Which diesel to buy?

Getting a truck through work and I definitely want a diesel. I've always been a Chevy truck guy so my first inclination is to get a Duramax. All they ask is that it's white, 3/4 ton and 4x4. Let me hear your opinions on what models and years you feel are the best. It doesn't have to be brand new but I'd say at least 2000 or newer. Phone Post 3.0

they are all pretty good. duramax has a good rig. it is probably the most expensive.

the best pure diesel engine is the dodge with cummins. But the dodge has problems with front end parts , a/c etc...

Fords are nice as well. best body and drive train with the exception of the enigine. problem with blown injectors, oil in coolant etc..

what will you be using it for and how long will it have to last you?

Maybe a 2012ish Ram with cummins. I believe that's the last year before you need to start adding urea Phone Post 3.0

John Cable -

they are all pretty good. duramax has a good rig. it is probably the most expensive.

the best pure diesel engine is the dodge with cummins. But the dodge has problems with front end parts , a/c etc...

Fords are nice as well. best body and drive train with the exception of the enigine. problem with blown injectors, oil in coolant etc..

what will you be using it for and how long will it have to last you?
I install cabinetry and will be pulling a 12 foot trailer everyday. I live in colorado so it will see some steep grades and snow. It needs to last as long as possible lol Phone Post 3.0

They will be paying the down payment and the monthly payment will be on me. I will be financing it myself. They pay an extra 1.5% if I go this route instead of using a shitty company provided van. They pay all gas. That extra 1.5% comes to about $600-700 a month so it pays for the car note. Phone Post 3.0

who pays for repairs and maintenance?

John Cable -
who pays for repairs and maintenance?
Me. That's why they pay the extra 1.5%. Phone Post 3.0

I am thinking Dodge for you. 2006 to 2008 low mileage. good luck finding one.

5.9 if you can find one. You will have to rework the a/c and lots of pos front parts. They upgraded the front end components in 08. Will you need 4x4?

John Cable -

I am thinking Dodge for you. 2006 to 2008 low mileage. good luck finding one.

5.9 if you can find one. You will have to rework the a/c and lots of pos front parts. They upgraded the front end components in 08. Will you need 4x4?
4x4 is a must Phone Post 3.0

Vin Phone Post 3.0

why diesel? longevity? The 12 foot trailer can be pulled by a gasser.

John Cable -

Power and torque. Phone Post 3.0

Early 2000's LB7 Duramax eat head gasket and injectors, mid 2000's and up are more reliable and easy to make fast. Allison transmission is not as great as people think it is. Trucks have torsion bars, which is kind of shitty. Very easy to make power with.

Ford 6.0 is pos, I mean fucking AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS, even if it's been "bulletproofed". Ford 6.4 makes A LOT of power easily but is unreliable without spending a bunch of money on deletes & head studs, the 6.7 is reliable but they are still pretty expensive since 11 was the first year. 7.3 is a hoss in the towing department, but slower than all of the modern diesels, but will run forever, although you will have to replace some retarded shit depending on condition and miles (they eat water pumps, high pressure oil pump loves to just decide to leak from wherever, leak fuel etc).

Cummins are good but the common rail trucks have some issues, transmission isnt great until later 2000's. Mid 2000's without all of the emissions garbage is the way to go, but they are stupid expensive now for what they are. Older trucks (early 2000 and down) are pos inside and out though, I mean shit box garbage interior.

Just depends on how nice of a truck and how much hp you want, as well as price. Bang for the buck, the 7.3 is hard to beat, and is the most reliable or in a dead heat run with certain year Cummins, and the rest of the truck will hold up a bit (the auto is a weak point). Slow, but makes torque everywhere (445 cube diesel with a turbo will do that), easy to modifiy, easy to work on (compared to other diesels anyway), will last 500+k miles if things are taken care of (the transmission will NOT) and will out pull any gas truck ever made by far.

Also, 7.3's were in the old body trucks, but in the newer body's they ran from 99-03, 03 was also the first year for the 6.0, so a majority of 03's for sale are 6.0's.

John Cable - 

Not only will any diesel murder a gas truck in the towing department, at elevation it's even more substantial because a naturally aspirated vehicle starts losing a lot of power, whereas a turbo vehicle is much less affected by it.

good info.

finding a good 7.3 in a clean truck will be tough. a big clattery loud commercial style diesel.

any used diesel in your price range will probably eat you up in repairs and upgrades.

