Which GI Competitor has the best Ankle Lock??

Curious, currently which top blackbelt gi competitor has a good ankle lock??

Curious, currently which top blackbelt gi competitor has a good ankle lock??

Ryron or Rener Gracie. Their straight ankle locks are sick.

Man, there just aren't many ankle lockers in the BJJ world.

My vote would go to Jean Jacque Machado since I saw him "beat" PeDePano with it in abu dahbi.

Royler

active competitors - kron and abi rihan

I think this is an interesting question, since the straight ankle lock is an uncommon submission at high levels of the game, especially in Gi....and yet, some guys do pull it off. What are they doing differently to make a top player submit? What makes Rener's or Ryron's ankle locks better than most?

I feel kind of like many of us Jits players gloss over the ankle lock...we say Rener's or whoever's are so good, as opposed to so many top guys who never seem to finish the lock, and just leave it at that....if the same was going on with a basic armlock or choke, everyone would be clamoring to better understand how a particular top competitor is finishing people with a technique that doesn't seem to work for other top guys.

ok, this has to be brought up in regards to the gracie boys straight ankle locks.

i watched that gracies in action dvd the other day where it had the competition where he leglocks joe stevenson and i think it was tyrone glover and mad monkey guy.

HE REAPS THE LEG PEOPLE!!!

watch it again, obviously back in the day those rules didnt exist but nowadays DDDDDDDQQQQQQQQQ!!!!!!

they are very good grapplers anyway.

^^^ SoCal Pro-Am. 2003, I think. Great DVD.

"ok, this has to be brought up in regards to the gracie boys straight ankle locks.

i watched that gracies in action dvd the other day where it had the competition where he leglocks joe stevenson and i think it was tyrone glover and mad monkey guy.

watch it again, obviously back in the day those rules didnt exist but nowadays DDDDDDDQQQQQQQQQ!!!!!!

they are very good grapplers anyway. "

In my opinion anyway, I would say, so what? Did the fact that they reaped mean it was any less effective. There are still a lot of tournaments out there that don't even have that rule. Naga for example. While that rule does help avoid injuries sometimes, it mostly just limits people from using the more effective strategies for foot locks.

So the fact that they reaped, just means they knew what they were doing, and were using the better versions of the technique.

dojo stormer - ok, this has to be brought up in regards to the gracie boys straight ankle locks.

they are very good grapplers anyway.

What the hell are you talking about? It's a no-gi Pro tourney - you're allowed to reap the knee.

Kron finished a few people at this years Mundial's with leg and ankle locks.

im guessing that the question asked what top level competitor today uses the ankle lock effectively and it was stated that the gracie boys if competing today, in the tournaments that matter (panams, and worlds), and coincidentally ibjjf run tournaments, then they would be dq'd

so, although they did get the tap, in the context of the question, they would not be allowed to do it. its got nothing to do with being a no gi pro toruney, the question was in regards to todays competitions and competitors

walbjj - im guessing that the question asked what top level competitor today uses the ankle lock effectively and it was stated that the gracie boys if competing today, in the tournaments that matter (panams, and worlds), and coincidentally ibjjf run tournaments, then they would be dq'd

so, although they did get the tap, in the context of the question, they would not be allowed to do it. its got nothing to do with being a no gi pro toruney, the question was in regards to todays competitions and competitors

Everyone forgets the tournament Rorion put on for a few years with the slamming rule but no leg reaping. They were finishing other black belts with the footlock then, too. Point is, you can't say they'd be dq'd in another event that's like comparing boxing to kickboxing. Competitors adjust to the rules.