What's up with MMA fighters doing decently against boxers in boxing matches?

This is actually pretty shameful… boxers wouldn’t last a minute in MMA fights.

I’m talking about guys like Artem beating Malinaggi, Silva beating Chavez Jr, Perry beating Seals ect.

1 Like

Mma is better than boxing for boxing. Same as GSP was the best wrestler. So logically karate makes the best wrestlers.
Facts are facts. Deny them at your peril.

1 Like

Well, for starters Malignaggi should’ve gotten the nod over Lobov IMO. But, whatever, the boxer with the two most brittle hands in the sport didn’t belong anywhere near a bare-knuckle fight. It was idiocy on Paulie’s part. So…

Silva actually trained for the Chavez fight & took it seriously as opposed to JCC Jr who showed up unmotivated & out of shape. And it’s not as if Silva was a total novice in the boxing ring. He had a couple-few pro bouts prior to the Chavez bout.

Perry beating Seals was a bit of a shocker but it was a modified rules match not straight boxing & the fight could have gone either way. Besides, Seals is no top-flight fighter. He’s a decent journeyman at best.

So, it’s not as if the world’s best boxers are suddenly getting schooled by MMA fighters.

2 Likes

3 Likes

money is up jajaja…

I’m not following your Lobov vs Paulie logic. The thread is about MMA fighters doing decently against boxers. Paulie is a former world champ that isn’t Evander’esque in age and mileage. Lobov is a mid level at BEST MMA guy. Even if Paulie should have gotten the decision, it was close enough that it fits the spirit of this thread.

JCC may have showed up in less than his best shape, but again, Anderson beat him decisively so the thread spirit is still intact. Especially when you take into account him being 46 and JCC being 35 when they boxed.

Anderson’s boxing record (I didn’t even know he boxed before) was from 16 and 23 years prior to him boxing JCC.

2 Likes

Dang; I had forgot a time when Diego was 17-0 and then 21-2.

individual, fundamental athleticism matters…

Conor is a very good boxer by MMA standards and had youth, size and reach on Floyd.

Floyd also didn’t fight his usual fight. He walked Conor down and TKOed him.

2 Likes

Conor was already gassed.

I wonder how that happened.

Doogie Howser, M.D. could walk him down once he’s gassed. Hell, even Vinny Delpino.

Floyd could have fought in his usual defensive style and won an easy decision. Conor would not have touched him. But he showed no respect for Conor’s boxing and walked him down the entire fight. It had been a long time since Floyd won by TKO.

3 Likes

Yes because we’ll know they are facing good boxers in their prime. Lol. The Conor fight was a show pure and simple for idiots. Floyd could have knocked him out anytime he wanted too.

Or… he tasted the thundering uppercut of the Irishman & knew his only hope was to offer his ripe anus in the air to McGregor often, eager he’d take the spoils of victory right there in the ring, but to no avail. Conor would not take his anus.

Lucky for him, Conor’s frightening power faded from the lack of whiskey & cocaine (silly rule) & he submitted to fatigue.

1 Like

I like Paulie, but he never had power, was already looking slow, and I believe came out of retirement for that Artem fight.

These MMA fighters are getting matched up very favorably IMO. I think if one were to fight an actual contender or top 10 it would look much different.

On the flip side, I think Clay Collard is somebody who switched over and has found some success. That is probably best example there is really.

1 Like

Cool. Conor finishes Mayweather in under a round in MMA though. And MMA Is real fighting soooooooo

1 Like

Add MMA gloves and only allow them to box and Connor still murks him