Where do you rank Igor's 37-0-0-1 run?

BringBackHeadbutts - 

Where do I rank Igor's run?

Well 5 years ago I made this thread and it should answer the question-

https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/UnderGround/Top-Ten-MMA-Reigns-of-All-time:2512644

This really bothers me.The link don`t work for me on old school frames or the regular no frames forum.I know that you have quality threads & posts.

BringBackHeadbutts -

https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/UnderGround/Top-Ten-MMA-Reigns-of-All-time:2512644

Now that you posted it, I read that thread in the past. Good thread.

Igor's ko of Bueno is one of my all time favorites 

crowbar - 
BringBackHeadbutts - 

This really bothers me.The link don`t work for me on old school frames or the regular no frames forum.I know that you have quality threads & posts.

Thanks for the feedback.  I am not sure why the link isn't working. I specifically googled the thread so that I could be linked to the no frames version that has the html link, but for me on this end it works.  Not sure why it's not working for you. 

I will ttt the thread 1 minute from now.  Just browse the current UG section today around the time of this post and hopefully you see it.  I put some work in but it was a few years ago so fighters like Amanda Nunes and/or Mighty Mouse might be more of a fit than others. 

This is the message that I get.

www.mixedmartialarts.com refused to connect.

Copy & pasted ^^^

crowbar -
Dangerousdoug - 
Connorwinztharematch - 
crowbar -

Greatest tournament fighter ever.

This

Royce*

Royce won 3 tournaments and Igor won 9.

Yeah, you stupid idiot!!

Miller -

Igor's ko of Bueno is one of my all time favorites 

Absolutely brutal

20th century GOAT 

1 Like
Connorwinztharematch -
crowbar -

This

Yup, this.

Winning is one thing and then there is how you do it, that’s why we will always remember Anderson Silva and Jon Jones for example. Jon Fitch had a pretty good record but… 

Igor started out as a svelte middleweight and towards the end of his career he dropped back down again, in his great years in between he was that same middleweight with a huge belly added on. While he got some can opponents unlike UFC champs today can get to show off he did it in the NHB days and did it better than anybody. Look at his record, many of his fights are one-night tournaments with 3 or 4 fights and he won them all apart from the Pride GP where Coleman was just too much (Igor had like 60 fights at that point and was already starting to go downhilll).

Likely roided up as likely most were so the playing field was even.

Like other sambo fighters he broke his hands all the time which is not a good thing for tournaments, he still won them. He handled Kerr when Kerr was perceived as proper invincible, wrestled and outmuscled him. When you get people thinking “how will anybody ever beat this guy?” and you have them thinking that for years, then you’re good.

1 Like

The stuff of legends.

rbl -

I have so much respect for the guys who fought real NHB. Multiple opponents, weight differences, shady promoters, brutal rules with most likely limited medical help afterwards... more like gladiators than athletes. The doors open and you fight whatever’s in front of you. To not only fight but thrive in that environment? Vovchanchyn is truly one of the greats. 

rbl said it so right ,

37-0-1 in the HEAVYWEIGHT division.  That is ridiculous.  9 tournaments.  Beat wrestlers, BJJ, shootfighters etc.  One of the most underappreciated MMA fighters (any division) in history.  Beat a prime juiced up Mark Kerr and beat him DOWN.

1 Like
rbl - 

I have so much respect for the guys who fought real NHB. Multiple opponents, weight differences, shady promoters, brutal rules with most likely limited medical help afterwards... more like gladiators than athletes. The doors open and you fight whatever’s in front of you. To not only fight but thrive in that environment? Vovchanchyn is truly one of the greats. 

This guy gets it.

What does a 4th number mean?

Win-Loss-Draw-No Contest?

stevekt -

What does a 4th number mean?

Win-Loss-Draw-No Contest?

Correct.

He may not be the GOAT but he was always my favourite to watch. He seemed to love the fight and he humbled many brutally. His streak was a great time to be an NHB

Wasn't there a rumor at some point that Igor went to fight a crime boss in prison? I don't know if its true but that was one of the most badass story ever.

FG_Gall - 

Wasn't there a rumor at some point that Igor went to fight a crime boss in prison? I don't know if its true but that was one of the most badass story ever.

I believe it happened.  It's been many years but I recall hearing a detailed story of how it all went down, but can't remember hardly any of it.  

per - 
Connorwinztharematch -
crowbar -

This

Yup, this.

Winning is one thing and then there is how you do it, that’s why we will always remember Anderson Silva and Jon Jones for example. Jon Fitch had a pretty good record but… 

Igor started out as a svelte middleweight and towards the end of his career he dropped back down again, in his great years in between he was that same middleweight with a huge belly added on. While he got some can opponents unlike UFC champs today can get to show off he did it in the NHB days and did it better than anybody. Look at his record, many of his fights are one-night tournaments with 3 or 4 fights and he won them all apart from the Pride GP where Coleman was just too much (Igor had like 60 fights at that point and was already starting to go downhilll).

Likely roided up as likely most were so the playing field was even.

Like other sambo fighters he broke his hands all the time which is not a good thing for tournaments, he still won them. He handled Kerr when Kerr was perceived as proper invincible, wrestled and outmuscled him. When you get people thinking “how will anybody ever beat this guy?” and you have them thinking that for years, then you’re good.

I think that this is the right way to look at it.

No reason to compare Igor to Jones, Khabib, GSP, Anderson, and Fedor. He was, for all intents and purposes, competing in a different sport. Tournament NHB. In that sport, he was the best we saw.

1 Like
Floppy Divac - 
crowbar -
Dangerousdoug - 
Connorwinztharematch - 
crowbar -

This

Royce*

Royce won 3 tournaments and Igor won 9.

Yeah, you stupid idiot!!

Welli f we are being honest, the biggest name in ANY of those tournies Igor won was Paul Varelens. The next biggest name is Fred Floyd!

Literally not one top 10 guy in all his tourney wins!