When did George gracie die?

Helio's side has seemingly tried to erase him from history so very little is known about him and his post gracie academy life. Anyone know when and how he died? Phone Post 3.0

Who says he's dead? Maybe he's just on a mountain somewhere. Eating acai and meditating.

And waiting...
Waiting.... Phone Post 3.0

MickColins - Who says he's dead? Maybe he's just on a mountain somewhere. Eating acai and meditating.

And waiting...
Waiting.... Phone Post 3.0
That would be the greatest.

Seriously though, most sources say he was actually the most famous and most skilled of the original gracie brothers. He was the original protege and Carlos didn't really focus on Helio until George began going in his own direction. It's just a shame that it's so hard to find much info about his life post Carlos' rule. Phone Post 3.0

Carlos sr 1994
Oswaldo 1943
Gastao jr 2000?
George ?
Helio 2009

The Tabby cat.  I got an old story somewhere from an article. I'll try to find it.

^^thats pretty funny Phone Post 3.0

1991 according to this article from 97, page 69

http://books.google.com/books?id=7dkDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA72&lpg=PA72&dq=blackbelt+April+1997&source=bl&ots=gvObv7FgVk&sig=-_KQYCP8WtrgZlRh11jnvGC2fDI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=etxoVL6pF5GoyASpq4DYBQ&ved=0CCIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=blackbelt%20April%201997&f=false

de braco -

1991 according to this article from 97, page 69

http://books.google.com/books?id=7dkDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA72&lpg=PA72&dq=blackbelt+April+1997&source=bl&ots=gvObv7FgVk&sig=-_KQYCP8WtrgZlRh11jnvGC2fDI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=etxoVL6pF5GoyASpq4DYBQ&ved=0CCIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=blackbelt%20April%201997&f=false

Good find! Phone Post 3.0

MarsMan - I think he died in the early 90s.

We were his daughter's neighbors and his grandson and I started training together in 95. Phone Post 3.0
That is awesome! Did his daughter's family live in the USA? Phone Post 3.0

he trained and fought with luta livre guys and he was supposed to be the best Vale Tudo Gracie.

Word to the wise, my fren...

Maybe you shouldn't be bringing up this names they don't need to be broughted up.

You know the names for which you are supposed to give the attention to. Pay attention to this names and forget this other nonsense names.

You have had the warning.

biva - George and Gastao I think fell out with Carlos as he was being too demanding and restrictive about who they should of been fighting and what styles they should use. To the point of when George fought, Carlos went public saying shit like 'he does not use true Gracie jiu jitsu' and George replied with stuff like 'how do you know? You're shit at jiu jitsu'.
I'm paraphrasing, but that's essentially why the Helio and Carlos lineage ignore George and act like Helio and Carlos invented jiu jitsu, leverage, arms, legs and chokes. Phone Post 3.0

Gastao never fought like the rest of the brothers, he only taught.

MarsMan - 
JoejitsuMD -

We were his daughter's neighbors and his grandson and I started training together in 95. Phone Post 3.0
No man... I'm Brazilian... They lived in São Paulo. I saw him when he came visiting a few times but never talked to him. Phone Post 3.0

With all due respect MarsMan, never, ever tell THAT story again! Here's the story you tell from now on...

"We were his daughter's neighbors and his grandson and I started training together in '95. I first saw him when he came visiting a few times. Eventually he said to me, "You have talent. I want to teach you". He taught me GJJ that was very different from the normal GJJ being taught. His was more suited for Vale Tudo and has many details that simply don't exist in the jiu jitsu of his lesser-skilled brothers. 

GM George Gracie had just a handful of students, of which I am the ONLY one currently teaching. I am doing seminars where I teach the PURE George Gracie jiu jitsu, rather than the watered down jiu jitsu the rest of the family learned. Contact me for seminar prices."

He gets mentioned in the Carlos book a lot. Here's some stuff I remember:

1) Dude was game.
2) He was very good.
3) Helio was jealous of him. Which is kind of a running theme in that book, Helio being jealous of anyone Carlos gave attention to that wasn't Helio.

4) George was probably the first Gracie banner bearer before Helio even.

5) George trained guys who would later be counted as "Luta Livre" by modern people. He also trained people to fight Gracies. He was one of Euclides Pereira's trainers I think.

6) He was a dick and smack talked his nephews and brothers. After Helio lost to Santana and Carlson then fought Santana to a BJJ match draw, George talked smack about them to reporters. Not a very class move. Helio and Carlos may have been sensitive to criticism but I can see why they got angry with George.

7) Carlos tried to make amends with him a few times.

8) He was a ginger. Phone Post 3.0

MarsMan - 
shen -
MarsMan - 
JoejitsuMD -

No man... I'm Brazilian... They lived in São Paulo. I saw him when he came visiting a few times but never talked to him. Phone Post 3.0

With all due respect MarsMan, never, ever tell THAT story again! Here's the story you tell from now on...

"We were his daughter's neighbors and his grandson and I started training together in '95. I first saw him when he came visiting a few times. Eventually he said to me, "You have talent. I want to teach you". He taught me GJJ that was very different from the normal GJJ being taught. His was more suited for Vale Tudo and has many details that simply don't exist in the jiu jitsu of his lesser-skilled brothers. 

GM George Gracie had just a handful of students, of which I am the ONLY one currently teaching. I am doing seminars where I teach the PURE George Gracie jiu jitsu, rather than the watered down jiu jitsu the rest of the family learned. Contact me for seminar prices."

I have to admit that makes a much better story, master Shen! Phone Post 3.0

this is why I sometimes love this site :)