Trainer

Cornerman

Doctor

Judge

Spectator

Referee

Security

and even a Ring Girl

What are your biggest to smallest likes and gripes about MMA shows.

For example, as a trainer I don't like weight mismatches, a 190lber going against a 230 lber is not cool because of two different weight classes and the obvious 40's.

For example as a ref I don't care for fight protests until the fights are over for the night. If something is that bad then we'll turn it over to a No Contest or something, but stopping a show and making a big scene sucks.

Think of ANY gripe or dislike and please post it here. Thank you.

As a fighter I don't like the limit of submissions to exclude heel hooks or spine cranks ( aka the twister).

How about the definition of an amature and professional fighter... is one paid ZERO and the other at least $50? No head gear or rules change? What is the difference between Am and Pro?

How about no fighter contracts which leads to pay disputes. That really sucks.

As a promoter, how about no shows, how should they be delt with? Or anyone, how should no shows be delt with, what should be the penalty¿

OK, OK, the reason I ask all of this is that I'm on the North Dakota MMA Commission and have input into what rules and regulations will be put into place. If there is something that is compelling I will push for it, and hard. I want this done right in No.Dak. Thank you for all of your input.

P.S. Thanks to Chris Nelson (Wontsubmit) for getting MMA legal in No. Dak. He really worked hard to get it done.

Spectator = cages that make for bad visibility. Some cages you can hardly see the fight even from the middle seats.

(Also, I prefer rings, but not everyone does)

Yougottawanna,

Good point, I've heard this debate before in Fargo, ND. One promotion uses an octogon cage and the other a ring. Some like one but not the other.

I, as a grappler like the cage for obvious reasons, we don't fall out on a take down and we don't get stood up for fighting on the skirts.

What should be the minimum height and width of a cage or ring? And any other input on the matter is appreciated, thank you.

The thing I dislike most about mma shows is the lack of conformity. If its in a ring or cage the rules should be consistent with other organizations.

The unified rules should be followed not just for safety but for conformity. They are the most popular rules and have the best chance of keeping everyone on the same page.

I am interested also in peoples opinions of other issues like,

1.Should promoters supply gloves for each bout?

2.Should wieghins be on the same day of the fight?

3.Should promoters be allowed to put on shows if they cant afford to pay fighters?

4. Should fighters be allowed to ref?

I'm not particularly turned on by camel toes. For god sakes Dana, class your skirt up a bit.

i hate lowlifes yelling stupid shit and smoking cigarettes in the audience

wontsubmit,

1. For Am for sure but what Pro doesn't have their own gloves.

2. Night before, just to keep it uniform.

3. Do you mean, should promoters have fighters pay in escrow? Promoters that gamble on having enough attendence to pay the fighters is lame. The fine for not paying a fighter should be 5 times the purse or more, with two times the purse going to the fighter and the rest to the State MMA fund.

4. Not if they are also fighting that same night. Fighters or ex-fighter would be the best ref's in my opinion anyway. Some TKD or boxing ref would just muff it up anyway. What are you getting at here? I see no problem here.

max power,

Crowds yelling stupid shit is hard to stop but I agree, then again they are paying to be in there to kind of live out their alter-ego and be kind of an ass.

Burning of tabacco should be a friggin' crime at any sporting event, but it is illegal in any public event anyway in ND if I'm not mistaken. wontsubmit, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm going to compile a list from this thread in a couple of days or when ever it burns out. I'll give credit to those who contributed.

3. Do you mean, should promoters have fighters pay in escrow? Promoters that gamble on having enough attendence for pay the fighters is lame. The fine for not paying a fighter should be 5 times the purse or more, with two times the purse going to the fighter and the rest to the State MMA fund.

I mean anyone who does not pay should lose their license, not after 2 warnings but instantly.

4. Not if they are also fighting that same night. Fighters or ex-fighter would be the best ref's in my opinion anyway. Some TKD or boxing ref would just muff it up anyway. What are you getting at here? I see no problem here.

Its an issue of conflicting interests, just wondering what peoples thoughts are.

Woah! congatulations to Steve Nelson on getting MMA legalized in N. Dakota!

BuuDa,

It's Chris Nelson not Steve.

wontsubmit,

1. I like your idea in conjuction with mine.

2. What would the conflict of interest be?

Spectator :

1)Cages with bad visibility.

2)Cameramen and photographers standing around the ring blocking your view.

3)Idiot drunks.

Chitat,

Thank you

Come on!!! No one has a gripe or like about MMA shows from any perspective?

Biggest gripe as a fan? Judges who aren't qualified to judge a MMA match.

I think same day weigh-ins would eliminate the weight discrepancy you mentioned,so fighters wouldn't have 24 hours to stack on the extra weight,ala Mr. Ortiz.