Where would you take million dollar idea?

If you had something just pop into your mind that you felt had MAJOR potential for making money, what would be your next move?

I know about all the patenting kits, but lets say this is brand new and still in the rough idea stage. How do you approach people with it without them stealing your idea?

you do all the work yourself. Honestly about 99% of "million dollar ideas" are really just a shit ton of work and good business.

you can have people sign non disclosure/ non compete agreements. having said that, there pretty much is no such thing as a million dollar idea. For your idea to have value you will actually have to turn it into a product, introduce it to the market and then fine tune it.

AbbottMary - you do all the work yourself. Honestly about 99% of "million dollar ideas" are really just a shit ton of work and good business.

Right on. It's all about execution.

Like you have an invention or do you have some sort of business idea?

??????

Profit

The "Jump to Conclusions" mat has already been done.

Shark Tank Phone Post 3.0

1-800-invents Phone Post 3.0

Apply for Shark Tank. Phone Post

CDarwin - 

Apply for Shark Tank. Phone Post

Shark Tank is for small companies and buisness's that sell equity for money to improve the buisness. He has no buissness to use. Shark Tank would be an option a year after he goes public maybe.

Ggms beat me to it, but I actually think the show is an eye opener to many. (Me included.) Phone Post

I've got a few patents.

First step is write up a template for a non-disclosure agreement and have it reviewed by your solicitor. Make any work conditional on signing the NDA.

Next get an IP lawyer to review. There's only so much that can be patented given prior art and novelty, what's left to patent may not be useful for what the patent is for. Which is seeking damages in civil court for loss of business.

Also there's general ROI for IP protection. As in comparing the total cost of patenting and a successful court case with the loss of business and damages, keep in mind this is for all jurisdictions. A USPTO patent is worth precisely jack shit outside of the US.

Another aspect of patents is that if some embodiment of it was known before the patent was made, then you don't have a leg to stand on in court. So you can fuck yourself by say doing a field trial or making the patented details of it known publically before the patent existed.

Interdasting was just thinking of trying to patent some shit. I thought of redbox in 1997 while working in a video store. Need another idea like that now that I have some funds and in a better position to execute. Phone Post 3.0

Right into my bank account.

"Like you have an invention or do you have some sort of business idea?"

this would be a product that does not currently exist yet.

thanks for the replies.

I have no idea where to take mine!! Or where to start...ill probably just file it with all the other ones I let slip away.... Damn you blind spot indicators... Phone Post 3.0

HELWIG - 

"Like you have an invention or do you have some sort of business idea?"

this would be a product that does not currently exist yet.

thanks for the replies.

I know you can't spill it all here for obvious reasons but could you give us a hint, in general terms, as vague as necessary, what the product is about? (I always get super curious on threads like this.)

I have a great idea myself (an invention re gym equipment) that I will never follow through because I don't have the time or drive to make a prototype etc to test it.

I will take the "invention" with me in my grave. I KNOW the idea is good. I KNOW millions of people would like it. But I don't knoow that it would make for a profitable business idea. (Sometimes peopele buy stuff they don't need, and sometimes they don't buy stuff they do need.)

"I know you can't spill it all here for obvious reasons but could you give us a hint, in general terms, as vague as necessary, what the product is about? (I always get super curious on threads like this.)"

This would be something that many parents would want their kids to have as it would save on future expenses down the line.

Came to me out of absolute nowhere and I know next to zero about the industry it would be relevant in so I dont really know where where to begin.

Your gym equiptment idea sounds interesting too. I would think though that ANYTHING woud be better than taking it to the grave. Think about even selling the idea itself for some $.

Or would seeing someoen else potentially make millions off your idea haunt you til the end of your days?

HELWIG - 

If you had something just pop into your mind that you felt had MAJOR potential for making money, what would be your next move?

I know about all the patenting kits, but lets say this is brand new and still in the rough idea stage. How do you approach people with it without them stealing your idea?

The Honest answer is that if it REALLY is a million dollar idea, you need to get a patent. Also dont get a patent through some shitty commercial on tv.

Get a real law firm that handles patents. Its worth the extra money at this point.

My company gets outside product submissions all the time, 99% are fucking dumb,
If we meet with you it opens us to liability if we are developing something similar, So we wont even meet with you if you dont have a patent.