What's your favorite guard?

The kind of guard that lands me on top.
The kind of guard that keeps big motherfackers OFF me

Butterfly is a fav. Got lots of choke to sweep combo's from there. And I also love the Baret Yoshida, trapped shoulder high guard.

Inverted 50/50 is my personal choice.

I like both. Shooting and point.

"From: keseki
Posted: 4 hours ago Member Since: 5/27/03

Inverted 50/50 is my personal choice."

LOL!

For aboxofwine:

Cross Guard (borrowed from www.Grapplearts.com):

The Cross Guard is another gi-specific position. It relies on cross-grabbing the opponent’s opposite sleeve with one hand and gripping or underhooking his leg with the other. In the Cross Guard you have a number of sweeping and submission options, the most common being the omo plata submission, omo plata sweeps and the triangle choke. Pe De Pano is probably the most famous exponent of the Cross Guard.

Not sure if it's also considered Cross Guard, but I do this from closed guard as well.  Basically I grip the opponents sleeve/wrist and pull it across my centerline, getting an angle on them.  I then trap the shoulder/arm with my chest so they can't square back up.  From there I can take the back, sweep and submit.

mikedub07 -  For aboxofwine:

Not sure if it's also considered Cross Guard, but I do this from closed guard as well.  Basically I grip the opponents sleeve/wrist and pull it across my centerline, getting an angle on them.  I then trap the shoulder/arm with my chest so they can't square back up.  From there I can take the back, sweep and submit.

I do that a lot to but I am generally going for a sit up sweep/flower sweep combo. Sometimes I get 1/2 way to the back, since thats obvious people defend it really hard so I use that to sweep the guy as well.

I dunno if its considered cross guard either but it all flows together really well.

thanks guys

Closed guard.

half guard.

Drunken Monkey Guard

Butterfly is my go-to, or default, guard
X is my fun favourite
Closed is what I wish I could get more often ie: the guard I would ALWAYS use if I had my way.

During a private a few years back, my instructor made a point that I tend to agree with. He said (and I paraphrase for simplicity) that other guards exist mainly because people who know what they're doing don't want to give you the closed guard.

93 guard

no gi- open (feet on the hips)

gi - spider guard

I'm a white belt who doesn't know a lot about guards yet, but that said, I'm really liking the half guard.

jarva - Half guard - usually a lot of action from there and that is fun.

This is mine as well, it's perfect for guys with smaller legs...

I play a lot of different guards, but some are not so much used as "guards" as mere positions from which I immediately sweep (X-guard, DLR, deep half, full butterfly).

When it comes to guards that allow me to "hang out" a bit and consider my options, I like open guard with knees in biceps and feet in hips (I consider this a "no gi spider guard"), from which I primarily look for omoplatas and triangles, or sit up into butterfly for a quick arm drag or hook sweep. I also like half butterfly with an overhook, where I try to make my opponent expose the far leg, then pursue the reverse butterfly sweep.

Traditional close guard and open too

93 Guard Nog style

I've been doing BJJ for about 4 years now and half the guards mentioned here are (to me) novelties I've learned a few moves from here and there. X-guard, de la riva, cross guard...

It's kind of intimidating to think that someone's put in so much time to BJJ that they could come at me with something called an octopus guard.

And I notice no one said rubber guard.

I am mostly a closed guard guy. On thing I work more than other people at my club is the high guard sometimes called crooked guard; attacking one arm with the kimura, then looking to pass the arm on the other side for the triangle, always threatening the flower sweep. So man options for a meat 'n' potatoes BJJ guy like me.