Which instructional sets should...

Sperry is awesome, dude jusst controls everyone in gi tournaments! (BTW I have Master I & II).

I'd look into SBG stuff but their DVDs seem really pricey.

A part of my brain says 'he should make more videos so my skills could improve more'.

I do think we need competitors to teach some of the following:

1) Dieting to cut weight 101

2) Cardio Althletics Primer: Wind Sprints and 'Vitamins' for Winners!

3) Secrets of the Stall Game: How to Lock Guard or Sit in Pin until the Time Runs Out!

4) Ref Intimidation: How a Gracie Cut Out Poster & a Bull Horn Can Change Decisions!

5) How to Write a Comp. CV: "Tip 1, if you came in 2nd, but your division only consisted of you and a team mate, don't include that part in the ad copy!"

(Actually, I myself compete, and I respect the hell out of 99.9% of competitors. Again, I point this out because commens continue that make me assume people here have barely mastered the single entendre ;)

LOL!

Actually, Sperry has competed on his back. Watch his fight with Roleta where Sperry jumped guard!

I agree that you do not NEED to compete in order to teach. However, I think it is a factor to consider when buying martial arts products. Why did we all get into bjj? The whole bjj revolution is built on competition. At least I think it's a factor to consider when comparing many different tape sets.

Anyone see Bob Bass & Rick Williams set? how good is it? its a bit pricey...

Heard it was really good Storm, but it is a bit pricey. But then again alot of people say that info is gold, so who knows. I have Matt Thornton's stuff and they are platinum in my collection (even though two people have my top and bottom game tapes and moved, bastards). Also, those who don't want to consider tapes/DVDs from guys who aren't Pan-Am champs and such, thank you. It lets the rest of us school you using techs gotten from no-name instructors. Thank you.

wish SBG stuff wasnt so expensive... although I'm sure the quality of their tapes warrant such a high price!

Does anyone know the quality of the production on island dvds?

keeps my mouth zipped shut about island (don't want NOOOO competition)

/start sarcasm

stay far, far away from the medeiros set. not 1 high percentage move in the whole lot.

/end sarcasm

how are the quality of their DVDs? Are they of lesser quality because they are DVD-Rs? what about the production values?

str8, man. don't believe the dvd-r bashing hype. they play both in my dell laptop and my cheap walmat apex player. i have quite an instructional library, including the complete medeiros set. island's stuff has chapters and everything. it amazes me how paylotas cuts a profit when he sells his wares for only $17 bucks a pop.

"I agree that you do not NEED to compete in order to teach. However, I think it is a factor to consider when buying martial arts products. Why did we all get into bjj? The whole bjj revolution is built on competition. At least I think it's a factor to consider when comparing many different tape sets."

IMHO, its not competition but progressive resistance training that set BJJ apart. Fucking point Karataka competed, did everyone go rush out and buy their instructionals?

And I agree with NHBRookie, don't buy Island. I don't want people using Modeiras' stuff on me, especially that awesome... er... I mean sucky... closed guard tape ;)

(FWIW, Island DVDs thusfar have worked in 1 of 2 of my DVD players, and in 1 of 3 of my laptop players (PowerDVD). Caveat Emptor).

rene.r:

That is a point well taken. You have to ask what it is they teachers are competing at. But then you prove exactly what I'm talking about! If was going to try and learn point karate stuff, I guess I'd be more inclined to buy tapes from someone that has won point karate tournements.

Some people might. Others would get their coach's sets ;)

I agree that competition record is one of the factors one should consider when choosing instructionals. But it's certainly not the only factor. I have seen blue, purple, and brown belts who are successful competitors praise Bolo's tapes on this forum. I think that is a better reason to choose them, compared to looking at the instructor's record.

The SBG tapes are a bit pricey... but not really when you look at how much info is on them... some of the Matt Thornton tapes run over 2hrs!!! People would probably feel like they were getting a better deal if they sold them as a set of two tapes for the same price! ;)

-Kev