White: I love having rankings now

SupesUp - 
Pitbull3744 - Yeah but UFC does #1 vs #6 so isn't that bad for the UFC when casuals see that? Phone Post 3.0
Um... No?
What other sports always feature teams playing off that are 2 vs 3.
And it's not like 6th best in the world is a push over.

He's 100% right. When I have friends over the guys who don't follow love seeing those ranks, even if those of us who follow closely know that it isn't always 100% accurate. Phone Post 3.0

crumbs - 
Pitbull3744 - Yeah but UFC does #1 vs #6 so isn't that bad for the UFC when casuals see that? Phone Post 3.0

Casuals see #1 v #6 and similar all the time, especially during March madness, and NCAA bowl season.

I think top 5 is fine for title shots(with variables like has the champ beat a majority of the top 5, injuries ect). And Gus vs #6 is perfectly fine.

elliot91 - Its weird when the higher ranked guys are the underdogs in the fights... But we all know 'styles make fights' Phone Post 3.0

this happens in other sports as well. its not that that uncommon.

its usually when a team/fighter is lowered ranked just because they are "unproven" or havent had a "true test yet". but they are favored because ppl are projecting they will win once they do.(so they cant rank them higher until it makes more sense even tho they already think that they should be higher. thats why they are favored.)

but there are other scenarios and reasons for this happening as well. id say the one above is just the most common.

(summary...its not that that weird.)

But in the ufc usually #3 will fight #5, #1 will fight #4 and #2 will wait.

sgotwalks - 

Is he referring to 'UFC only' rankings? I could see him liking the rankings more now that used to include all mma fighters, because he no longer has to look at Fedor, Strikeforce fighters and whoever else may be bothersome to the ranks of his UFC guys, if he is referring to the rankings that aren't strictly UFC. There's no real competition so what's not to like? It used to drive him nuts seeing Fedor up top the heavyweight ranks!

Good point.

elliot91 - Its weird when the higher ranked guys are the underdogs in the fights... But we all know 'styles make fights' Phone Post 3.0
That happens in other sports as well. Phone Post 3.0

Bofbro - I wonder where Alvarez was in these rankings last week, and where he will be when the next rankings come out. Rankings never tell the full story.

Can you explain to me why Eddie would have been in the UFC's rankings last week?

rockafella - 
Bofbro - I wonder where Alvarez was in these rankings last week, and where he will be when the next rankings come out. Rankings never tell the full story.

Can you explain to me why Eddie would have been in the UFC's rankings last week?

Exactly my point, these ranking mean shit when they are all but exclusive to one Org.

Bofbro -
rockafella - 

Exactly my point, these ranking mean shit when they are all but exclusive to one Org.
Groan Phone Post 3.0

In UFC, rankings is more like an attaboy system, but Dana is right in the sense that it does proof helpful to the casual fan, for sure. Phone Post 3.0

ok, but dont the ranks have to be accurate in order to have informative value?

gokudamus - ok, but dont the ranks have to be accurate in order to have informative value?
Is that possible? Phone Post 3.0