What would you do..?

So I'm leaving this house party last night, quite early because I have work in the morning. As I'm walking down the street I see this young guy on his own staggering towards me. He's wearing big Nike trainers, very skinny jeans and is altogether looking a mixture of frail and intoxicated. I can seeing him looking my way in quite an odd manner and I consciously avoid his gaze.

Then just as he's walking past me, he very purposefully says 'fuck you', right at me. I could've easily retaliated violently without any fear of physical harm, he was truly feeble and quite drunk as well. It was also dark and on a quiet road, so there would be no chance of the police showing up, or anyone really getting involved. However, having a great evening with friends had left me in a really good mood and so without thinking I just walked on by, not even validating the insult with any kind of response.

Yet his unanswered disrespect left me with a slightly annoyed feeling, as if maybe I should have retaliated in some way either verbally or physically. What say you OG? What is the appropriate response in the situation described?

i know that feeling and i hate it. lingers for waaaaay too long.

still u did the right thing not getting involved.  u know youd maul that drunk.

if youd crushed him u might have to worry about jail/court, retaliation at a later date... just a bunch of bs really.

I would laugh and walk off.

"Yeah fuck you too"
And keep walking. Phone Post

Mark Hunt style walk off KO Phone Post 3.0

jack_wilshere - So I'm leaving this house party last night, quite early because I have work in the morning. As I'm walking down the street I see this young guy on his own staggering towards me. He's wearing big Nike trainers, very skinny jeans and is altogether looking a mixture of frail and intoxicated. I can seeing him looking my way in quite an odd manner and I consciously avoid his gaze.

Then just as he's walking past me, he very purposefully says 'fuck you', right at me. I could've easily retaliated violently without any fear of physical harm, he was truly feeble and quite drunk as well. It was also dark and on a quiet road, so there would be no chance of the police showing up, or anyone really getting involved. However, having a great evening with friends had left me in a really good mood and so without thinking I just walked on by, not even validating the insult with any kind of response.

Yet his unanswered disrespect left me with a slightly annoyed feeling, as if maybe I should have retaliated in some way either verbally or physically. What say you OG? What is the appropriate response in the situation described?
You are now an adult. VTFU Phone Post 3.0

hercules_mma_kosark -
jack_wilshere - So I'm leaving this house party last night, quite early because I have work in the morning. As I'm walking down the street I see this young guy on his own staggering towards me. He's wearing big Nike trainers, very skinny jeans and is altogether looking a mixture of frail and intoxicated. I can seeing him looking my way in quite an odd manner and I consciously avoid his gaze.

Lol well put. I completely agree. Good on you OP. You did the right thing Phone Post 3.0

Bwaaark bwark bwark Phone Post 3.0

ranier wolfcastle - 

i know that feeling and i hate it. lingers for waaaaay too long.

still u did the right thing not getting involved.  u know youd maul that drunk.

if youd crushed him u might have to worry about jail/court, retaliation at a later date... just a bunch of bs really.

Respect.

And you did the right thing, OP. You are not responsible for balancing karma and shouldn't risk endangering even your future self. Tough Guy will eventually "fuck you" someone with much less to lose than you.

DiazsBongWater - Leg kick Phone Post 3.0
Initially I was thinking this would've been appropriate, but in hindsight I think walking away was the best decision.

Usually when people say or do something weird like that, they're experiencing some kind of problem in their life. Phone Post 3.0

Played knockout? Phone Post 3.0

Texas Top Team - I would laugh and walk off.
. Phone Post 3.0

Few years ago I was out of work, had been for quite a while. I had a job interview, so I was dressed up in my nice suit. No money for gas, so I had to take the bus to the interview.

The interview did NOT go well.

I was taking the bus back home, and as I'm walking to where I was living I had to walk past a 7-11, and I was just SO SAD that I had no money so snacks. All I had to look forward to was Mac & Cheese for dinner. Again.

As I kept walking I saw this black guy, older than me, shorts & wife beater. As we passed each other he looked right at me and said "Fuck you."

I just kept walking, and nearly laughed out loud. All he saw was a white man in a suit, "The Man" who had kept him down his whole life, and in that moment he probably had more money in his pockets and in the bank than I did.

Hey.....

Holes is holes Phone Post 3.0

Yell back: "l wild each it!" Phone Post 3.0

The real problem is civilized culture, while good can foster people like this. Imagine if that was the wild west. Natural selection would ensure that he would go the way of the dodo. Phone Post 3.0

If some random guy saying fuck you has a lasting impact on your psyche, you need to grow up. Phone Post 3.0

hercules_mma_kosark -

Exactly this. Phone Post 3.0

Just to play devil's advocate... what if he does that to everyone he encounters, mostly because he can without any repercussions. Tomorrow he is going to do it to a little old lady and scare her half to death. You beating him down would have taught him an important lesson and saved other people from having to endure his behavior.