When the media actually argues against freedom...

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/policy-and-politics/2020/5/22/21256151/coronavirus-pandemic-american-culture-keith-humphreys

America’s public health experts are working hard to map out a

plan to combat the coronavirus in America. And there are indeed many proposals — from academic centers, from think tanks, and from the government.

While the plans differ, nearly all of them rely on some combination of surveillance, mass testing, isolation, and contact tracing. Many of them point to countries like Singapore, South Korea, and Germany as examples of how to intelligently respond to the pandemic.

But what if the successful strategies in those countries just won’t work in America?

This question was posed by Keith Humphreys, a Stanford University professor who works on addiction and public health policy, in a viral Twitter thread last week. Humphreys argued that a lot of his public health colleagues weren’t thinking seriously enough about the cultural obstacles that might undercut the country’s efforts to test, trace, and isolate Americans. He later penned a Washington Post columndrawing out his arguments in a little more detail.

Humphreys’s basic claim is that any plan we adopt, no matter how wise, is useless without “widespread political consent” from American citizens. And the obsession with individual liberties in America, coupled with a general distrust of government, poses an enormous challenge to even the best conceivable plan.

I spoke to Humphreys by phone about what he thinks public health experts are failing to recognize, and if he believes America is too libertarian to handle a collective action problem like the coronavirus pandemic.

A lightly edited transcript of our conversation follows.

Sean Illing

Lay out America’s “political-cultural” problem for me. Why are you worried that we can’t deal with this pandemic the way other countries have?

Keith Humphreys

Well, I think we’re different from the other democracies that have handled this well in our long-term resistance to the growth of the state in general, but also in the domain of health. Why is it that every other developed country has government-guaranteed health care and we do not? The obvious reason is that there’s an instinctive aversion to government power in the DNA of America. This is the only major democracy in which a huge number of people have fought to prevent a government guarantee of health care for all citizens.

(Continued at the link...)

1 Like

Hasn't it become painfully clear in the last couples to just about everyone that the United States governement is completely incapable of providing for its citizens?

Nobody knows what the fuck they are doing. 

From top to bottom our elected officials and unelected health ‘experts’ have shown themselves to incompetent at best and vindictive tyrants at worst.

The governor of Michigan opined that protesters who get covid shouldn't be treated. Think about that the next time someone advocates for giving these people the power to make that decision. 

Oppose an official politically? 

No medical care for you.

Anyone who doesn't think that will happen hasn't be paying attention these last few months. 

DuffyLaCoronilla - 

Hasn't it become painfully clear in the last couples to just about everyone that the United States governement is completely incapable of providing for its citizens?

Nobody knows what the fuck they are doing. 

From top to bottom our elected officials and unelected health ‘experts’ have shown themselves to incompetent at best and vindictive tyrants at worst.

The governor of Michigan opined that protesters who get covid shouldn't be treated. Think about that the next time someone advocates for giving these people the power to make that decision. 

Oppose an official politically? 

No medical care for you.

Anyone who doesn't think that will happen hasn't be paying attention these last few months. 

It's not like someone like her could be nominated for VP, her ticket wins, and then her senile president dies....

TOTALLY IMPOSSIBRU! 

I did some reading earlier today, trying to get a feel for what's going on in my area (NJ). It's no secret the state has been hit hard. So I looked at the figures, town by town, and saw a clear correlation between demographics and cases of covid. You can safely guess which way the data points. 

So it'll be a cold day in hell before I willingly give up more freedom for a crisis worsened by assholes who failed to do the right thing. So many of the "problem people" are already a burden on society, and its beyond tiresome. 

If we need a dose of pragmatism, then I suggest people wake up and realize that we aren't all equal, on the same page, give a shit, are able to coexist happily. Enough carrying the water for societal dregs who offer nothing positive to our society.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin 

1 Like