What's Wrong with Stolen Valor?

When I was a Navy Seal, I was doing a recon mission out in the Persian Gulf and ran into a couple my Special Forces buddies who I were my partners back in the day.

Anyway we got to the conversation as to what is the big deal if guys want to lie about being like us? If it helps them out in life, to get laid or or respect or whatever, more power to them.

True they didn't go through the training I did - doing endless push-ups on a cold beach, the drill instructor yelling at me to "just ring the bell!! Give up."

But I don't fault a man for wanting to be like me. At the end of the day the Purple Heart on my uniform is the only thing I need to remind myself of the toil I went through. Phone Post 3.0

The Stolen Valor website went after Skip Hall, a real veteran. Unreal.

Well said patriot

As a legit former Army SEAL myself, I would smack you in the face if you EVER pulled that charade in front of me.

MMA Playwright - The Stolen Valor website went after Skip Hall, a real veteran. Unreal.

Not all veterans have equal service.

I was in the Nerd Navy, I pushed buttons, fixed more things than I broke, swept, cleaned, powerpointed, and painted for over a decade total.

I shouldn't pretend to be a guy who stormed an enemy bunker with just a bayonet and killed 10 people to save 100 other veterans to impress or con ignorant people. It is disrespectful to the people who died doing it, their families, and the lucky few that survived shit like that.

Is stolen valor actually a law? how is it enforced? I would think that freedom of speech would get in the way.

Mat Santos - 

Is stolen valor actually a law? how is it enforced? I would think that freedom of speech would get in the way.

If you impersonate a commissioned officer or a Congressional Medal of Honor awardee, I believe it is a crime then. Everything else falls under free speech.

Mat Santos -

The key question is if you materially benefit from it. The guy at the bar bragging about his time he won a Navy Cross as a sniper in Delta Force isn't in legal trouble. If he got paid a speaker fee to talk about it at a school, then he will run into problems.

Lying to bang a chick is one thing. 

Lying to get discounts or preference in hiring is different. 

DaveFu -
Mat Santos - 

If you impersonate a commissioned officer or a Congressional Medal of Honor awardee, I believe it is a crime then. Everything else falls under free speech.

The law includes the combat action ribbon. I suppose that means you are in the clear if you pretend that you were a clerk in Germany or something, but why even bother lying if you aren't going to act like you were in some firefights?

Because only cowards and closet faggots need to lie.

Recongnize and respect yourself.

UpperdoG - Because only cowards and closet faggots need to lie.

And only cowards and closet faggots need to confront mongoloids wearing army pants. Phone Post 3.0

If someone is defrauding a business or exploiting some govt deal they should be fucked up, but if it's some retarded teen trying to get laid in the bar I don't think it merits anything beyond a public dressing down

the_b00ts -

I've been asked by the douchebag brigade to see my DD214 so they could verify that I was awarded a CAB. Those guys piss me off more than the posers. On one hand you have a mentally unstable person lying about service for attention....on the other hand you have a mentally unstable person willing to become violent over someone they THINK may be lying about service. 

That's what I mean, some people take it way too far. I remember watching a stolen valor vid and it started with some good confrontations calling out douchebags, but then ended with the dude screaming and pushing some mentally handicapped kid who was half crying and it just got wierd lol

Stan Wang -

as Seal, i will write and perform a song for all of those that have stolen valor and regret it.

Thanks, man. Can you work in adverse conditions? Snow, for example?

The OP stole Valour while making a post asking if it's OK to steal valour. Well played. Phone Post 3.0

the_b00ts -

I've been asked by the douchebag brigade to see my DD214 so they could verify that I was awarded a CAB. Those guys piss me off more than the posers. On one hand you have a mentally unstable person lying about service for attention....on the other hand you have a mentally unstable person willing to become violent over someone they THINK may be lying about service. 

And a hypothetical VU to you. I'm on a active duty stationed nowhere near any type of military base and I'm waiting for some National Guard PFC to question me one day. Phone Post 3.0

I pretended I was a Marine in a bar once. A guy assumed I had served, and came to get advice, because he was thinking about joining. I encouraged him towards signing up. I hope he did well for himself and our Country, and completely understand why I get shot in a few years, should it occur.*

*may not have happened.

Shepherd Wong - 
UpperdoG - Because only cowards and closet faggots need to lie.

And only cowards and closet faggots need to confront mongoloids wearing army pants. Phone Post 3.0

Fair point.

Although it wouldn't break my heart, I'm not saying they should all get their shit stomped out.

It's more often the better man who walks away. Overcome yourself first.

I'm saying it's not right. To lie to anyone is to only lie to yourself. It goes against the very fabric of what it means to be an honorable man.