How about a newish chevy 3/4 ton 4 door with a 6.0 gasser and a 4.10 rear end. Standard transmission will give you power on the hills. SIMPLE. You could probably afford one with a warranty. they are paying for gas so who cares.

More money in your pocket. Diesels are huge costs in maintenance and parts to fix.

I will say that if you can find a good clean 2002 dodge diesel with an upgraded lift pump system. You will be good to go. I wish I had never sold mine.

You could upgrade the front end parts for about 3 grand. Those things are goats. I pulled 9,000 with mine and it did not slow down on the hills. I had a six speed manual though. She pulled nice. Tracked really well. When I let off the clutch the load would was moving. I backed a travel trailer up slippery grass campground and it was with complete control. Other trucks were spinning out and sliding sideways. I had mediocre off road tires.

It is tough to find a nice one, but even finding nice gas trucks is a pain now, people run trucks into the ground, the nice ones are always pricey! An 07+ Tundra will actually hold up decently, as much as it pains me to say it.

A 6.0 GM gas truck with 4.10's will only get around 9-10 mpg pulling a trailer at sea level, probably a bit worse in Colorado. The bastard will practically run forever though (for a gas truck), and 6.0's and 4L80E (if you go auto) are cheap and the trucks are stupid easy to work on.

My friend bought his 05 6.0 reg cab auto 4.10 truck new, pulls a carpet trailer 5-6 days a week all over the place, it has in the low or mid 200's on it now, still kicking, but he says it consumes more oil than it used to and has lost some power. My neighbor's 6.0 truck is an 03-04, it has been through hell, probably hasnt had the oil changed in a long time, leaks like a fucker, he revs it to 5000+ rpm when it's completely cold all the time (not good!), but it's still kicking and has 250-260k miles.

I considered a cheap 6.0 truck for awhile, but the MPG ran me away, my 7.3 gets 18-20 mpg on the highway depending on speed, and 16-18 in the city depending on how much of that is in town highway vs stop n go.

Phone Post 3.0

You are also right about diesel costs, even a 7.3 which is one of the cheapest to replace parts on can cost an assload, labor is high on any of them. Also, diesels can be a pain in the ass when it comes with fuel additives, which some need to keep the injectors working (nothing designed in the early to mid 2000's was made to run on this shitty low sulfur fuel), worrying about gelling, shit growing in the tank, running them low on fuel, etc.

-D0DG3R D0GG13- - Phone Post 3.0

LOL!

Fake Diesel was better imo!

Non N00B - It is tough to find a nice one, but even finding nice gas trucks is a pain now, people run trucks into the ground, the nice ones are always pricey! An 07+ Tundra will actually hold up decently, as much as it pains me to say it.

A 6.0 GM gas truck with 4.10's will only get around 9-10 mpg pulling a trailer at sea level, probably a bit worse in Colorado. The bastard will practically run forever though (for a gas truck), and 6.0's and 4L80E (if you go auto) are cheap and the trucks are stupid easy to work on.

My friend bought his 05 6.0 reg cab auto 4.10 truck new, pulls a carpet trailer 5-6 days a week all over the place, it has in the low or mid 200's on it now, still kicking, but he says it consumes more oil than it used to and has lost some power. My neighbor's 6.0 truck is an 03-04, it has been through hell, probably hasnt had the oil changed in a long time, leaks like a fucker, he revs it to 5000+ rpm when it's completely cold all the time (not good!), but it's still kicking and has 250-260k miles.

I considered a cheap 6.0 truck for awhile, but the MPG ran me away, my 7.3 gets 18-20 mpg on the highway depending on speed, and 16-18 in the city depending on how much of that is in town highway vs stop n go.

I don't get much better with my 5.9 diesel.

I think there is a lot of exaggeration by dudes with their diesels and gas mileage. I never chatted with anybody at the diesel pump that got less than 25 mpg. Its horseshit.

A good maintained gasser at moderate acceleration and speed is almost as economical based on present gas prices.

the diesel thing is just about full of shit. I bought my first cummins when I could get diesel for 89 cents a gallon. 1996. I keep buying diesels , but I often ask myself why after replacing an injection pump that costs 1500.

party on!!!