What will your excuse be when Conor beats Aldo?

I just want to know before hand.

TTT

"Short notice for Mendes" seems to have the #1 spot right now for this fight. I'm thinking "Rusty from injury" will be a popular one for an Aldo fight if he loses.

He didn't eat his Weetabix that morning.

Seriously, I think Aldo will win that fight, but there will be no excuses from me if he loses fair and square, by close decision, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if McGregor turns out to be the better fighter, I just think Aldo likely has the tools to beat him.

I thought Herb came in with a very bad stoppage, but would never say "but Mendes would have won if Herb didn't stop it."

Something we'll never know now, but McGregor looked way more dangerous when the fight was on the feet. My guess is McGregor would have turned it up and won early R3, riding off the damage inflicted late R2, but irregardless, I hated that stoppage.

You Conor rapidos kill me. What exactly did you see last night that even remotely makes you think this poser can beat the greatest fighter his division has ever seen??!?

McGregor did not taste 1/100th the damage Jose Aldo could inflict on him. Mendes tried perhaps 2 kicks the entire fight. 2 solid blasts from THE MOST LETHAL KICKER in the division and McGregor would be instantly looking for help from St. Barnabus.

Those spinning bullshit kicks he tried against Mendes? Aldo would slip them and crack McGregor so hard he would think Dublin is the capitol of Essex.

McGregor got exposed last night exactly as Mendes said he would: a one dimensional fighter with huge holes in his game.

Chaelismyhero - I just want to know before hand.

People like you are interesting. I'm going to make a leap, so I can play along just like you.

You like to jump into things before you really know whats what. You often get in over your head.

I think for the majority of Conor doubters, it isn't that he isn't good, it's a question of "how good is he" because he certainly hasn't proven in a quantifiable way he is as good as some, like you, think he is.

The fight with Mendes is an example of this. You overlook the glaring issues that are presented with the fight and look only at the name. I personally care about the manner in which Conor won, more than actually winning. For Conor, going 5 rounds with Chad where Chad was ineffective in take downs would have been more impressive than winning in the manner he did.

The issue is that Chad was clearly not at his best. That's obvious. Regardless of Conor intelligently attacking his gas tank, the gas tank was already half empty.

So what does this tell us about Conor? What did he actually prove to hush the people doubting his claim to being the best in the division? Not much. The holes people thought he had? He has them.

Going forward for Conor this is going to be a question of, how good ARE his strengths? Are they enough to overcome his short comings? I'd love to see Conor/Chad where both have full camps with full knowledge of who they are fighting. THAT would be a fantastic test, and a win in THAT fight is going to give us a better indication of where Conor actually stands.

There is no doubt Conor is a top 5 guy. There was no doubt at least in my mind that he was a top 5 guy before this fight. Do I think he is the top guy in the division? No. Do I think Chad would probably beat him in the fight I just described? Yes. I think Frankie also beats him. I think on paper he has a better chance against Aldo, but Aldo is transcendent and he could very well make it look easy.

This isn't about hating him, or doubting him, or trying to down play him. It's about investigating him. It'd about really seeing the truth behind the hype. He's good enough to beat that Chad Mendes on short notice. That's a big accomplishment. Let's not crown him as the GOAT quite yet, ok?

BuddyRevell - 

"Short notice for Mendes" seems to have the #1 spot right now for this fight. I'm thinking "Rusty from injury" will be a popular one for an Aldo fight if he loses.

Lol yep,they just can't give the Irishman any credit.

MMAO - He didn't eat his Weetabix that morning.

Seriously, I think Aldo will win that fight, but there will be no excuses from me if he loses fair and square, by close decision, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if McGregor turns out to be the better fighter, I just think Aldo likely has the tools to beat him.

I thought Herb came in with a very bad stoppage, but would never say "but Mendes would have won if Herb didn't stop it."

