What's next for Lawler?!

KenP - Lawler v Nick Diaz II

Glue Factory...he didnt look great in his win against Cerrone either who really is pretty blown up and terrible at 170 himself. Both are in the interesting position that they will beat the journeymen and gatekeepers almost 100% of the time but any hungry top 5 fighter and a lot of the young up and comers are going to beat them seemingly every time. I think both are winding down their careers, they arnt the type to "get hungry" they are both fight-lifestyle kind of guys who are always ready for a fight and dont seemingly need to be extra motivated. I think theyre just losing motivation at this point to get punched in the head, and i dont blame them.

WattMell - Lawler vs Masvidal?

Masvidal wins…Robby can get pretty sloppy at times

ons ear -
WattMell - Lawler vs Masvidal?

Masvidal wins…Robby can get pretty sloppy at times

That’s sort of the beauty of MMA, you don’t need to be technically sound to win. Sometimes your style just offsets the others. If Robbie came in aggressive like he did against Hendricks and Condit he would destroy Masvidal. We’ve seen Masvidal be extremely hesitant in his fights but we are sort of starting to see Robbie be more hesitant. 

Anyways I hope Robbie takes a break. Fighting on one leg is hard but he's been in the sport so long that a loss doesn't scar him anymore.

yabadaba -
KenP - Lawler v Nick Diaz II

KenP - Lawler v Nick Diaz II

BigBeefy - 

Are you guys serious ? He was in the fight till his knee gave out then he couldn’t stand or hardly throw any punches he stood against the cage to help himself stand. Had the knee held up I reckon it would’ve been a completely different fight 

This.

He (and many others) just need to be careful about the low leg kicks now that everyone is using them - especially against the strong kickers.

I know in his corner he said something happened on the ground - his leg landed wrong - but those kicks had to have an effect as well.

This retirement talk is crazy, it was very obvious his leg was f’ed up during the fight.

He is still a huge threat to the division - he’s not past his prime like other legends have become recently.

Having said that however, if he feels it’s time to hang em up, he had an amazing career and he is one of the most loved fighters there ever was.

WAR ROBBIE

64FordF100 -
BigBeefy - 

Are you guys serious ? He was in the fight till his knee gave out then he couldn’t stand or hardly throw any punches he stood against the cage to help himself stand. Had the knee held up I reckon it would’ve been a completely different fight 

I’m serious, I’d like to see him retire. He’s been a pro since he was 19 years old. The 2 Hendricks fights, McDonald, Condit, those fights were wars, he got KO’d by Woodley. I trained with him for a lot of years and he’s a great person, he has a family, and I want him to have a good quality of life after his career is over. I don’t want to see him ending up like Diego Sanchez, or a couple other guys I knew how stayed in it too long.

I was at his UFC debut in Bossier City, La.  He fought Aaron Reilly and won a tough fough decision. Robbie’s strikes reverberated through the crowd, sort of like standing next to a big guy while he whacks something with a sledgehammer. I was an instant fan, and will always be one. Remember when he fought Melvin Manhoef? Melvin kicked Robbie’s legs so hard, they nearly came off. Robbie stayed in it, and would go on to KO Manhoef. The 2nd McDonald fight is maybe the best fight ever. If Robbie continues to fight, I’ll watch. Just don’t want to see him in a bad way health wise.

64FordF100 - I hope he retires. I have too much respect for him to want to see him used as a stepping stone for up and coming guys. I also have concern for his long term health. He's been doing it for a really long time.

love him but buh bye

Nate Diaz then retirement

I think Robbys slipping a little but he's still top 10 in maybe the toughest division. Whatever he decides is ok, i'll always be a big fan. 

Carogan - 

He's 6-2 in his last 8 fights.  His losses are to one current and one former champion.  

For the life of me I can never understand why fans start writing off a guy after only one or two losses after a good run.  Of course if his knee is really fucked that's another story.  But why is it that there are fans that are always ready to bury an athlete - its not like MMA has anyone that ever stays undefeated...everyone loses even the best.

Lawler is no washup. If he wants to retire because he has mentally had enough, I respect that. But retiring because he can’t keep up with the best in the world would be wrong.

Any update on what he injured, or if it was true that he was injured coming into the fight?