What's the point of knee-on belly? Anyone here use it?

You can make them fart.

4 Likes

american gladiators pain GIF

4 Likes

Early Vitor Belfort used it to great effect, as I recall

3 Likes

Whoa, I really like that entry. That’s so much better than going to KOB and then trying to grab something.

1 Like

I’m sure someone must have already said it, but it’s great for opening up a tight side mount defense. I use it mostly to get reactions which expose something in side mount.

2 Likes

yup - if you get a good scarf hold, you can transition to a knee of the belly with a tight grip on their near arm - it should be above their elbow. It takes away alot of their escape options and gives you more attack options

2 Likes

great point - forces a reaction from them. And if they dont do much, mount is coming or a variety of KOB attacks such as chokes

1 Like

For law enforcement use, i prefer knee on neck for a minimum of 9.5 minutes. You need to have the right perp though…

3 Likes

It’s basically my “hub” dominant position.

one of my favorite things to do, esp against bigger guys.
Positionally not only can I move both hands around a lot more, but My knees/shins can also be used to kill the near side arm.

What’s more important is that when you’re trying to establish side control on a bigger person, you can’t always close the chest on chest distance. Don’t fight that. KOB is a dominant position that you can use from a distance.

Finally, I would say that against smaller more flexible people you can shield your opponent’s legs out of the way.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Wild, never seen that one before. This is the one i’m familiar with:

I think yours works better with the type of knee on belly I do.

4 Likes

I’m surprised we don’t see it more, either. I fucking love it. You can funnel people into one bad position from another and often times dictate scrambles to hit cool stuff like guillotines and or to take the back if they turn to their stomach.

Modern MMA rules have largely dumbed down jiu jitsu because the effort taken to facilitate these types of positions isn’t worth it if you’re just going to get stood back up by the ref because the bros in the crowd are drinking their Modelo’s and booing.

3 Likes

Is that Ninja?

My favourite thing from knee on belly is hitting the near side arm bar. If they don’t give me that I like switching back and forth from one side to another.

The other thing is scraping their near side arm off them with the non-onbelly knee to isolate it and then secure side control.

1 Like

Yeah ninja, how satisfying that must have been.

This is my bread and butter right here.

Vitor Belfort had a vale tudo instructional where he pops up to kob and rains down hell on the opponent.

I use kob to chain a sequence together, trapping the near side arm, shin pinning it and attacking the kimura, cutting armbar, far side armbar, lapel chokes, noth south choke etc.
So many options from kob based on your opponents reactions.

1 Like

From old school self defence point of view it’s also a very useful position because it gives you more vision to look around for your opponents brothers/ cousins who may be approaching from behind to attack you with some type of implement

1 Like

That’s true.

It’s also a lot easier to disengage, too. Unlike, say, Side Control, the person on the bottom of Knee-on-Belly can’t effectively “lock onto you” keeping you tangled up on the ground.

1 Like