Whitaker fans must be frustrated

I had no dog in this fight, but I would of been frustrated if I was rooting for Whitaker. When he finally started to jab and double up on his jab he would get inside and do nada.

Bisping was correct with his constructive criticism. The two off the jabs were open all night but he was hesitant to pull the trigger for whatever reason.

His right hand was no existent, at least finish your jabs with some low kicks or something to slow him down.

8 Likes

Izzy was countering Bobby’s double jab with the right hook over the top, by the 3rd round Bobby had started blocking Izzy’s right hook attempt and I felt that izzy’s head was there to be hit with the straight.

I still believe Whittaker is the man to beat Adesanya at middleweight but it seems that ship has sailed.

I’m proud of Bobby today. It’s one thing for me to have theories about how to beat a man like Adesanya but having to stand in front of him is another and Bobby did stand up today.

6 Likes

I think he was being cautious of getting countered again off the right but should have still let it go in r5. Still he came back to make it close after getting dominated in r1 and made use of his wrestling like he should have.

3 Likes

I was rooting for Whittaker and I thought he needed to take chances crashing in behind his jabs. I know he got knocked out last time crashing in, but thats how he fights and I think its his best chance to win… creating chaos exchanges. Thats you Robert, win it your way or go out on your shield.

3 Likes

I thought that too but now realize how close the fight was. No reason to go that risky in that close a fight.

1 Like

Good point but I don’t think that’s the best way to fight Adesanya, his reach advantage, footwork and timing will make you pay more often than not.

Like they were saying, you need to take the belt from the Champ. He didn’t do enough to do that. Jabs and a few take downs isn’t going to win the fight. Adesanya was pulling back every time the jab landed. He was there for the taking.

You guys might be right in that he couldve gamed a win with wrestling and jabs. I guess the two 48-47s show that. But he got that scorecard after winning the 5th when he needed a finish. I thought it was 49-46. And not really close as a fight as a whole.

2 Likes

I agree Adesanya won but it was close, after Izzy threw the counter hook he stood there hands down chin up, square stance, there to be hit.

Rob was landing the jab at will. A right hand would leave him open to a counter.

He fought a good gameplan, he’s just not as good.

2 Likes

Agreed. I think once he watches tapes he’s gonna be upset with himself. He was having success when he was letting his jab go. He fought too conservatively.

I disagree mate Izzy landed a body kick that shut down Bobby for a bit in the 3rd (I think) if that round goes differently Bobby wins the fight

1 Like

Israel is really good timing and distancing that pull back. When I was watching the Pereira kickboxing fight that he got KOed in, I kept seeing him doing the pull back and I thought surely thats how Pereira knocked him out, lunging through and connecting on that dangling chin. But that wasnt it. He was clean with that the whole time.

1 Like

Not when you’re blinding him with a jab or double. The most common strike landed from a jab is a two because the opponent is either getting hit by it or reacting in a defensive manner.

Now if Israel was timing Robert off his jab and countering with his right that’s different. But that wasn’t the case. Israel was pulling back in the pocket with his head up almost every time.

Would he have landed the right? Maybe or maybe not but that’s something Whitaker will have to think about. That what ifs. Because the opportunities to throw the right was there.

Absolutely. You still have to try to take that chin.

1 Like

I think he won rounds 2 and 5, 4 could have been his too. To beat izzy he needed to be cautious and it would have been hard to pick the right moments to load up. Pick the wrong one and its lights out. I did think the commentary was very one sided. Adesanya didnt do much, jabs and takedowns do count. Plenty of fighter’s win off just a jab, if its landing and effective it can win you rounds.

1 Like

He could threw more to the body when Izzy leans back.

1 Like

Yes. Mix those strikes up to the head and body.

Still though for Rob with so much range to break everytime. Could he have thrown the right hand behind the jabs? A bit perhaps but not too much like last time. But looks at the fights against Gastelum, Cannonier - he had such an easier tie with the range. Against Izzy it was like he had the break a mile each time to get it.

2 Likes