What Was You First Day of BJJ Like?

all i remember was laying face down and tapping.

i forget who it was but he was like "i didnt even do anything".

nervously finds balls to go to first class

come tonight.

Wutang - I showed up, died during the shrimping down the mat drills not counting the other warmups. Died doing the armbar drill then got smashed in class by the two head instructors. I stopped after that due to fear of puking on the mat.

thats exactly my experience. except I got got smashed by white belts instead of instructors.

My first encounter with BJJ was in around 1990-91 (pre UFC 1), I was working out with a friend in his garage lifting weights and this Brazilian guy walked in, I knew him from surfing and we talked and he joined us lifting. He then asked if we would like to join him in the afternoon doing some Jiu-jitsu. I had heard about guys going from the North Shore to town to train with a guy (Relson and Romolo), but had never done it so I was like "Yeah"!

I met the guy at Rocky Point in the late afternoon and of course he wasn't there, he was on Braso time (I would learn about this through my BJJ life). I was ready to leave and he showed up, he was all happy! He asked me to grab him in a headlock, I did holding all strong trying to squeeze his head off, then I remember laying with my head in the sand and my arm being extended, he stopped and held me there and said "this is arm locky" in his braso accent.. LOL.. then he continued to beat the shit out of me for around a half hour or so till I had enough, never really showed me anything, just throw me and submitted my over and over. I guess it was my first lesson of tapping! LOL

I know the guy really well now, he's from Carlson and he is old school BJJer, he was the guy who took Zen Mario Sperry to his first class. He's a tough MOFO and crazy as can be!!

^^^now that's a great recollection of a first day! Seriously...

....and i'm happy you can actually remember that far back jdd. Ha!

*kidding ;)

its not easy being old! :)

and its jjd, not jdd=(

Basically the first week or so I remember my throat being sore alot from gi chokes, to the point where it was tough to swallow when eating. Also, my kneecaps hurt just from being on your knees a lot. It's so weird how your body quickly gets used to stuff. I can't imaging being sore from stupid things like than anymore.

Nowadays I'm just sore from stupid injuries...

jjd -  its not easy being old! :)

and its jjd, not jdd=(

yeah sub its jjd 8==}

I just remember being the smallest guy there except for a 2 stripe blue who is one of my best friends now. I got trashed. There was a long single interval line and no one stepped out of it or they got trashed worse. I figured that I would just suck it up and have my ass handed to me. We took Jiu-Jitsu to back up our mouths so I figured that this was standard practice for martial arts schools because I never took a formal martial arts class before. I went back every class and did not submit anyone for 6 months straight. I just went there and got tapped a few hundred times every night.

NECKCRANK808 - 
jjd -  its not easy being old! :)

and its jjd, not jdd=(

yeah sub its jjd 8==}

jjd, that's the part i was "kidding" about...kidding :)

NC, it's SUB koddammit, not sub!

^^or Stub as the ladies like to say...

Mike Onzuka - ^^or Stub as the ladies like to say...

i wouldn't go so far as to call yourself a "lady" Mike...SheMale is closer to the truth. Ha!

a friend of mine knew i had done some wrestling and wanted help with takedowns. i agreed. we start and he asked if i wanted to learn some ground work. we start rolling and he's just killing me. some other guys show up and i roll with the smallest one. i get a nice head and arm throw and everyone starts with their comments about him getting thrown by someone who doesn't train in bjj. next thing i know, he's got me in a triangle and i'm tapping. i'm amazed that this little guy could basically kick my ass so bad so quickly. started training a little while later.

the first memory of class was pain and being tired as hell. also, more pain, more pain, and more pain. been fun ever since. still lots of pain.

all i remember is when i woke up, my underwear was missing and i my sphincter hurt for like a week. really weird stuff.

I vividly remember Mike mounting me and telling me not to push him up with straightened arms...I did and he armbarred me. We tried again and pushed him up again. Armbar.

I remember seeing this hot chick sitting on the side, just chillin'. I went up to her to make small talk and suprisingly, she knew a lot about jiu-jitsu. She was very nice and personable which gave me a false sense of hope.

I think it was a week later that I found out it was Relson's girlfriend. I had a similar incident involving Margarida's girlfriend a few years later.

As for Sub remembering all that shit about his "first time"...all I can say is that he has a good memory since that happened YEARS AND YEARS AGO! Cold busted!

BMFL, that was last Tuesday.

I remember being odd man out during instruction period at O2 (Casca Grossa back then) and having to pair up with Mine Onzuka. I tapped about a trillion times when sparring started. Next partner was Malcolm for rest of sparring session. At 220lbs with avg athleticism, I was thrown around like a pitbull playing with a small chew toy. When he got tired, he kept side control or full mount on me for what felt like hours.....

Mike Onzuka - I just remember being the smallest guy there except for a 2 stripe blue who is one of my best friends now. I got trashed. There was a long single interval line and no one stepped out of it or they got trashed worse. I figured that I would just suck it up and have my ass handed to me. We took Jiu-Jitsu to back up our mouths so I figured that this was standard practice for martial arts schools because I never took a formal martial arts class before. I went back every class and did not submit anyone for 6 months straight. I just went there and got tapped a few hundred times every night.

Infuggincredible!

forget Gracieology, makes 1st entry into Onzunkaology

Fun and scary. so paronoid i would hurt someone... i didnt even know what a submission was. or how to do an armbar.