When are the Olympics?

Can anyone tell me when the Olympics are going to be this year?

And how do you guys get to see the Judo coverage? I'd like to avoid paying hundreds of dollars for videos.

From what I remember back in the 2000 games, the Japanese basically buy all rights to the Judo - basically no non-Judo country will bother buying a share of the same from the Japanese.

I recall that Australia had a medalist + hosted the games and the best they could do for coverage was show a picture of her passport.

:-(

108 days, 18 hours and 15 minutes from now... its 5:45 am in CA right now

"the Japanese basically buy all rights to the Judo - basically no non-Judo country will bother buying a share of the same from the Japanese."

Damn. No wonder Judo can't grow. The Japanese have to know that they are hurting their sport by doing this?

"108 days, 18 hours and 15 minutes from now"

3 1/2 months?!!! ARGH!

CBC showed a little bit of Sydney...but we are talking seconds here, sandwiched in between the continuous beach volleyball matches, not actual content. What I eventually did was borrow tapes of Japanese broadcasts. Bird's Judo Shop sells these.

This year it looks like Poland is handling the production, Japan is doing gymnastics (looks like they did marathon and judo in Sydney). But what that means about who broadcasts what - I thought broadcast/internet/whatever rights were granted by region....

http://www.sportstvproduction.com/articles/publish/article_9.shtml

With a total of 301 different sporting events, no single country could possibly provide the expertise needed to cover all of those activities. In keeping with their philosophy of providing venue production staff who have extensive expertise, AOB has signed agreements with production teams from around the world that have a high level of production experience for specific sports.
These production teams include
Japan's NHK (gymnastics);
Poland's TVP (judo/wrestling);

I dunno about the Japanese having the only rights...it sure is shown in a lot of countries.

Australia was being pretty cheap if they did that, Canada actually did show all of Nic Gill's matches from Sydney and highlights from others as well (maybe even a complete fight from Morgan). Been a while...