What Will Banning IVs Do?

Are fighters going to be remanded to a doctor's office to re hydrate under supervision? Will they check for needle marks?

How can this possibly be enforced?

It will be a clusterfuck. Maybe they check for a prickmark. If thats the case I would prick my prick. If ya smell what im steppin in

From what I've read, it has something to do with the saline from the IV bag being something commissions can test for Phone Post 3.0

GrilliamG - From what I've read, it has something to do with the saline from the IV bag being something commissions can test for Phone Post 3.0

It's the plastics.  Trace amounts leak into the IV and into your system

It's gonna kill someone. That's what it's gonna do Phone Post 3.0

Molsonmuscle360 - 
GrilliamG - From what I've read, it has something to do with the saline from the IV bag being something commissions can test for Phone Post 3.0

Saline is simple to make. I can't imagine traces of plastic would be much of a roadblock.

What are they worried about with the IVs?

Why can't they let people use them under the supervision of some sort of official person? Phone Post 3.0

Rogan said it has something to do with blood doping. He claims he knows fighters who are doing it and the IV ban will help prevent this. Phone Post 3.0

i believe the intent of the rule is to prevent fighters from cutting dangerious amounts of water to make weight. if they are unable to rehydrate as quickley they will be forced to cut less water.

at least thats what i would assume the purpose is. whether or not it works or just causes fighters to fight in a more dehydrated state, only time will tell.

i personally hate the entire concept of weight cutting all together, fighters kill themselves to drop weight to fight in a lower weight class, as i see it, for a size advantage over their opponents. but if the whole division is doing that than these fighters are doing it all for not. in my opinion, weigh ins should be held pre fight, cage side, with pre agreed upon terms about what will happen if your opponent misses weight

for example,

miss by 1lb = x % of purse

miss by 5lb = xx % of purse

and so on.

Dont cut a shitload of weight. Simple Phone Post 3.0

stonepony - Are fighters going to be remanded to a doctor's office to re hydrate under supervision? Will they check for needle marks?

You stay in the arena for 4 to 6 hrs after, or the fight night blood test checks for saline Phone Post 3.0

12SixElbow - 
stonepony - Are fighters going to be remanded to a doctor's office to re hydrate under supervision? Will they check for needle marks?

You stay in the arena for 4 to 6 hrs after, or the fight night blood test checks for saline Phone Post 3.0

They can blood test for salt+water?

I remember in the original article it said the reason for the ban was that getting a saline IV helps mask test results. So if you were on something then got an IV it would cover up any last remaining trace or make it difficult to detect in your blood. Phone Post 3.0

Fighters will have to move up divisions. Phone Post 3.0

Senester - I remember in the original article it said the reason for the ban was that getting a saline IV helps mask test results. So if you were on something then got an IV it would cover up any last remaining trace or make it difficult to detect in your blood. Phone Post 3.0

I would think it's just CYA for the organization and the sport. When someone dies from cutting weight, they can say they had rules in place to protect against dangerous weight cuts.

I don't see how they enforce it though.

If the concern is simply weight cutting than the should implement the rules proposed by Andy Foster in California and place weight limitations on fighters at proscribed times prior to fight. Limiting the use of IVs is only going to adversely effect the health interests of the fighters. Phone Post 3.0

Nothing Phone Post 3.0

It's fucking bullshit. It makes the sport more dangerous for long term brain injury effects. Phone Post 3.0

Never_rolled - Some of the fighters who attended the meeting at ATT told me the IV's can mask EPO. It wasn't steroids they were worried about. They can detect the plasticides from the bag and I would imagine the IV tube. The tube wasn't specifically stated just speculation on my part. The consensus was many of these guys are going to go up in weight. I was given specific names but not my place to mention them.

It would have to take time for plastic to leech in to saline. This can be avoided by making your own saline or using different materials for the bag/tubing.

Saline via IV has been used for almost 200 years. Long before plastics.

I assume the hoses were some kind of rubber.

stonepony - 
Molsonmuscle360 - 

Saline is simple to make. I can't imagine traces of plastic would be much of a roadblock.

Yeah, they would.  Unless you are an idiot, you aren't going to take an IV from a non sterile vessel.  IV bags use a very specific form of plastic that is easy to find in blood tests.  Say someone started using a glass bottle for instance.  They are running two serious risks.  Contamination of the bottle, and air bubbles in the IV solution.  Both of which could be potentially fatal.