Where were you on 9.11?

I had a conversation with some coworkers today and everyone kf us remembered, in great detail, exactly where we were, what we were doing, and the emotion we experienced on that day. 

What's your story...?

In my apartment getting ready for class. Saw the first tower smoking and watched as the second plane hit. Thought the whole world was going to hell. 

I was a defense contractor working in NoVA.  I saw the pentagon smoke.  Lost a couple friends that day

I worked in assembly at a firearms manufacturer, central time zone so it was shortly after we started work that the guy who did the IT stuff came through talking about the first plane hitting.  He was kind of a bullshitter and didn't say too many details, so my interpretation was that it must have been a small plane and not a commercial one.  After the news of the second plane hit, and everybody began to understand the magnitude of the situation, they got some tv's from somewhere.  They put one on my bench in the shop, and one in the conference room and everybody stopped working and watched.  I think we watched until the towers collapsed, then we went back to work.  They left the tv in the conference room on, and we went up there at breaktimes to see what was going on.

Around lunch time, the office workers came running out of the office and went down into the underground firing range.  Some guy had shown up in the reception area acting/talking crazy and they were afraid enough that they evacuated the office.  One manager knew I trained and came and got me to deal with the guy.  One of the other higher ups was a Vietnam Vet, he got ahold of ammo and loaded a rifle and went into Vietnam Vet mode and backed me up.  I got to go talk to the guy until the police showed up, the Vietnam Vet was on the other side of the door with a loaded AR-15.  He told me 3 different stories of what he wanted and what he was doing.  Police showed up, he had a loaded rifle in his vehicle and they took him away.  

10th grade I think first period.

3rd grade probably doing some retarded ass 3rd grader type shit. I do recall some kids parents coming and getting them. 

Elementary school. No memory of it what so ever. No mention of it at school at all 

I was on a volunteer fire department and missed the first truck to a medical call, so I turned the TV on and saw the second plane fly into the building and thought, oh that can't be good.

2nd Floor of the main Sea Org dorm building in Los Angeles.  We had no TVs, computer, internet or cell phones.  So unlike most people, I didn't see images from 9/11 until the newspaper the next day.  I didn't see video of it until even later.  I found out by radio.  I was woken up by guys in my dorm and they were talking about how a pilot could manage to fly into a building.  Right after I woke up, the reports came through that a 2nd plane had hit and we started to figure out what was really going on.  

I was working in Arkansas so i flew home to Cali. on Sept. 10 to spend my birthday (Sept. 11) week with my sons.

I was woken at about 6:30 by my 13 yo (at the time) letting me know the World Trade center was on fire.

We were all glued to the tv for the rest of the day.

Such a shitty time in my life.

Was on the west coast... got a call from my friend who lives in London... told me to turn on my TV.

Was shocking and disturbing.  Like everyone else... won't ever forget it.

Pensacola Florida at Navy School thinking I was going to go to world war 3.

Sitting in my flat in Bangkok. Just finished dressing up for a night on the town. Was killing time waiting for my friend to arrive. Sat on couch and ftuned into CNN international. Saw the first building smoking then a few minutes later, saw the 2nd plane hit. It was surreal. Didn't end up going out that night. Just called folks back in the US. 

As soon as flights were allowed to go over the states I was on a flight back and the rest is history 

Freshman in college. It was picture day. I was in between buildings when another student said that we were going to war because someone flew a plane into WTC. Had my picture taken and walked into my ethics class which was held in an amphitheatre. The only sound in the theater was coming from the large drop down screen. All the lights were off, nobody was talking. I walked in a few seconds before the second plane hit. The prof. teaching the ethics course was the school chaplain. He quietly informed us that the school would not be continuing classes on that day and if we so chose we could return to our dorms. All of this was going on and then I remembered my mom was supposed to be flying out of philly that morning for Seattle. 

I started freaking out as I couldn't get ahold of her or my dad. At this time there was no info on where the planes came from. My dad was supposed to be working in Linden, NJ. at one of the oil tank farms that morning. After about an hour I finally was able to get through to her and she said she was safe that her flight had been cancelled the night before. My old man said they started to throttle back transfers and were attempting to empty and shift reserve fuel out of the large tanks in case they were targeted.

My English professors husband was in tower 2 right before it went down. He was one of the last people to leave the building before it collapsed. 

I was supposed to be on that flight from Boston to LAX but pushed it back a week. Still fucks with me. 

Took that flight weeks later and you could cut the tension with a knife on that flight. We all knew it was the same flight from the same gate and they just changed the flight number. 

Impossible not to picture exactly how it went down. 

GenericAmerican -

2nd Floor of the main Sea Org dorm building in Los Angeles.  We had no TVs, computer, internet or cell phones.  So unlike most people, I didn't see images from 9/11 until the newspaper the next day.  I didn't see video of it until even later.  I found out by radio.  I was woken up by guys in my dorm and they were talking about how a pilot could manage to fly into a building.  Right after I woke up, the reports came through that a 2nd plane had hit and we started to figure out what was really going on.  

This guy needs to make a thread...

Was working graveyard shift in , coworker came in to relieve my shift and looked super pale and said America was under attack , was glued to the tv till it was time to go back to work 

64FordF100 -

I worked in assembly at a firearms manufacturer, central time zone so it was shortly after we started work that the guy who did the IT stuff came through talking about the first plane hitting.  He was kind of a bullshitter and didn't say too many details, so my interpretation was that it must have been a small plane and not a commercial one.  After the news of the second plane hit, and everybody began to understand the magnitude of the situation, they got some tv's from somewhere.  They put one on my bench in the shop, and one in the conference room and everybody stopped working and watched.  I think we watched until the towers collapsed, then we went back to work.  They left the tv in the conference room on, and we went up there at breaktimes to see what was going on.

Around lunch time, the office workers came running out of the office and went down into the underground firing range.  Some guy had shown up in the reception area acting/talking crazy and they were afraid enough that they evacuated the office.  One manager knew I trained and came and got me to deal with the guy.  One of the other higher ups was a Vietnam Vet, he got ahold of ammo and loaded a rifle and went into Vietnam Vet mode and backed me up.  I got to go talk to the guy until the police showed up, the Vietnam Vet was on the other side of the door with a loaded AR-15.  He told me 3 different stories of what he wanted and what he was doing.  Police showed up, he had a loaded rifle in his vehicle and they took him away.  

Crazy story. You will work in that industry? 

I was on a telephone pole in Rockford Illinois.

My grunt yelled up to me that a plane had hit the World Trade Center.

I said, "so what?  Get back to work."

15 min later, he refuses to pull the truck up.  "Hey boss, get down here, something's happening."

We went back to the shop, dropped off the truck and trailer and we went to a local bar.

Completely packed.  Teachers, lawyers, construction workers, every manner of person.  200 people in this bar, all watching the 20 or so TV's.

You could have heard a pin drop.

I was super sad today.  I grew up in the west village.  I had two friends killed in the towers.  This day sucks every year.

I was in college living with 2 homies in a party house. I was sleeping in after a long night and one roomie starts running down the hallway yelling how we are under attack. I dismiss it as him being an idiot until he starts pounding on my and roomie2's bedroom doors. I get up and look down the hallway into the living room where I see the tv showing the towers burn. I'm still half asleep and go into Red Dawn mode grabbing guns from my closet. Then I sit on the couch with a SKS on my lap realizing it was terrorists and not an invasion. For a few minutes there I honestly thought we were facing a new world war. Ended up going to astronomy class and it was really weird. Definitely hard to concentrate on the lesson.