck Liddell, then defeated Forrest Griffin to win the UFC light heavyweight title.

1 Like

If I had to pick one year I guess 2015 would be the peak of MMAs golden age
-Conor legendary wins vs Mendes and Aldo (13 seconds vs the reigning p4p #1 will be talked about for hundreds of years or as long as MMA is a sport. Craziest moment ever)
-Rory vs Robbie arguably best fight of all time
-DC winning the vacant belt after Jones popped for coke
-Rousey got exposed in hilarious fashion
-Pettis and Cain are both dethroned in upsets

1 Like

2007 boy

Amazing year.

I’d have to look at things on paper and it would take some thought to come up with my “best” year in MMA but people will have so many different answers based on personal experience.

Not as specific as a single year in some ways but I can say that the 2003-2006 PRIDE HW division and the 2016-2022 UFC LW divisions have been my favorite promotional division periods in the history of the sport.

Thinking of a single year to call the best for the sport across all the weight classes and promotions… thats a tough one.

1 Like

Look at all those fights that happened in 2005 in Pride. It was a who’s who of legends.

1 Like

The year I started watching MMA and why my username is what it is.

1 Like