When are you considered a BJJ expert/Pro?

How many years of grappling or Gi-Jitsu (belt rank) would you consider yourself an expert or pro for personal commercialization or tournamants?

Some tournaments put you in the "advanced" division after 3 years experience and advanced is as high as it goes.

Also I've seen blue and purple belts advertise their self as "experts".

On the mma.tv forums blue belt = expert.

Maybe brown belt -- 5/6+ years of grappling?

Bolo - On the mma.tv forums blue belt = expert.

Lol

Once you get a bunch of patches on your gi...

patches, or if you own a Lucky Gi...or put Ilove in front of a submission.

BEEF & CHEESE - Once you get a bunch of patches on your gi...
Patches, definitely gotta be the patches...

1/1/01 join date or 10,000 posts

edit

Obviously, that depends on how you define "expert"...

Generally I think the concept of an "expert" is more a beginner's or layman's concept in that it's used to describe people who's skill is so far in advance of yours, you can't appraise them.

When people get more skilled (in anything) they tend to have a much more nuanced view of skill and tend not to use blanket terms like "expert" as much.

Advanced practitioners understand that they simply can't know it all and that there is a lot more about their art that they don't know than they do know.

I am a competitive purplebelt and consider myself a serious amateur athlete.

"Expert" is such a complicated term:)

BJJ Pro - I'd say in the point you can make 100% of your living competing & teaching.

there is the 10.000 hour rule (wasnt it herbert simon?), so you need to work on something like 10 years 20 h a week to be an expert

the 10k hour "rule" is hardly a rule and is coined by Eriksson.

It is more of a frame for thinking (as in practice makes perfect and TIME doing something but noone exactly knows what this something is) than a postulate.

No, the 10,000 hour rule has been verified empirically.

MOre than 20 years of fulll time experience, that is not to say that you can't learn from someone who has far less experience.

Trichoke7 -  No, the 10,000 hour rule has been verified empirically.

State your references which would be relevant and implying causality in (combat) sport setting or perish:)

I don't really want to get into an argument right now... But it is the very field I work in - sport psychology and one of my labs big projects is research on sport expertise development so please believe me I have read tens of textbooks and articles from 80s to present day on that very topic.

The original studies were done on musicians...

The 10k hours is a nice idea and really easy to kling on. The reality however is much more complex:)

Well, of course no studies have been done on combat sports so far as I know.

But 10,000/10 years, besides being found in musicians, has also been found in other areas, including chess and science, no?

Of course, if this is your area then I defer to you.

Currently I am reading the "Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance" and "Expert Performance in Sports."

So, I have no problem admitting that you are much more well read than I.

Would you mind if I asked you some questions some time about this topic?

anytime you want to call yourself an expert,make dvd's or make shitty video's on youtube.

hell,you dont even need to be promoted,just put a bb or brown and start making claims

Jorx, would you describe yourself as an expert on this topic?

gusto -  im purple and feel like an advanced beginner, though i fit elgringo criteria