What's so special about muay thai?

As for the difference between kickboxing and muay thai rules, to my knowledge. Both wear mouthguards, boxing gloves and groin protectors. In kickboxing you are only aloud to strike above the waist and only punching and kicking is aloud. In muay thai you are aloud to grapple (kind of like wrestling standing up), elbow, punch, kick and knee. In most western countries full rules arent permitted. In australia we dont used elbows (altho everyone still trains in them), i dont know about the U.S.......

note: I assuame FC kickboxing is the same thing as kickboxing.

zghfd from what I know what you call bando is lethwei. Bando is an animal imitation style. I honestly don't know much though, so better to go to:

http://www.thaing.net/

"clinching in MT is not comparable to grappling arts as it has a totally different objective"

How can you say that, most of the clinch work taught in MT is just Greco, and most smart MT artists would learn as much standup clinching as possible to give them the advantage in the clinch.

Grappling arts use he clinch for defence(shutting down your opponents ability to strike with knockout power) and takedowns, so does MT, they just teach you to strike back aswell.

"To me there is a simple test as to whether or not your Muay Thai gym is a McDojo or cardio kb school:

1. Do you spar regularly?"

What do you mean by regularly. I spar maybe once a week, and I feel that is adequate...

D

SkyeCG

Yeah, I just had a look at the site, quite interesting. My own knowledge of "bando" is that a friend trains in what i described but calls it bando. Given the knowldge the owner of that site obviously has I would have to agree with him about it being called Lethwei.

"In australia we dont used elbows (altho everyone still trains in them), i dont know about the U.S......."

I've seen heaps of fights in Australia under full thai rules, and not just in Queensland either.

yeah, I guess what I should have said was most fights are (and the fighters in my gym)

So, there's a huge thread on the UG now about TKD. And, of course, a bunch of people who sound like they don't know anything about standup keep parroting that MT is the best, don't do anything else.

This is what I'm talking about. For so many people MT is just the flavor of the month (year?) and they, in fact, don't know anything about MT. They just say it on instinct when asked what one must do to have good stand-up. Like this guy (no offense to original poster):

"everyone do yourself a favor. dont go to the web site, get your self in either muay thai (the best), boxing, san shou, or kyoushin karate. any of those are great stand up arts, tkd is up there with five animal kuing fu, and flying dragon ki attacks."

I just think this sounds ignorant.

"in greco the double on head tie (thai clinch) is illegal, u cant have both hands on the head, and its a nonscoring position"

One extra for MT.

"greco is all over under grips and bodylocks, and 90% parterre

none of this is used in muay thai, the stance is upright, the focus is on head/arm control (not body control) and striking opportunities "

I train the over under clinch, it's great for throwing knees to the head around the outside, even more so for MT than MMA (in MT there is no risk of the slam off the caught knee), and go watch some MT tapes and you'll see guys controllng arms at close range to open up for big kicks etc (Ignashov makes a habit of it).

That's true, but there are significant differences, especially in stance. Using a bodylock or underhook does not make someone a Greco-Roman wrestler, and the two arts do not share a common ancestor.

Set-ups, weight distribution, and use are all very different in MT as well. For example, you sure as hell don't want to let your hips drift back in a Thai clinch, whereas you are a-ok doing so in a Greco match.

However, it IS a good idea to train some greco to work your overall clinch skills, and some of the techniques can come in handy.

Hell yeah, they can!!!!

My assistant instructor, Kru Eric Kolesar, was part of the Army's Wrestling Team. He wrestled for years and years before training in Muay Thai. His clinchwork is FLAWLESS! He has occassionally showed us how to apply Greco-Roman wrestling holds to Muay Thai clinchwork.

Khun Kao

I guess I must have a slanted view of clinch work, me and a bunch of the guys I used to train with were throwing greco into our clinch training almost from the begining, I found it very usefull.

Ah well I guess we all have a few twists to our style.

I think that when you train the clinch properly you tend o start using under/overhooks, head snaps etc. without even realising!

My coach teaches a few neat head snap techniques that work great for setting up knees to the head/neck, yet I dont think he even knows what Greco Roman Wrestling is! Because here in the UK wrestling is vry small as a sport, so not many people have had any exposure to it. But he has been training Muay Thai for over 20 years now, so these things just crop up after training for years.

I have never had any real wrestling instruction, yet I can use the underhooks/overhooks very well to set up knees!

Just thought id share that!

Yours,
Beev

I trained under a 'JKD' MT instructor briefly. He fought as an amateur. He did include a bunch of counts and If memory server correctly, he didn't have any students fighting MT (maybe 1, maybe more now - been a while). He was also very keen on teaching the cultural aspects of MT too.

However, he was a ranked shooto fighter (B or C), which coupled with a business relationship with a bjj instructor, made him a great MMA (amateur and pro) striking coach. I don't know what they are doing now, but they (intermediate and adv) used to spar pretty often.

I have read a couple interviews with Dan Inosanto and he speaks of Sirisute as being as big an influence in his life as Bruce Lee.Is it possible the JKD guys are using JKD philosophies/concepts in teaching MT stripped down to the essentials?