What's The Explanation Behind Squats/Deadlifts?

Every single workout thread here about building muscle the majority of replies are "deadlifts and squats!"

So what's the science or reasoning behind that? When I started training I was a 125 lbs, skinny little fuck. Im now at 175 at 9% body fat with never touching a single deadlift and minimal squats cuz of my knee.

But lately ive been really interested in starting deadlifts, still dont think ill do squats though cuz it kills my knee. So I figured id ask the broskis on the OG about them Phone Post 3.0

Simple. No matter how big your upper body gets, if you skip leg day, we'll laugh at your fag chicken legs. Phone Post 3.0

It triggers muscle growth hormones. Also gives you a thicker, more solid, and tighter look Phone Post 3.0

/thread Phone Post 3.0

Some Broscience:

1) For squats and deadlifts, you'll likely be handling the maximum amount of weight your body can handle. Maximum overload and intensity should yield to maximum strength and muscular development. Your body needs to adapt to increasing weights, so you should get both stronger and build more muscle mass.

2) Squats and deadlifts engage most of your body. Squats tax the legs and core, and depending on how you do them, potentially your cardiovascular system. Deadlifts work the legs, core, entire back (including traps), and your arms, especially grip/forearms.

If your body can handle it, they are two of the best bang for your buck exercises.

Not necessary exercises, however, to achieving a variety of fitness goals.

I believe the idea is that your legs and glutes are such large muscle groups that the anabolic reaction of working them hard has an effect on your whole body, not just your legs.

To paraphrase Rippetoe: Squats and deadlifts allow the most weight to be lifted by the most muscle mass over the longest range of motion.

Example: bicep curl - a few small muscle groups, light weight (relative), short range of motion to complete rep.

Squat - several large and small muscle groups, heavy weights (relative), long range of motion to complete rep.

They are basic lifts with a proven track record. If you stay with the basics of bench, squats, and deadlifts then you have a solid foundation for growth. Phone Post 3.0

IronHands - Simple. No matter how big your upper body gets, if you skip leg day, we'll laugh at your fag chicken legs. Phone Post 3.0
I don't skip legs though so im good Phone Post 3.0

Ive always been reluctant to deadlift cuz I was born with a fucked up back. My spine bends in the wrong spot and is damn near impossible to keep my back straight. So ive always been afraid of injury with that kind of lift.

Would a belt help? Phone Post 3.0

There also taken blood tests from guys who have just done squats/ deadlifts and you get a bigger biological response from them than any other lift. Phone Post 3.0

So to those in the know, my question is will i lose weight faster doing squats and/or deadlifts? Phone Post 3.0

Yomarashi - Ive always been reluctant to deadlift cuz I was born with a fucked up back. My spine bends in the wrong spot and is damn near impossible to keep my back straight. So ive always been afraid of injury with that kind of lift.

Check out Lamar Gant's scoliosis. And yes, a belt will help by allowing you to create more intrabdominal pressure, which stabilizes your spine.

Squatting and deadlifting raise test levels naturally. Higher test levels mean more overall muscle growth.

I'll find some studies to support that here in a bit. Phone Post 3.0

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-H9h7hGI3fx4/UjArlnBBgzI/AAAAAAAAB24/5f7EWRAclyA/s280/lamargant_scoliosis.jpg Phone Post 3.0

Squats and deadlifts are awesome and productive bang for your buck exercises but they aren't necessary to build a decent physique or to get in shape. This especially true if you can't do them correctly. You'll end up doing more harm than good.

100% I think all trainees should spend the time and trial and error effort on those two exercises but if it's not working out move on to something else.

Squats and deadlifts makes your anus strong.

If you have trouble squatting and deadlift, give trapbar deadlifts a try. Very similar movement that is a bit easier on your back imo. Phone Post 3.0

Amos Moses - http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-H9h7hGI3fx4/UjArlnBBgzI/AAAAAAAAB24/5f7EWRAclyA/s280/lamargant_scoliosis.jpg Phone Post 3.0
Thanks Amos. Always dropping knowledge Phone Post 3.0

Yomarashi - Ive always been reluctant to deadlift cuz I was born with a fucked up back. My spine bends in the wrong spot and is damn near impossible to keep my back straight. So ive always been afraid of injury with that kind of lift.

Start light and work your way heavier slowly. Honestly, Deadlifts and Squats are probably the two best exercise for a bad back. If done correctly of course.

good thread

what's the broscience behind Power Cleans and Snatches - do these raise T/GH levels as well?