Where are the new HWs?

Blaydes, Ngannou, and Moldavsky can't be the only young HWs coming up that can compete at a high level can they?

There is some decent money to be had for the high level HWs.... its not like its $10k and $10k for those guys.

How long have we been watching Arlovski, Kongo, Oleynik, Kharitonov, Rothwell etc...?

Its not that I don't understand why those guys can still compete.... I get it, power is the last to go and speed is not as important up there but still... I'm just shocked there is not more young talent to climb the ranks in Bellator/UFC. I know fights like Fedor vs Rampage will always be made because if it makes money it makes sense.

No sure what is up with greco world champ Aliakbari but he can't get a UFC deal it seems.

Freestyl e Olympain Ali Isaev just KOed Goltsov and TKOed Rosholt to win the PFL tourmy but he is stuck in PFL so he can't compete in the UFC talent pool or add to it.

Minakov has not fought in almost a year...again.

HW is just at a point that the talent divided up in PFL/Bellator/UFC combined with the Arlovski's of the division hanging around too long and the talent pool of young talent being too small it just makes it so boring.

There was a time we could watch a whole night of elite HW fights when PRIDE was on top.

The 2020 HW division is totally boring and DC and Stipe's twitter comments have to fill the void because there are no HW filled cards to talk about and no amazing HW fights to discuss on Sunday mornings.

In terms of interest, I've never had less interest in HW MMA in the past twenty seven years than I do in 2020.

It looks like USADA upheld Aliakbari's previous doping violations in wrestling so they terminated his contract. 

cyberc92 -

It looks like USADA upheld Aliakbari's previous doping violations in wrestling so they terminated his contract. 

Ok thats right, forgot.

Honestly aside from DC and Stipe, I get excited for a Derrick Lewis fight. For a time I was excited when Tuivasa was on a card. I enjoy Chase Sherman and Walt Harris. Also Mitrione. 

I think also Justin Tafa (sp?). 

But you’re right. At a time when you would think there would be more skilled HWs filling the landscape, it’s the opposite. I was just going on the other night about Ivanov and how he’s not exciting to watch, and I pretty much feel the same way about 90 percent of heavyweights. 

2 Likes

It's really hard imo being a HW and being good. There isn't a lot of people trying to be HW fighters and those that are. There isn't a lot of talent.

its hard to train 3 disciplines as a HW and be able to show it in MMA. When you train in one aspect just a little bit more then the other it shows. 

Acidic -

It's really hard imo being a HW and being good. There isn't a lot of people trying to be HW fighters and those that are. There isn't a lot of talent.

its hard to train 3 disciplines as a HW and be able to show it in MMA. When you train in one aspect just a little bit more then the other it shows. 

Interesting to note before DC lost his belt... both UFC and Bellator had true and former LHWs as HW champions at the same time.

I’m disappointed that Ivanov and Minakov fizzled under the bright lights. Tough, talented guys.

I can’t think of any serious prospect HWs. That guy Yorgan DeCastro was probably considered the top prospect, but he just came in out of shape, and he lost to Greg fucking Hardy.

The Russian and Euro promotions don’t have anyone promising. Sergei Pavlovich is 2-1 in the UFC and seems to have improved since the Overeem loss. Ciryl Gane is a French MT fighter with good subs.

That’s it.

Tuivasa and Augusto Sakai both have time to develop still. Cyril Gane looks good. I wish Todd Duffee stayed healthy and fought more often....

Bring back 45 year old Crocop on TRT 

no can defend 

Bobby Lupo - I'm disappointed that Ivanov and Minakov fizzled under the bright lights. Tough, talented guys.

I can’t think of any serious prospect HWs. That guy Yorgan DeCastro was probably considered the top prospect, but he just came in out of shape, and he lost to Greg fucking Hardy.

The Russian and Euro promotions don’t have anyone promising. Sergei Pavlovich is 2-1 in the UFC and seems to have improved since the Overeem loss. Ciryl Gane is a French MT fighter with good subs.

That’s it.

Good list. Another thing about HWs in the UFC is the ones with any steam behind them get thrown to the wolves without time to properly develop their skills. Tuivasa is a good example of this. I think both Gane and DeCastro will develop pretty well within the top 15-20 at HW. 

Ngannou is almost 34 years old, if not older. In any division but heavyweight he would be on his way out.

The UFC needs to get some of these college wrestlers in the mix at HW. Throw money at Kyle Snyder or Anthony Cassar and let them build on on the Contender Series. 