Something we'll never know now, but McGregor looked way more dangerous when the fight was on the feet. My guess is McGregor would have turned it up and won early R3, riding off the damage inflicted late R2, but irregardless, I hated that stoppage.
Regardless IMO Phone Post 3.0

Conor is gonna be like Weidman. Keeps knocking out everyone's hero so they keep finding reasons to doubt him. Watch same shit will happen when he floor Where's Waldo Aldo. Phone Post 3.0

It was a touch early, but he wasn't responding, rolling away, or grabbing for a leg. Chad just stopped moving after letting his head hit the canvas first. I think the thing that makes the stoppage acceptable is that Chad didn't immediately pop up and start screaming at Herb. Mendes was out of it and yes, 10 more punches would have convinced everyone; but those were 10 punches than he didn't need to take. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, I will admit that the stoppage was a little sketch but Chad turtled up in the fetal position and left Herb with no choice but to stop it. He reffed the fight very well and was beyond unbiased, he gave Mendes a million warning for fingers in the eyes and cut and told McGregor pretty much to stop bitching about not getting stood up.

Herb Dean reffed my pro debut, I have a lot of respect for him and my respect grew after him not playing favorites last night. Mendes didn't do himself any favors by turtling up in the fetal position with a couple tucks left. Herb just wanted him to see another day, if it wasn't the 2nd, it was gonna be early in the 3rd. Phone Post 3.0

Oh I just want to make this clear I like Aldo. I think he's a cool guy. I don't wish anything ill towards him but I think Conor finds a way to beat him.

Spinning Shit - 

It was a touch early, but he wasn't responding, rolling away, or grabbing for a leg. Chad just stopped moving after letting his head hit the canvas first. I think the thing that makes the stoppage acceptable is that Chad didn't immediately pop up and start screaming at Herb. Mendes was out of it and yes, 10 more punches would have convinced everyone; but those were 10 punches than he didn't need to take. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, but you give the other fighter an appropriate amount of time to respond. Depends on the position he is in and whether damaging strikes are landing in the meantime IMO. For me Mendes wasn't given enough time to improve his position or show a defensive response, given the punches that landed after the knockdown weren't landing cleanly.

The position he ended up with is consistent both with appropriate defence after hitting the ground, and being out of it – need a bit more time to establish which one. I think an extra 4 seconds (assuming a clean, damaging strike didn't land in the meantime) would have been fair to Mendes while McGregor was following up on the ground, before calling it as a TKO.

Easy for me to say as an observer, I know. Herb is the best ref IMO, I just thought the stoppage was terrible. It happens, especially when explosive/dangerous fighters are involved.

WARcabrinha15 - 

Yeah, I will admit that the stoppage was a little sketch but Chad turtled up in the fetal position and left Herb with no choice but to stop it. He reffed the fight very well and was beyond unbiased, he gave Mendes a million warning for fingers in the eyes and cut and told McGregor pretty much to stop bitching about not getting stood up.

Herb Dean reffed my pro debut, I have a lot of respect for him and my respect grew after him not playing favorites last night. Mendes didn't do himself any favors by turtling up in the fetal position with a couple tucks left. Herb just wanted him to see another day, if it wasn't the 2nd, it was gonna be early in the 3rd. Phone Post 3.0

I feel considering the way Mendes fell, the turtle position with both arms covering his head was a legit defence for the first couple seconds after hitting the ground. I don't think he was given time to try to explode or manoeuvre out of that position. Fine if he's getting destroyed with big shots in the meantime, but he wasn't -- the follow-up strikes weren't connecting in a damaging way.

I'm with you on respect for Herb Dean, I think he's a great ref. Just didn't see this stoppage the same way.

Can't believe this 'early stoppage' crap, I think Mendes would have mentioned it right, he was hurt he was gassed, why not give McGregor credit where it's due? Also if he's in shape all year round and by all accounts he was expecting to step in so no excuses about being short notice please. Phone Post 3.0

Ring rust. Don't worry though, people will warm up to Conor soon enough Phone Post 3.0