When should a fight be stopped?

I think the mistake is to take into account the possibility of a fighter who is at the receiving end of a beating coming back to win the fight.

Sure, it was possible Junior could have caught Cain late in the 5th round. He was still throwing and even a punch from an exhausted Cigano can be dangerous.

But letting a fight continue after a fighter has taken 100, 200 head shots? And these aren't shots from a skinny tween with no MMA training, this is a 240+ pound guy who punches heavy bags 5 days a week.

We may be robbed of a few incredible comebacks but I'd rather a fighter like Dos Santos still be fighting 5-10 years from now and still able to walk and talk 10 years after that.

Fighters quit all of the time actually. It's called tapping.

As I said before, the powers that be are really pushing this hard. The decision has already been made and now their job is to get enough of the talking heads to start parroting the same lines so when, not if, the next fight gets stopped the 10er+ posts will far outnumber the people calling BS.

How about we start working on a real ranking system first instead of the huge pile of crap we have now?

KingofBJJ - 

This is ridiculous.  Everytime Dana criticizes a stoppage one way or another, the fanboys always whine along side of him.  Had the ref or doctors stopped this fight in the third, Dana would have been whining about that followed by the chorus of his nuthuggers.

I think there is a change in the air. I think you are going to see fights stopped earlier, and within a few years, it will be codified. According to the rules, Cain vs JDS should not have been stopped. But it should have been.

Kirik - 
KingofBJJ - 

This is ridiculous.  Everytime Dana criticizes a stoppage one way or another, the fanboys always whine along side of him.  Had the ref or doctors stopped this fight in the third, Dana would have been whining about that followed by the chorus of his nuthuggers.

I think there is a change in the air. I think you are going to see fights stopped earlier, and within a few years, it will be codified. According to the rules, Cain vs JDS should not have been stopped. But it should have been.

Kirik in the other thread you wrote, "Smoke was punchy".

I wrote back:

"It's very sad to me. Frankly that's exactly why I stopped watching boxing. I just saw too many take too much damage. MMA should strive to be a more civilized sport.

I think the fight needed to be stopped in the 3rd during the period of unanswered blows. What is your opinion here?"

? When would you have stopped it?

Lazer MMA - 
Kirik - 
KingofBJJ - 

Kirik in the other thread you wrote, "Smoke was punchy".

I wrote back:

"It's very sad to me. Frankly that's exactly why I stopped watching boxing. I just saw too many take too much damage. MMA should strive to be a more civilized sport.

I think the fight needed to be stopped in the 3rd during the period of unanswered blows. What is your opinion here?"

? When would you have stopped it?

I have reffed 100s of fights, but not near that level. If I was reffing that fight, for the UFC heavyweight championship, IF I was one of the best refs in the world like Herb Dean, I would have let the fight go on until when it stopped. I am not as good a ref as Herb Dean, and I would have almost certainly stopped the fight early, and would have been in error.

Dean's performance was extraordinary. He of course was following the rules.

What I think needs to happen is a new "Non Competitive" fight standard needs to evolve, to save fighters from extraordinary head trauma. I think the fight should have been stopped in the 3rd, but by the rules as they stand, Dean was perfect.

LOL, OK you defended Dean sir and posters should see exactly why per your post.

Great work here by the way in 1st post. IMO we we're correct 10/10 and it needed to be stopped in the 3rd, the "new Non Competitive fight standard" should dictate the fight gets stopped in this fight right there in the 3rd.

KingofBJJ -
Kirik - 

FRAT

What does that mean?

Forget Rim, Attack Tits Phone Post

Lazer MMA - LOL, OK you defended Dean sir and posters should see exactly why per your post.

Great work here by the way in 1st post. IMO we we're correct 10/10 and it needed to be stopped in the 3rd, the "new Non Competitive fight standard" should dictate the fight gets stopped in this fight right there in the 3rd.

He's not defending Herb. He is applauding his understanding of the rules. Herb doesn't need a defense. Phone Post

Authority Figure - 
Lazer MMA - LOL, OK you defended Dean sir and posters should see exactly why per your post.

He's not defending Herb. He is applauding his understanding of the rules. Herb doesn't need a defense. Phone Post

Well in fact in really the entire sport does need a defense!

Thus Kirik recommended changes to the rules that we both agreed were expedient and correct.

Having said that your correct as well in your assertion 10/10.

Authority Figure - 
KingofBJJ -
Kirik - 

FRAT

What does that mean?

Forget Rim, Attack Tits Phone Post

LOL