Gomrad -

Bring back 45 year old Crocop on TRT 

no can defend 

![Scott Coker Doesn't Understand Those Taking Issue With Cro Cop ...](upload://53zHEfmlQiqpygm3TdsJfGoQANJ.jpeg)

cyberc92 -

The UFC needs to get some of these college wrestlers in the mix at HW. Throw money at Kyle Snyder or Anthony Cassar and let them build on on the Contender Series. 

Anthony Cassar actually just announced he signed with First Round Managment and will make the MMA transition after the Olympics.

Bobby Lupo - I'm disappointed that Ivanov and Minakov fizzled under the bright lights. Tough, talented guys.

That’s it.

Minakov had a shoulder injury but fought Kongo anyway, had shoulder and knee surgery after the Kongo II fight. KOed Tim Johnson fast in his comebakc fight last August. Has more visa issues now so a fall fight with Ayala was canceled.

At 35 years old and 22-1 in MMA, I’m hoping he at least earns another Bellator title shot and maybe finds a way to fight out his Bellator contract and get a UFC deal before he retires.

You think of how much UFC needs HW talent and then factor in they never got Fedor, Aleks, Kharitonov or Minakov.

BJ Penn Forever - 

That’s it.

Minakov had a shoulder injury but fought Kongo anyway, had shoulder and knee surgery after the Kongo II fight. KOed Tim Johnson fast in his comebakc fight last August. Has more visa issues now so a fall fight with Ayala was canceled.

At 35 years old and 22-1 in MMA, I’m hoping he at least earns another Bellator title shot and maybe finds a way to fight out his Bellator contract and get a UFC deal before he retires.

You think of how much UFC needs HW talent and then factor in they never got Fedor, Aleks, Kharitonov or Minakov.

It’s crazy that Minakov was a top 3 HW talent who was basically on the shelf for years, fighting bums in Fight Nights because of a lousy Bellator contract.

UFC should have been on that 7 years ago, doing what it took to get his contract broken and fighting in the UFC. They could have promoted him as Fedor 2.0. He had the best skill set I’ve seen from a big man since Fedor.

I really believe that Dana fucked things up with Fedor. Vadim and Fedor told a story of how they had come to terms with the UFC shortly after Pride folded. UFC made a very low initial offer, Vadim countered with more money, co-promotion, no champion’s clause auto-renew and Fedor can compete in other sports or orgs. Back and forth until they agreed on big money, can still do sambo, with champions clause. Fedor said that the contract faxed to them wasn’t what they agreed on and when Vadim reached out, they were told to take it or leave it. They left it.

Bobby Lupo -
BJ Penn Forever - 

That’s it.

It’s crazy that Minakov was a top 3 HW talent who was basically on the shelf for years, fighting bums in Fight Nights because of a lousy Bellator contract.

UFC should have been on that 7 years ago, doing what it took to get his contract broken and fighting in the UFC. They could have promoted him as Fedor 2.0. He had the best skill set I’ve seen from a big man since Fedor.

I really believe that Dana fucked things up with Fedor. Vadim and Fedor told a story of how they had come to terms with the UFC shortly after Pride folded. UFC made a very low initial offer, Vadim countered with more money, co-promotion, no champion’s clause auto-renew and Fedor can compete in other sports or orgs. Back and forth until they agreed on big money, can still do sambo, with champions clause. Fedor said that the contract faxed to them wasn’t what they agreed on and when Vadim reached out, they were told to take it or leave it. They left it.

its funny listening to posters attack fedor for “ducking” the ufc because he didnt want to get cucked like the rest of the roster. many of whom tried to later sue the ufc because of the terrible contracts that fedor and his mgmt team wanted no part of. 

1 Like
Bobby Lupo -
BJ Penn Forever - 

That’s it.

Yeah who knows why the UFC failed to get Minakov. To be honest, I don’t think they were even going after that much eatern euro talent seven years ago.

I think its nuts they let PFL get Ali Isaev but maybe it was his choice to go after the quick $1 million while he still has less than ten fights.

To this day I think the UFC only has like 30 or 40 Russians/former soviet bloc fighters. I know they have a deal with M-1 now so there is a pipeline and I know they work with managers that have a relationship with the ACA guys.

I’ll be honest, half the ACA roster is just as good as the average UFC signee these days.

I remember that who ordeal with Fedor. Crazy.

I think a lot of the fringe Top 10-15 LHW’s should consider a move to HW. There is so much less competition there, look at Latifi. As big a snoozer as that was, a lot of people thought he won and that was against a Top 5 former HW title challenger.

HW sucks and has for a long time. I don't get it