When stores ask you to donate to charity

I've always been tempted to say something strange when they ask if I want to donate to some charity when I'm buying groceries. Maybe a stern, "No, I'm against them. I looked them up on charitywatch.com!"

2 Likes

It's a pet peeve of mine also. 

I usually just donate $5 and go about my day. 

1 Like

I'm not a fan of being asked to donate, I go out of my way to find causes that I give to. I'm not sure, but do the donations go towards the establishment or corporations tax breaks in any way? Like "Vons supermarkets donated 500K to charity"?  

I'll just leave it as a question, I never thought about it that way until right now. 

They hit me up at firehouse subs if i want to round up the change for chairty. Panda express does the same. Its never more than like 50 cents.

Thrill Hammer -

They hit me up at firehouse subs if i want to round up the change for chairty. Panda express does the same. Its never more than like 50 cents.

Firehouse Subs donations make sense. 

At Firehouse Subs, subs are only part of our story. A portion of your purchase in 2019 at all US Firehouse Subs locations goes to the Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation, to be used to provide lifesaving equipment to first responders. 

Since the Foundation started, it has granted over $44 million to provide equipment, training, and support to hometown heroes.

I do a ton of volunteer work for kids (never compensated) so I always say, I actually gave yesterday..

ABCTT_sakurabas ear -
Thrill Hammer -

Firehouse Subs donations make sense. 

At Firehouse Subs, subs are only part of our story. A portion of your purchase in 2019 at all US Firehouse Subs locations goes to the Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation, to be used to provide lifesaving equipment to first responders. 

Since the Foundation started, it has granted over $44 million to provide equipment, training, and support to hometown heroes.

Their buckets are also awesome.

"Firehouse of America will donate 0.11 percent of your purchase in 2019 at all US Firehouse Subs locations to the Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation. This percentage will result in a minimum donation of one million dollars. This percentage will result in a minimum donation of one million dollars. "

.11% 

How do they stay in business?

1$. That's all they get from me.

I just say I donated last time.

No. I don't know where that money goes. My wife and I stretch ourselves thiiiiiin by setting aside money for those in need that we may know personally. So that way if I see that person is fucking off with our generosity, I know where to find them if I so choose.

1 Like

I always say no thanks.

"Would you like to donate towards helping starving children?"  

"No thanks" in a thanks for asking kind of way.

They don't care.  They have to ask.

I'm Canadian so they can get it from the 50k a year a pay in taxes. Fuck them as they take all the donations group them together and get a tax receipt. 

1 Like

anyone who donates to a charity they haven't looked into is a sucker 

Considering that my donation goes to companies bottom line, hell no.
The only exception is if it is for local charity.

I No Kung Foo -

I always say no thanks.

"Would you like to donate towards helping starving children?"  

"No thanks" in a thanks for asking kind of way.

They don't care.  They have to ask.

This.

Do you think some minimum wage cashier is judging you for not donating? They don't give a shit. It's all self imposed guilt. 

I just say no and go on about my day. 

A simple no thanks from me. I never give money to any church or religious funds. I support St. Judes and Nothing but nets.