Whats the counter for thai clinch?

Whats the best way to counter when someone has you in the thai clinch? For example Franklin vs Silva

I don't mean to be a smart ass, but...learn how to clinch.

There is no one fix-all remedy for how to deal with it. It's a very sophisticated range of fighting, there is so much going on.

And the two handed neck grab is only the tip of the iceberg........

I dont know what Bryan72 is talking about ...(insert sarcasm)... but I use my dynamic personality as my ultimate defense.  LOL

LOL, Bryan72 and I are on the same page.

"How do you counter the Thai clinch?"

Have a BETTER Thai clinch!

Seriously, just as Bryan72 said, we're not trying to be smart-asses (though hoping you get a chuckle from our half-assed attempts at humor), but there are a myriad of ways to escape and counter the clinch.

What is the context? Pure MuayThai? MMA? Other?

Yea Bryans Clinch suxxx too !!! (sarcasm)

He's the reason people say i have a good clinch (although i dont think so)

Here is a similar discussion on Defend.net where I answered a guys questions regarding clinch defense with photographs.  Maybe this will help?

http://www.defend.net/deluxeforums/showthread.php?t=17440&highlight=clinch

Are you talking about MMA or muay thai

Huge difference!!

ex. KK's response "Have a BETTER Thai clinch!" is not neccessarily correct in mma, where you can bodylock, post on the elbows and drop in for a high dbl. or pummel into the wedge.

Exactly!

Bill,

I have ALWAYS found it easy to break anyone's clinch by swimming my power hand over their left arm and slam my palm into their jaw turning their face away. This puts an elbow lock on their arm and turns them away opening them up for anything you want to do on their left side. I will try to post some photos if you want.

Hi Jeff,

Yeah that's a form of the crowbar escape. imho the only thing that can be negative about it is if the opponent is a good grappler in the clinch it leaves you open for an arm drag so be ready to immediately pull the arm back out and square the hips back up!

From a MMA perspective, My first priority is getting tight to him and having good posture. (I like my grill where it's at.)

if the clinch is on and I can't swim thru then one hand is going outside abd around his head. (palm facing me my fingers are on the opposite side of his head at the top/rear. My opposite hand is posted on his elbow.

I'm going to pull his head down and towards my back corner as I simulataneously backstep. The opposite hand is then going to lift his elbow and I slip out. basically turnign his upper body on it's side! From here sometimes you can go right into a head & arm clinch and reap the leg or set up the hip throw or you can turn the corner and take the back or you can create a space for some nice strikes..

There are many many options it's just about where you want to go.

ex. I've got a student who will actually feint poor posture to get the guy to throw multiple knees, which he blocks very well by crossing his arm over the hip to block out.. however he has developed excellent timing and when a knee comes up he will pass it outside and then scoop it up, immediately explode into the guy with a very powerful step (he is a powerlifter) and lift the opponent off into the air for a brutal slam position!

"I have ALWAYS found it easy to break anyone's clinch by swimming my power hand over their left arm and slam my palm into their jaw turning their face away. This puts an elbow lock on their arm and turns them away opening them up for anything you want to do on their left side. I will try to post some photos if you want."

this works OK against someone with a limited clinch game, but if they know what they're doing (as BIC points out) it can set you up for some nasty counters.

Even ignoring that, if you come over my left with your right I can push your head around just as easily. And since I'm underneath your right arm I'll have more leverage.

Triple Decker Pecker Wrecker defeats the clinch everytime.

Hit Em...

Wizzle - Bull,

There are no SURE techniques, this one works well fro me against all that I have done it against and since i am not a ground guy it keeps me on my feet. THe whole idea is that you create an opening and get away from the clinch. Did it against some 6'6'' guy who was strong as fuck and saved me from the last knee - opened him up for switch knee overhand right. done right with proper mechanics will work against most anyone. Of courese i have my own variations to it that i will put up on my site soon as i get a working camera.

BIC would have to see how the arm drag would work from there so will go later today and see the mechanics of it.