Whats the best EMAIL service? TME

I've been lazy and have been using YAHOO forever. Fuckers are starting to fuck with me for blocking their ads, so its time to tell them fuck off. Any recommendation?

1 Like

Depends, free or paid?

As much as I hate google, gmail is simple to use. One of my emails is a self hosted website using gmail because it is super easy to use. 

For paid, I use Protonmail and Hushmail. Hushmail had some security issues year ago now, but I have been a client so long I use it for some stuff. 

Google may be the biggest, but all free email providers collect data and sell ads, so I generally go for functionality. Many will disagree because google is the devil. 

Proton has the vpn option also

2 Likes

Proton is advertised as the “most secure” but I know a guy who got hacked using it. I don’t fully trust it.  

the problem with proton is you can only encrypt shit to/from other proton users

thanks for the suggestions so far

Free: Proton Mail

Paid: Proton Mail, Start Mail, Mailbox.org

If you want to try out Start Mail, you can get the first year for $18 buying it from stacksocial.com and using their Black Friday coupon code to take 40% off

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. -

Yes, you can only encrypt between proton mail users, but if I recall correctly, everything stored on their system is encrypted (regardless of who sent it to you). So they can't see your emails, and can't use it for data mining and building a profile of you.

Technically you could say they can just track the messages coming in and out (pre-encryption) to gather information on you. But I believe they're completely open source and have been audited, so they're not doing that. It would also ruin their reputation and complete business model if they were found to be doing that

sicko -
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. -

Yes, you can only encrypt between proton mail users, but if I recall correctly, everything stored on their system is encrypted (regardless of who sent it to you). So they can't see your emails, and can't use it for data mining and building a profile of you.

Technically you could say they can just track the messages coming in and out (pre-encryption) to gather information on you. But I believe they're completely open source and have been audited, so they're not doing that. It would also ruin their reputation and complete business model if they were found to be doing that

thanks

sicko -

Free: Proton Mail

Paid: Proton Mail, Start Mail, Mailbox.org

If you want to try out Start Mail, you can get the first year for $18 buying it from stacksocial.com and using their Black Friday coupon code to take 40% off

thanks

If I had to pick one, it would be Proton Paid.

Not for nothing, if you are into buying unscrupulous things anonymously, most vendors use Proton and for good reason. 

I like switched from Gmail to Outlook and love it.

Still use my @hotmail that i got in 98 lol

Briscoe -

same, I’ve been using outlook.com 

I still have my gmail but I mainly use my outlook now 

I like their alias feature 

Stea1th -
Briscoe -

same, I’ve been using outlook.com 

I still have my gmail but I mainly use my outlook now 

I like their alias feature 

i have the desktop version from when you could still be the suite and not a monthly subscription  / could based. thats the one thing, i'd prefer to keep everything on my computer, but its really convient to look through all my emails on line. maybe buy my own server and set up my own cloud - lol

Traditionalist -

If I had to pick one, it would be Proton Paid.

Not for nothing, if you are into buying unscrupulous things anonymously, most vendors use Proton and for good reason. 

lol

for the proton folks, phone number verification doesnt bother you? no spam?

Proton i suppose, people will look at you funny, however.

hmmm -

https://privacy-watchdog.io/truth-about-protonmail/

not good according to this

The problem with proton mail is if you forget and have to reset your password, you can say goodbye to all of your previous emails. They will still be there, just all encrypted and useless. Stopped using it for this reason. 

Gmail hello.