What's the Future of Remote Working?

I am curious to know what is ya’ll assessment of the future of remote working? I noticed a lot of places are hiring with the option to work remotely with some pretty high pay scales. I also seem to notice many are permanently moving to places they desire due to their remote work arrangements. I’ll admit they sound too good to be true but I also wonder if this is just a temporary trend, are businesses getting some benefit, etc?

I believe a lot of companies are realizing that the productivity drop off is not that high if you treat people like adults. Set expectations and guildelines, and let them either sink or swim based upon the workload they take on.

On the flip side, the company then saves a ton of overhead and infrastructure costs on air conditioning, electricity, space, free coffee, and the like.

So there is indeed a benefit of the company’s side if they are equipped and able to work remotely.

3 Likes

It’s here to stay.
Most employees don’t like sitting in cubicles, and employers don’t want to pay for cubicles.

A lot of companies are planning to transition back with 1/3 of employees remaining remote.

But with a PC instead of a bike

I still think employers may not necessarily allow you to live ANYWHERE though.

Gotta remember they need business licenses and to pay taxes in the states they have employees. And some will want to save money/overhead by limiting the states they offer employment to.

Also, where you are living affects pay-scale…so the plans of some of my coworkers to take their CA salaries, and go move someplace cheaper and live like kings is going to fall on its face.

Go live someplace cheaper, company is going to expect to pay you less.

Was wondering this myself. Would love to move to Thailand or somewhere warm while doing the same job and making the same money I do now. Would live like a king!

Hell, I’d even take a pay cut to be able to do that. I work better from home anyway, although my employer seems fixated on having everyone back in the office once the pandemic ends. I’ll probably look for another job that is more flexible in this regard if I am asked to go back to the office permanently.

I have been hit up by two recruiters this week about remote management positions. They are well paid full time long term commitments.

This.

I work for a very large global organization and our leadership has directly commented that we will be re-inventing the workplace.

We had been saving cash ahead of COVID and were prepared to “weather the storm” when shit started shutting down, but the savings in travel expenses, host office expenses, etc, etc actually helped us to meet (and in some markets) exceed plan…even during the pandemic.

This means fewer companies are going to invest in office space.

There are so many ways to fuck around at work these days with smart phones anyway, there’s really no reason to expect people to work much harder in the office anymore.

There will definitely be lower salaries across the board for some jobs that are no longer based in major cities, but they can’t really use where you are to determine your salary either. Lots of people commute many hours to go work in NYC for example, and they don’t lower your salary for it.

Agree that there are likely limits, but the larger the Org., the more opportunity.

International tax regulations and payments are complex and expensive, so I doubt if many US-based firms would allow you to work from Tahiti, but for lots of companies they don’t care where you live in the US as long as you have a good internet connection and can get to an airport if they need you to.

I also think MOST firms will quickly realize that this is an opportunity to largely get rid of area-based salary differentials. If people seldom (or never) have to go into the corporate office in CA, you don’t have to source people who work in the area, so you don’t need the differential.

People already getting the differential will probably keep it until they move on (or are forced out) but i think they’ll go away soon.

I think the commercial real estate industry will take a bath when all
Is said and done especially in expensive markets like la , nyc and San Fran. Places that are expensive shot holes anyway.

A big perk is you can write off your internet bill

I think a lot of companies will be significantly reducing the amount of office space they lease/own. For a lot of companies, it just doesn’t make sense to have everyone in the office all the time anymore.

I think it’s gonna change the look and feel of a lot of cities with how much office space will be converted to other uses in the downtown cores.

I think will see a mix. You need really good systems, management and employees to work effectively remotely.

Work needs to be well defined. So work that is ambiguous needs someone whose role it is define that work. If no one defines it, no one working remotely will just pick it up and do it.

I’ve done enough remote work to know the issues. Remote work needs to be deliverables based, you can’t really do ass on seats for x number of hours based. It doesn’t work. But there is also the argument that that type of work has never been very productive anyway.

My company mandated everyone is back by June or find another place to work.

It depends on firm size in my experience. Firms with low headcount like mine operate just fine and will never have full time office employees again. We have our regular robust intern program and those of us that relocated kept our salaries.

My wife’s firm is the same, and both are large operations with a small amount of employees.

It was slowly going this way anyways with people working from when when needed, or firms being able to utilize logmein and similar products to be ablate hire good talent that isn’t local.

Large firms it is different, at least in my industry. For firms like JPM and GS they want to maintain the corporate culture (it is/was cult like) that they had pre covid that is now crumbling in a post covid world. Without it they can’t get associates to work 6 day weeks, on call the 7th day, knocking off 100 hour weeks. They want to maintain that culture, but I think it is dying.

Also, I have no idea how you manage incoming graduating classes of 1000+ and huge intern programs like the ones at JPM and GS on a remote platform.

It will be interesting, but for my industry if you work at a boutique your office days are done.

My bosses are talking about plopping me in Wyoming for 3 months out of the year.

It’s wonderful.

Me and my wife moved to Florida.

Both of our firms set up Florida based subsidiaries that we are now technically employed at.

We both kept our NYC comp packages. Mrs Ned is now a “chief”, and her comp package was increased to match her c suite peers in NYC.

I believe it is here to stay. The Firm where I work has found that, in general, we have been more efficient working from home than in the office. There’s not as much tardiness, fewer absences, less idle chit-chat amongst the staff. There are absolutely some people who work better in the office, but most people have preferred working from home.

For instance, if my office continues to go forward with the current Work From Home model, we could pretty easily reduce our office-space by 1/2. There simply won’t be as much of a brick & mortar presence needed. We’d need a Reception Area, a few Conference Rooms, our Copy Center, some storage rooms, and a number of Visitor Desks & Offices. Staff could plan ahead to schedule when they need to be in the office to meet with clients are work on projects that require a face-to-face meetings.

Quite frankly, from all appearances our office may be morphing into something similar to what I suggested. The management of our office is pretty much admitting that almost every single person in our office would prefer to continue working from home, or at least having that option to work from home.

My personal role is such that 90% of what I do can be done from home anyway. I could schedule specific days to be in the office to take care of local needs, and at almost any given time I can travel door-to-door in less than an hour. So if there was some sort of emergency in the office, I can be on-site in under 60 minutes. Most of what I do in the office could be handled by someone else, but with me talking them through it over the phone (if needed).

This will have a major impact on places that need that lunch rush M-F to survive