Where was Lyoto's takedown defense last night?

I thought he had a background in Sumo and he even trained with King Mo for this fight.

He should have stuffed 10 out of 10 takedowns from Bones last night because Im sure his coaches were expecting a takedown from Bones whenever he loses a striking battle or needs to get out of danger.

Lyoto has one of the best TD defenses in the UFC at LHW, yet Bones slammed him easily on the first try! Goes to show that, Bones can take anyone down at anytime he feels like! Doesn't matter what your wrestling predigree is. He will eventually take you down and use his patented vicious elbows.

Comon Lyoto where the fuck were the sprawls and Judo base? You knew it was coming and you were even winning the striking battle!

If not for that takedown, Lyoto could have scored the upset of the decade....he won the 1st round for sure...and was winning the 2nd till the takedown....

It made no sense that Lyoto was taken down so easily. He was coming into this fight with both Sumu and Judu.

Wait...didn't Jon Jones drop Machida by beating him to the punch, and dropping him, then choking him lifeless? All the takedown really resulted in was a cut.

He did a pretty good job of keeping it on the feet, actually. They tied up several times and Lyoto was able to keep it standing.

metatron303 - If not for that takedown, Lyoto could have scored the upset of the decade....he won the 1st round for sure...and was winning the 2nd till the takedown....
 LOL!  "He was winning until he lost!"

Capslock17ny - Wait...didn't Jon Jones drop Machida by beating him to the punch, and dropping him, then choking him lifeless? All the takedown really resulted in was a cut.

That "cut" fucked Lyoto up and it was because he couldn't stop the takedown. His coaches know Bones is dangerous on the ground on top with those elbows, not when he is striking. Machida should have put him away when he had the chance!

Machida was clocked before the td.

I was actually impressed that each time Machida attacked at Jones and Jones went to clinch, Machida was able to shrug them off.

This is MMA. Everything counts against everything.

Actually at 1 point Jones tried a pretty sloppy inside trip and Machida got out.

JBJ's takedowns are not that good and people will see that when he fights Evans. I don't think JBJ's ground control is even that good, Lyoto got up from the takedown pretty fast.

However, JBJ is lethal with the elbows, I think people are just not used to this kind of length.

I think JBJ is the best at combining things, but his wrestling or striking are actually not that great at all.

^ His striking isnt great yet he figured out arguably the trickiest striker in MMA within 2 rounds. It took Shogun, one of the other best strikers in MMA until the 2nd fight.

He has taken down every guy he's faced, including great wrestlers in MMA like Bader and Rampage and hard to take down guys like Machida (who Tito couldnt get down).

He has controlled every guy he's fought on the ground. That Machida, a BJJ BB, got up from one td, doesnt make him not great at it.

Judom is nailing it from a technical aspect as more fans should be...look at the Shogun fight, in a typical defense the knee across the belly from the bottom creates sufficient space for you to first block and then attempt to tie up your opponent's body and work for a sweep or an underhook and then work to stand back up...that ALL goes out the window when Jon Jones can hit you from 34 miles away...

I said the same thing about his striking yesterday that he thinks it's better than it is and had he tried to prove that point against Lyoto he would've been Machida/Rashad'd'd'd

Lite - He did a pretty good job of keeping it on the feet, actually. They tied up several times and Lyoto was able to keep it standing.

Agreed I think Machida done well in this fight. He won the 1st round, caught jones with some good shots. Hopefully see a rematch at some point in the future! Phone Post

Machida looked great in the first round.  I can't remember if Jones tried to take him down in the first round or not, but he looked confused which is to be expected with someone as unorthodox as Machida. 

By the time the 2nd round came along, Jones had him figured out and apparently, it doesn't matter how good your tdd is; Jones will eventually take you down.

judom - Actually at 1 point Jones tried a pretty sloppy inside trip and Machida got out.

JBJ's takedowns are not that good and people will see that when he fights Evans. I don't think JBJ's ground control is even that good, Lyoto got up from the takedown pretty fast.

However, JBJ is lethal with the elbows, I think people are just not used to this kind of length.

I think JBJ is the best at combining things, but his wrestling or striking are actually not that great at all.

and hes only getting better Phone Post

huh? I thought he did really well defending the takedown.

NarlyPersianDude - What the fuck, I remember Jones a few times trying to take Machida down, and Machida just kicked him off like nothing, I only remember one Jones takedown, where Machida got up less than a minute later.

Weird and non sensical I say

This is what happens when someone can't watch a fight with any objectivity.

I rewatched the fight and at no point does Jones try to take Machida down with Machida kicking him off like it's nothing. Hint: a clinch attempt is not a takedown. The only time Jones committed to takedown he easily rag dolled him.

If you're right, post the time and round of these unsuccessful takedowns and I will rewatch

T Bag -
NarlyPersianDude - What the fuck, I remember Jones a few times trying to take Machida down, and Machida just kicked him off like nothing, I only remember one Jones takedown, where Machida got up less than a minute later.

I rewatched the fight and at no point does Jones try to take Machida down with Machida kicking him off like it's nothing. Hint: a clinch attempt is not a takedown. The only time Jones committed to takedown he easily rag dolled him.
If you're right, post the time and round of these unsuccessful takedowns and I will rewatch

This. Jones didn't commit to any takedowns, from outside. They clinched a few times but again, it didn't seem like Jones was actively trying to force the takedown. The one time he really tried, he got it rather easily. Machida did look pretty strong clinching with Jones, however, but it was only a matter of time and once it was on the ground and Jones landed that elbow, the fight was heading to an end. Phone Post

judom - Actually at 1 point Jones tried a pretty sloppy inside trip and Machida got out.

I have to say I never hear you say anything positive about any wrestler in MMA, so who exactly are you comparing these guys to? Who are the actual good wrestlers in MMA?

Anek - It made no sense that Lyoto was taken down so easily. He was coming into this fight with both Sumu and Judu.

HAHAHAHA

made me think of that as well!

we need wallace back!

T Bag - 

Just rewatched the fight.. I think I fall into this category too. Poor Lyoto :(