When your parents become senile

Anyone dealing with this now? In one year there is an obvious difference with my dad. He’s much slower in speech, walking, etc. He’s 73. He used to be a very sharp person.

His diet isn’t so good. Eats lots of meat and some junk food. I’ve heard of seniors becoming mentally better with improved diet and supplements. Anyone have advice?

My dad is the same age. Same thing but he’s in pretty good physical shape. He’s starting to ask me the same questions over and over again at dinner, for example. Short term memory is degrading but he can remember names and dates from 40 years ago. Sad but fascinating how the mind works.

https://m.ctpost.com/technology/businessinsider/article/One-type-of-exercise-is-the-closest-thing-to-a-12779953.php

I have no medical advice or voodoo bullshit to offer, but the one wicked important emotional truth I have to share is: Don't allow it to push you away. It fucking sucks to watch it happen, but what sucks WAY worse is the guilt you'll feel forever from not having watched it happen.

Yeah, I deal with this every day.

My dad has a TBI from a brain bleed and lost his working memory this year. He sometimes tells me the same things 5, 10, 15 times in the space of an hour. Doesn't know his closest relatives names. Has no idea how to do all sorts of things anymore.He has a caretaker 24/7 because he is not safe to leave alone. It is not easy.

Before that he had SOME mild cognitive decline, but not Alzheimers.

The best thing to to is get him a neuro eval --if he will do it. Although this stuff is difficult it is EXTREMELY common and there are a lot of answers out there that you just don't know about yet --Like having him take a medication like aricept to help delay dementia.

Get a neuro eval from a gerontologist or neurologist start there. They can give you a lot of useful info. GOOD LUCK!

Dealing with the early symptoms of this now. It's scary to think about how bad it might get

Try and get him on a high dose of Lions mane, it's neurogenerative.

sicko - Dealing with the early symptoms of this now. It's scary to think about how bad it might get

It can get really bad. Not saying it will, but when it does my God is it difficult to deal with. I dealt with this with my grandpa during his last year of life. I don’t know which part was worse- him being combative one minute and wanting to fight me and laughing and joking the next or him forgetting everything all the time. He’d think of something he needed to do, put his shoes on, go to the car and then two minutes later he’d be back inside because he had no idea what he was supposed to be doing or where he was supposed to be going. That’s when we took his keys and holy fuck, you want to talk about a difficult battle there. It’s tough OP. I understand. Try your hardest to be there for him and hopefully you have family that will as well to ease some of the burden on you, because it can become both physically and emotionally exhausting.

My experience is once they get to a certain level they don't improve from there. At best they stabilize.

My mom passed away last year. For the last 4-5 years she had sunk into dementia badly, she constantly thought that she was going to get taken away to jail because she did not treat her stepdaughter good enough (she did just fine), to the point where she tried to kill herself multiple times. Between the suicide attempts and her declining health she was in and out of the hospital a lot (mostly in, she would be there for a few months while they tried different medications to help her, they would seem to work so they would release her and then a couple weeks later she would start freaking out again. The last time she was in she caught a bug and died, she was 63.

my mom is 80, sometimes she's fine, others she'll literally give her credit card over the phone so people. It's really scary, she won't move, but some of her neighbors have told us, people that move to assisted living ect tend to go down hill really quick. They (her neighbors) promise to look out for her.

I tried to get her to move near me, but she won't. I'm looking into something like care.com to have someone go over once a day for a couple hours to make sure she has a real meal, cause she'll often just eat cookies or chips for days.

luffy - Try and get him on a high dose of Lions mane, it's neurogenerative.

I'd like to know more about this. 

My great grandmother and my grandmother both suffered the affects of severe memory loss / dementia and I've noticed that over the last two or three years my memory has become increasingly worse that it used to be....and I'm not even 40 yet.  I certainly don't want to be going through the same thing much sooner if there is something to be done about it.  

Thuglife13 -

This is why I wanna live til 50 and call it a day...

Okay Mr Millennial. Let us know if you still feel like that when you are 45 and still feel 25.  

My dad will be 58 this year and alcohol has made him a very old man. It’s terrible sad

I dread this day.

I’m going through this right now.  As we speak I’m in Chicago getting my dad ready to bring him down with me to Texas.  What’s worse is his memory is the only thing effected and he knows something is wrong.  Also what’s worse is my wife is probably gonna file for divorce next week so I’ll be dealing with it alone.  Pray for me fellas 

My father is 73, pretty shot. 90% of his health problems are diet related. He eats like shit, a ton of processed food, beer, and snacks. If he would clean up his diet and exercise most of his issues would go away, but you can't talk sense to him at his age...

Before my dad passed away, he was showing the beginning signs of Alzheimer's. It began shortly after he retired.

When people retire, they really need to keep the pace up both physically and mentally

tbizzle - 
luffy - Try and get him on a high dose of Lions mane, it's neurogenerative.

I'd like to know more about this. 

My great grandmother and my grandmother both suffered the affects of severe memory loss / dementia and I've noticed that over the last two or three years my memory has become increasingly worse that it used to be....and I'm not even 40 yet.  I certainly don't want to be going through the same thing much sooner if there is something to be done about it.  

Could your memory issues be related to depression?

Various nootropics can help with memory loss. Start with a choline supplement if you're not getting enough in your diet. Add piracetam and oxiracetam.

Microdosing (200-500mg) magic mushrooms can also have a positive effect on memory as well, but personally I had better results with taking a single larger dose (2-5g). Just be sure you read up and prepare when taking large doses because it will unlock your subconscious and you will have no choice but to face your "demons". It's a wild ride you have to weather with great results.

Dad has alzheimers and parkinsons.

Mom has already passed away.

It is brutal.

We (his children) have made some serious sacrifices to make sure he is safe and cared for and loved.

That is all you can do... pay it back and then pay it forward.

In terms of advice for OP... try to fix his diet and exercise now.  You can stave off dementia by focusing on that now... once he gets MCI (Mild Cognitive Impairment - the precursor to dementia) it will become more difficult.

You should have your father see a geriatrician and have them administer cognitive testing.  They can test for MCI. You can also have him see a neurologist.

Good luck.