Where my WOK brothers at? The Art of Stir Fry

Just finished my first foray into cooking with a wok/stir fry.
It was AMAZING.

Garlic Shrimp and mixed greens w/noodles.

You can eat VERY healthy and still eat great tasting food.

AMA

How do you make the noodles not stick to the wok? Phone Post 3.0

winga - How do you make the noodles not stick to the wok? Phone Post 3.0

I have no issue with a properly seasoned carbon steel wok.

Do you still need to use a fair bit of oil though? Phone Post 3.0

So in Phone Post 3.0

winga - Do you still need to use a fair bit of oil though? Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, you still have to oil it up. I use peanut oil mostly.

Yeah I still need to use a fair bit of oil. I can not make healthy meals from wok cooking because of that. My wife's uncle runs a takeaway. The food is amazing but F**k me the amount of oil he uses is sickening. Phone Post 3.0

How strong is your flame? Do you use a LPG burner or stove top? Phone Post 3.0

Invisible Lats Syndrome - 

I seasoned with peanut so i'd have a nutty base, but I use canola to cook with

depends on what you mean by a fair amount. Some recipes call for you to add a teaspoon sesame oil.

cooking wise, the max you'd use in the pan is 2 tablespoons.

Canola is the healthiest oil to use. Now, with that 2 tbsp you'll be left with at least 1 tbsp to discard after your done cooking.

The dish I made in the pic was 220 calories, 6 grams of fat.

TFK_Fanboy - 

Wok is next thing I am going to get in to. I have a BGE and a lot of people use them on there.

For those interested in buying a quality wok check out the Wok Shop. Here is a link. http://www.wokshop.com/

wok shop is the correct answer

great folks...unbelievable customer service..they talke me out of spending money

whats a BGE ?

winga - How strong is your flame? Do you use a LPG burner or stove top? Phone Post 3.0

i'm using s stove top. a flat bottom wok works with it.

you could buy a high btu stove...which is nuts, or a outdoor one

http://www.amazon.com/Eastman-Outdoors-37212-22-Inch-Carbon-Steel/dp/B0002OOMRG/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1291151195&sr=1-2

not sure of BTU rating, but i think its around 55k

or, you could buy a turkey deep fryer and use the 55k burner from it

In Phone Post 3.0

Looks good! Phone Post 3.0

TFK_Fanboy - 
sreiter - 
TFK_Fanboy - 

Wok is next thing I am going to get in to. I have a BGE and a lot of people use them on there.

For those interested in buying a quality wok check out the Wok Shop. Here is a link. http://www.wokshop.com/

wok shop is the correct answer

great folks...unbelievable customer service..they talke me out of spending money

whats a BGE ?

Yeah I knew few people who have bought from there and all very happy, just like you. 

BGE is Big Green Egg. And on their forum pretty much everyone buys their woks form them too. 

BGE is a ceramic kamodo style cooker. So can how temps around 200 for days, can get up to 1100, or anything inbetween. Smokes, bakes, sears. Cook indirect, direct, raised, etc.

doh!

i know big green eggs well...just didnt associate it with wok cooking.

cool

Has the wok only just reached your far out land? So many people in here, so little wok-age Phone Post 3.0

In! Phone Post 3.0

Invisible Lats Syndrome - 

And, keep pushing 'em.

Yo, my brothers, here's my shit, very basic brown sauce:

oil
two tablespoons maggi
two tablespoons soy sauce
two tablespoons oyster sauce
chopped green onions

Heat and stir, mother fucker, woop woop!

I prefer sesame oil

This does not sound great but is one of the dishes  I fell in love with in China. They serve it as an appetizer.

Aged vinegar fried peanuts - ?????   Laocu huashengmi
Makes about 3 cups

1 cup tasty dark vinegar (balsamic recommended)
6 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons sea salt
¼ medium red onion, chopped (½ cup)
2 Persian or Japanese cucumbers, trimmed and chopped (1 cup)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 pound fresh, raw peanuts or almonds
3 cups (or so) vegetable or peanut oil; used, fresh-smelling oil okay here
2 green onions, trimmed and chopped (½ cup)
A small bunch of cilantro, chopped, optional
1 clove garlic, finely chopped, optional

1. Start by making the vinegar sauce:  Bring the vinegar, sugar, and salt to a boil in a small saucepan and then reduce the heat to medium. Simmer the vinegar until it has reduced a bit and has thickened; the vinegar will look heavier at this point and will drip more slowly off of a spoon or rubber spatula. It will thicken up more as it cools down.

2. Place the onion and cucumbers in a sieve or colander, sprinkle them with the other teaspoon of salt, shake them all around, and let the veggies sweat while you prepare the rest of the dish.

Nutty perfection
3. Pour the oil in your wok and add the nuts to the oil. Heat up the oil and nuts over medium-high heat until the oil begins to bubble, and then lower the heat to medium. Stir the nuts often while they cook. You want to maintain a high enough heat that a white foam forms around the nuts, but not so hot that the nuts burn. Stir and cook until the nuts are toasted and golden brown. Taste one to make sure: it should taste nice and toasty. At this point the nuts are done, even if they are not crunchy, because that won't happen until they cool down. Use a slotted spoon or Chinese spider to scoop the nuts out of the hot oil into a work bowl lined with a couple of  paper towels. Shake the nuts around in the bowl so that most of the oil gets sponged up by the towels, as this will allow the vinegar to cling to the nuts instead of sliding off. 

4. When the nuts have cooled down, squeeze any liquid out of the onions and cucumbers and add them to the nuts. Add whatever other condiments you want, like cilantro, chili, and/or garlic, as well as as much of the vinegar sauce as you like. Toss them all together and serve.

5. If you plan to serve this a lot later, keep the peanuts, sauce, and veggies separate so that they don't get all soggy. If you are only serving a couple of people, you can toss together only as much of the ingredients as you want and refrigerate the rest.