When will they go to 2 mins between rounds?

UGCTT_Messiah -
cwb100 - There would be less finishes. When fighters get exhausted they get knocked out or sub'd Phone Post 3.0
Possibly, but there could also be more competitive fights, and less gassed out wrestlers having a shitty kickboxing match.

Interesting idea. Phone Post 3.0
Wrestlers tend to be the least likely to gas. The guys known for their cardio in mma are all wrestlers... ya some have but cmon . Phone Post 3.0

How about a compromise? Mandatory 1 minute minimum, 2 minute maximum. After the first minute finishes the clackers go off and either corner can end the rest period. Add some drama and uncertainty between rounds. Will a fighter end the rest early because he thinks he has the better cardio or the other guy is rocked? How tired is either guy? Will a corner just do it to fuck with the other side? Will a confident fighter let his opponent do the full 2 minutes just to show how dominant he is?

90 seconds IMO. Phone Post 3.0

On FOX events it's closer to 70 seconds on average.

Every single prime time FOX event hams featured no 60 second between round breaks.

I'm a horses ass and started timing them because it felt off and there's even been 75 second in between rounds intervals as they finish an ad.

The rules are 60 seconds period.

Not 62. Not 65. Definitely not 70 but anything on Fox gets more time and it's definitely a matter of TV spots. Phone Post 3.0

Rather see no rounds Phone Post 3.0

More time for commercials Phone Post 3.0

Bucephalus - Boxing has 3 minute rounds and 1 minute breaks.

MMA has 5 minute rounds but somehow MMA inherited boxing's scoring and rest period. wtf.

In boxing, rests are 1/3 the round length.

In MMA, rests are 1/5 the round length.

If MMA rest periods were also 1/3 the round length, they would be 90 seconds.
100 seconds if my math is right. Phone Post 3.0

Never_rolled - Many fighters have said they would prefer no breaks.
Very easy to say that when there's a 0% chance of it happening. Fights would be horrible to watch with no break. Conservatism would take over IMO. A lot of guys don't go for finishes early on for the fear of being gassed for the remainder. A 2 minute rest is massive for recovery. Muay Thai has it and I think it adds to the sport Phone Post 3.0

Fuck no,  some people are just getting going at the 3 min mark.

aarick161 - 
Bucephalus - Boxing has 3 minute rounds and 1 minute breaks.

MMA has 5 minute rounds but somehow MMA inherited boxing's scoring and rest period. wtf.

In boxing, rests are 1/3 the round length.

In MMA, rests are 1/5 the round length.

If MMA rest periods were also 1/3 the round length, they would be 90 seconds.
100 seconds if my math is right. Phone Post 3.0

Yes, you're right. Thank you.

It makes for a better argument.. MMA would still have a lower rest-per-round ratio at 90 seconds than boxing has with their minute.

JeffersonDArcyChoke - On FOX events it's closer to 70 seconds on average.

Every single prime time FOX event hams featured no 60 second between round breaks.

I'm a horses ass and started timing them because it felt off and there's even been 75 second in between rounds intervals as they finish an ad.

The rules are 60 seconds period.

Not 62. Not 65. Definitely not 70 but anything on Fox gets more time and it's definitely a matter of TV spots. Phone Post 3.0

It's utterly at the ref's discretion when to restart the match. I believe it's merely that fighters have to be standing in their corners ready to go at 60 seconds.

I think 75 seconds is something that would benefit the fighters while the viewer would barely notice, and would only minimally impact event-length, which is probably the main thing a promoter would be concerned about.

I'd like to see the UFC try it at least. They could simply request an AC-exemption to try it at an event (I think a three-event trial period would be good). Since it's pretty fucking difficult to construe this as harmful, I don't see how it wouldn't be granted.

They don't need to change that rule. There is no real reason to do it so it's kind of silly to even seriously discuss it. Phone Post 3.0

RKing85 - 1 minute is fine.

Never once in my life have I ever thought, the break between rounds should be longer.

Absolutely. If a fighter doesn't have good enough cardio to keep fighting then he deserves to lose.

MdGeist - They don't need to change that rule. There is no real reason to do it so it's kind of silly to even seriously discuss it. Phone Post 3.0

Cool beans man. Feel free to add something deeper than a circular declarative statement if you like. Or not.

HULC - 
RKing85 - 1 minute is fine.

Never once in my life have I ever thought, the break between rounds should be longer.

Absolutely. If a fighter doesn't have good enough cardio to keep fighting then he deserves to lose.

So much this.

Zero would be better.
Its a fight. People shouldn't be 'saved by the bell' or using the clock to their advantage.

PUBLICnoose -
ShootProod - Bring back the 10 minute first round.
Yes yes yes Phone Post 3.0
This and 1.5min break Phone Post 3.0

Instead of longer breaks I would definitely prefer a 10 min first round then a five min second round. Phone Post 3.0