What's so great about Mayweather?

I understand this is a MMA forum, but I just wanted to get everyones thoughts on this. Why are there so many Floyd nutthuggers in the world? If they acted like regular fans, that's fine. But Floyd fans act like he is the greatest athlete to ever grace this earth. No doubting his ability. He's a good defensive boxer, slips punches and counters really well. My problem is not with his skill. My problem, is his record and fans. He is undefeated, but in recent memory, how many of his opponents actually had a chance? The cotto fight was the closest he came to losing, and although Floyd got his plenty of times, he still won. To me, he hand-picks opponents to suit his style to pad his record. The fight with pacman would've been a fight where Floyd wasn't expected to dominate, but he found an excuse for that not to happen. Of course, his fans blame pacman for not accepting the fight. To be, he's not as great as his record shows, he just knows how to pick his wins.

/rant

isn't it the standard practice to pad your record in boxing?

I am not really a fan of his, he is a little asshole.
But he is already fighting guys oftentimes larger than him, sometimes in a weightclass above where he is currently with almost no BS. How many fighters argue over a pound or two for catchweights and shit?
For the record, it is my opinion that he would have just about ran a shutout on Manny, but that is another discussion. He did fight decent competition at the lower weightclasses. Heck, the guy isn't very big for 147 either.

He treats women well... Phone Post 3.0

I like when he flashes stacks of cash in public Phone Post 3.0

thatkidrichard91 - I understand this is a MMA forum, but I just wanted to get everyones thoughts on this. Why are there so many Floyd nutthuggers in the world? If they acted like regular fans, that's fine. But Floyd fans act like he is the greatest athlete to ever grace this earth. No doubting his ability. He's a good defensive boxer, slips punches and counters really well. My problem is not with his skill. My problem, is his record and fans. He is undefeated, but in recent memory, how many of his opponents actually had a chance? The cotto fight was the closest he came to losing, and although Floyd got his plenty of times, he still won. To me, he hand-picks opponents to suit his style to pad his record. The fight with pacman would've been a fight where Floyd wasn't expected to dominate, but he found an excuse for that not to happen. Of course, his fans blame pacman for not accepting the fight. To be, he's not as great as his record shows, he just knows how to pick his wins.

/rant

Most people who understand that styles make fights and have a good knowledge of boxing know that Pacman had as much of a chance as any of Mayweathers recent opponents.

Pacman/Mayweather would like a lot like Marques/Mayweather. 

Pacman fans are just as bad as Mayweather fans IMO.

Mmm mayweather didnt duck pacman its the other way around. Mayweather beat all his opponents in their original championship weightclass which people overlook he has always been the smaller man only the marquez foght he was bigger. He beats ppl and makes it look easy he has great skills. Pacman fights dehydrated weight cut opponents of anything his record is the one that is padded all of his oponnents has been the smaller man almost all. Phone Post

Extremely talented but he is a bore to watch. The reason people like him is because he is rich, black flamboyant character. His personality sells the ppvs and gets him fans.

get him Barry.

Tom O'Bedlam - 
thatkidrichard91 - I understand this is a MMA forum, but I just wanted to get everyones thoughts on this. Why are there so many Floyd nutthuggers in the world? If they acted like regular fans, that's fine. But Floyd fans act like he is the greatest athlete to ever grace this earth. No doubting his ability. He's a good defensive boxer, slips punches and counters really well. My problem is not with his skill. My problem, is his record and fans. He is undefeated, but in recent memory, how many of his opponents actually had a chance? The cotto fight was the closest he came to losing, and although Floyd got his plenty of times, he still won. To me, he hand-picks opponents to suit his style to pad his record. The fight with pacman would've been a fight where Floyd wasn't expected to dominate, but he found an excuse for that not to happen. Of course, his fans blame pacman for not accepting the fight. To be, he's not as great as his record shows, he just knows how to pick his wins.

/rant

Most people who understand that styles make fights and have a good knowledge of boxing know that Pacman had as much of a chance as any of Mayweathers recent opponents.

:rolleyes:

since when is manny considered a counter puncher

EyEHaVeYoU - 

Mmm mayweather didnt duck pacman its the other way around. Mayweather beat all his opponents in their original championship weightclass which people overlook he has always been the smaller man only the marquez foght he was bigger. He beats ppl and makes it look easy he has great skills. Pacman fights dehydrated weight cut opponents of anything his record is the one that is padded all of his oponnents has been the smaller man almost all. Phone Post

it was all about money, speaking of special request

' "Remember, Floyd called Winky out; Winky didn't call Floyd out," Shaw said. "We were even willing to come down in weight to 154."

Because Wright, who prefers to fight at 160, could probably put on as many as 15 pounds between the weigh-in (the day before) and the fight and enter the ring as high as 165-170, Mayweather's camp requested a morning-of-the-fight weigh-in. That included a stipulation that Wright couldn't go more than eight pounds above the limit.'

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/22/Sports/Wright_Mayweather_bou.shtml

Mertvaya Ruka - isn't it the standard practice to pad your record in boxing?

whats wrong with 'padding' early in your career and its not like mma is immune to such practice

Alot of the nuthugger's never Saw Sugar Ray ,hitman Hearns or Roberto duran FIGHT ,so they really have nothing to compare him too.

Thus they think he is the greatest of all time.

Crazy. Phone Post 3.0

There is not a successful boxer active that doesn't pick his own fights. Thing is Money has more options because everyone accepts because of the payday.

Everyones favorite boxer Tyson picked all his fights and it was a favourable match up for him as well.

Welcome to boxing since Don King got his hands on the sport. Everyone is trying to recreate his success with Tyson and has been for the last 20 or so years.

There is not a successful boxer active that doesn't pick his own fights. Thing is Money has more options because everyone accepts because of the payday.

Everyones favorite boxer Tyson picked all his fights and it was a favourable match up for him as well.

Welcome to boxing since Don King got his hands on the sport. Everyone is trying to recreate his success with Tyson and has been for the last 20 or so years.

I usu dont address others by dates but 13'er, this is a forum to discuss all combat styles. always has, always will.

EyEHaVeYoU - 

This its what makes me dislike mayweather fans. I am, by no means, a pacman fan, I was actually rooting for Marquez when they last fought. But Mayweather ducked him. He accused him of steroids, so he wanted the blood testing. Manny didn't want that, in that case I don't think Floyd ducked him. However, when Manny finally agreed to blood testing, Mayweather found another reason to not make the fight happen. I hate when a fighter thinks he's bigger than the sport. Boxing was not doing to well, that fight wouldve done wonders for boxing. But no, Floyd had to be greedy and demand the bigger cut. Put your pride aside for one fight! There was plenty, PLENTY of money to be made from that fight, he should've did it for the fans, not push it away sure to not receiving the bigger cut

SubbedZER0 -

get him Barry.

Where is this from, I can hear the voice saying it in my head lol Phone Post 3.0

I don't really like Floyd's goofy minstrel show persona, but your criticisms seem nonsensical to me. With the possible exception of Victor Ortiz, his last several opponents have been excellent fighters who he completely dominated. It's funny because after the DLH fight I thought he looked beatable and I thought he'd lose in the following few years. But he hasn't. He's just looked better and better in every subsequent outing. Persona aside he's an absolute model of professionalism as an athlete and that's why he's better than ever at age 36.

mrmister - 
Tom O'Bedlam - 

/rant

:rolleyes:

since when is manny considered a counter puncher

Did I say he was?

I mean it would be Floyd fighting another smaller, slower guy that got demolished over 12 rounds.