whats the big deal with masks???

i dont get this aversion to wearing masks...its like a little kid that refuses to brush his teeth before going to sleep...he doesnt want to do it just because

i am very right leaning and i beleive the goverment should not mandate wearing masks, but what is the big deal about doing it? 

it is scientifically proven to reduce the risk of transmission of a disease that has high contagiousness and death rate

even before the pandemic, people in many other countries wore masks regularly

so you rednecks, what is your logical basis for refusal to wear a mask?

13 Likes

Why is the gov't mandating masks to go sit on a nearly deserted beach? Why don't the LE types who try to arrest such people have masks on?

Just some of the inequities and illogical things that are happening indicating it's not the masks it's the turn to arresting law-abiding folks for things which are not even unlawful, just edicts by some mayor most of the time.

Having said that I do wear a mask when out, but not while driving.

6 Likes

It covers up my incredibly handsome face.

3 Likes

I wear a mask when I’m supposed to in Colorado.

however, it is ingrained in my brain that people wearing a mask (unless it’s a blue surgical mask) are a threat... especially bandannas.

it’s going to take some getting used to.

1 Like

Because it’s symbolic of buying into the government’s bullshit.

18 Likes

The mandating of it has a very authoritarian feel.

7 Likes

I don’t wear one because I don’t want to and last I checked I didn’t have to. 

7 Likes

Unprecedented times. This is a once in a 100 year event. I can see why it's freaking people out. 

4 Likes

if you’re going to be inside a crammed market or something i think people should wear masks and i wouldn’t freak out about being asked to wear one.

but if i’m going for a nice walk outdoors, i’d like to breathe fresh air. i don’t think it’s a problem as long as people stay away from each other. so if some karen decides to bother me about masks in that situation i’m gonna tell her to F off.

2 Likes

Because the disease affects the old and weak, it’s mainly a bunch of courageously contagious middle aged fat dudes with beards who have a problem with wearing masks. We saw that in the Costco video.

Having to wear a mask outdoors is stupid, but the average person is dumb as a rock…I mean for fuck’s sake there are people out there who will vote for Biden and support Cuomo and Pelosi.

4 Likes
KungFuCow -

Unprecedented times. This is a once in a 100 year event. I can see why it's freaking people out. 

Wasnt there a pandemic 50 yrs ago in the 70's and no one gave a shit?

https://time.com/5799964/coronavirus-face-mask-asia-us/

I wore one almost continuously from 1969 (Vietnam combat medic) through 2009 when I retired (general surgeon and one short stint as a medical examiner). After 40 years I got pretty tired of the damn things. But now, after being retired 10+ years, I am wearing them again and I still get sore ears and hate them ... but I’ll wear them because ... I need to. 

4 Likes
gokudamus -

i dont get this aversion to wearing masks...its like a little kid that refuses to brush his teeth before going to sleep...he doesnt want to do it just because

i am very right leaning and i beleive the goverment should not mandate wearing masks, but what is the big deal about doing it? 

it is scientifically proven to reduce the risk of transmission of a disease that has high contagiousness and death rate

even before the pandemic, people in many other countries wore masks regularly

so you rednecks, what is your logical basis for refusal to wear a mask?

Didn’t you answer your own question in the 2nd paragraph... you don’t believe it should be mandated. 

like the lockdown

shutting down business 

locking people indoors 

not letting people use the cottage that they pay mortgage and taxes on. 

at some point People just can’t take anymore. This isn’t China or NK 

I haven't been told to wear one, and I don't want to wear it. I know I'm not going to die.

WidespreadPanic - 

Why is the gov't mandating masks to go sit on a nearly deserted beach? Why don't the LE types who try to arrest such people have masks on?

Just some of the inequities and illogical things that are happening indicating it's not the masks it's the turn to arresting law-abiding folks for things which are not even unlawful, just edicts by some mayor most of the time.

I am amazed by the number of folks I see wearing a mask while driving…alone.

Protecting them from themselves? Damned if I know but it is bizarre.

I work in a coating plant, there is only one guy who wears a mask. He’s new, and he’s like really meek, probably a super liberal I’m sure. But anyways, he stands out like a sore thumb obviously.

We don’t wear them for the regular flu and lots die from that - also if we reduce speed limits to 25 mph, then lots more would live. What if we banned cigarettes? Lots more would live. Ban alcohol? Tall bridges? We need to suck it up, it’s a new flu that’s here to stay - sewering the economy is going to cause way more suffering than this stupid flu

Finally!

The one time in recent history when it's not only ok to wear almost any kind of mask but it's actually encouraged and some people are afraid to do it.

The last time it was cool to wear masks was at dance galas in the 1700s.

Take advantage of this utility/fashion moment!

1 Like
Dryfly -
WidespreadPanic - 

I am amazed by the number of folks I see wearing a mask while driving…alone.

Protecting them from themselves? Damned if I know but it is bizarre.

I am mandated to wear a mask at work. I put it on my face at home and do not touch it for the entire shift. I am one of those nincompoops wearing the mask in my car. Because I am on my was to a place that requires me to wear one.