White still undecided on Barnett

TTT for Barnett.

Dana is an idiot if he doesn't sign Barnett. Why would you not sign a top ranked guy just because you hold a grudge? This is what I don't like about Dana. He makes off the cuff decisions based on emotion. Phone Post

Ttt for signing Barnett Phone Post

Chromium -

I don't think he's gonna come back for 8k + 8k like Todd Duffee did, or 20k + 20k for that matter, nor would that be appropriate. I'd think 60k + 60k is probably a reasonable offer though considering: UFC contracts usually go up with wins, he'd get more sponsor money in the big leagues, and there are both "Of The Night" bonuses and discretionary ones we don't generally hear about. He also may or may not get a tiny slice of PPV money.

Is that what Duffee was paid?

That's shit.

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/12/31/1879776/ufc-155-payouts-salaries-junior-dos-santos-cain-velasquez-mma

I see you're correct in Duffee's salary of 8/8.

Unbelievable.

Brian J DSouza - 

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/12/31/1879776/ufc-155-payouts-salaries-junior-dos-santos-cain-velasquez-mma

Unbelievable.

He also got a $65k KOTN bonus I believe so he's probably paying his bills okay right now.

A bonus for KOTN is discretionary. It's not really something he could count on.

I don't want to criticize Zuffa too much here, as we all know there's no "right" for any fighter to fight or be in the UFC.

Authority Figure - 
orcus - 

No reason not to bring in Barnett unless his demands are out of line. He is a finisher, he talks a good game, he's smart and personable, and he's an excellent fighter.

1. Should we consider that Josh could and probably will test positive again for steroids?

2. Given the number of times he's been caught, is it worriesome that he's never really apologized publicly? Could he sully the image of the UFC and it's FOX deal?

3. Out of Josh's last 5 fights? How many were against Top 10 fighters? I'm actually asking. i don't know.

4. What are the advantages of adding a guy who knows how to sell fights, has only moderate name recognition among casual fans and may or may get caught using steroids again?  Again, I'm asking (for polite input).

1) He's going to be targeted relentlessly for OOC testing by state athletic commissions so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that if he's going to get caught at all, it'll be before he makes it very far into this stint at which point it wouldn't hurt to cut him entirely. For now he's failed twice, seven years apart. So, I'd give him a chance. HW is really thin, Barnett is marketable, and if they don't take him someone else will (like almost certainly Bellator, the UFC's one significant competitor).

2) Actually are you sure that he's never publicly apologized? And considering that Fox airs the NFL and MLB where steroids are a major problem, I don't think it's a major issue for them. As for an apology at this point it's probably best that he doesn't say anything about it at all unless asked.

3) Google.com. Or if you really need help, try http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Josh-Barnett-272 . But the answer is 1 against a top 10 opponent (Cormier whom he lost to), and 2 against fighters who were ranked in the top 20 at the time (both of which he won). He's right at the low end of the truly elite. For comparison the guy ranked just below him by Fight Matrix's computerized rankings, Stefan Struve, has zero fights against top 10 fighters in his last 5 fights, and two against fighters who were Top 20 at the time (he went 1-1).

4) He's highly credible as a fighter, he knows how to sell fights, and can be easily marketed in a thin-yet-crucial division. That's more than enough.

As a fan, I'd love to see him and Struve matched up. Phone Post

Chromium - 
Authority Figure - 
orcus - 

No reason not to bring in Barnett unless his demands are out of line. He is a finisher, he talks a good game, he's smart and personable, and he's an excellent fighter.

1. Should we consider that Josh could and probably will test positive again for steroids?

2. Given the number of times he's been caught, is it worriesome that he's never really apologized publicly? Could he sully the image of the UFC and it's FOX deal?

3. Out of Josh's last 5 fights? How many were against Top 10 fighters? I'm actually asking. i don't know.

4. What are the advantages of adding a guy who knows how to sell fights, has only moderate name recognition among casual fans and may or may get caught using steroids again?  Again, I'm asking (for polite input).

1) He's going to be targeted relentlessly for OOC testing by state athletic commissions so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that if he's going to get caught at all, it'll be before he makes it very far into this stint at which point it wouldn't hurt to cut him entirely. For now he's failed twice, seven years apart. So, I'd give him a chance. HW is really thin, Barnett is marketable, and if they don't take him someone else will (like almost certainly Bellator, the UFC's one significant competitor).

2) Actually are you sure that he's never publicly apologized? And considering that Fox airs the NFL and MLB where steroids are a major problem, I don't think it's a major issue for them. As for an apology at this point it's probably best that he doesn't say anything about it at all unless asked.

3) Google.com. Or if you really need help, try http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Josh-Barnett-272 . But the answer is 1 against a top 10 opponent (Cormier whom he lost to), and 2 against fighters who were ranked in the top 20 at the time (both of which he won). He's right at the low end of the truly elite. For comparison the guy ranked just below him by Fight Matrix's computerized rankings, Stefan Struve, has zero fights against top 10 fighters in his last 5 fights, and two against fighters who were Top 20 at the time (he went 1-1).

4) He's highly credible as a fighter, he knows how to sell fights, and can be easily marketed in a thin-yet-crucial division. That's more than enough.

I think my only two issues are that I'm not sure if he's through with steroids. And you, like I, suspect that most of his most recent wins are not against Top 10 fighters. But he does know how to sell fights. He does that well. I think he's even weird enough that people that wouldn't normally be interested in his fights would watch because of his zany pre-fight interviews. 

I guess we'll see. I certainly don't think he's worth big money, until he's had at least one big finish. 

torquemada - 

As a fan, I'd love to see him and Struve matched up. Phone Post

Josh would be bloodied for sure. But a part of me thinks this would be the end to Struve. I can't see how he loses to Josh and stays relevant. I can't remember, what's Struve's cardio like, for a HW?

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
GSP24 - His history with dfw and failed tests is a HUGE concern. Phone Post

If he's wiling to promote Reem, then Barnett's failed test probably don't matter at all. Phone Post

Exactly

Brian J DSouza - 

Unbelievable.

Thats a standard contract most prospects and guys who dont win TUF get.

It is a bit low but duffee had two fights in the UFC, left on bad terms, had like two fights in over 2 years and lost one of them and was a late replacement who was just happy to get another shot in the UFC.

Todd really is still a prospect.

Dazednconfused - 

Dana is an idiot if he doesn't sign Barnett. Why would you not sign a top ranked guy just because you hold a grudge? This is what I don't like about Dana. He makes off the cuff decisions based on emotion. Phone Post

First he isnt even signed or not signed yet and as of right now you have no idea if he will be or wont be signed or what the reason is.

You just assume its because of a grudge, if Josh asked for 300k a fight and Dana said no is that Dana holding a grudge and making off the cuff decisions based on emotion?

Josh coming to the UFC is gonna depend on the money he wants and the money Zuffa is willing to pay, simple as that.

DANA IS A TURD IF HE DOESN'T GIVE ONE OF THE BEST HEAVYWEIGHTS IN THE WORLD A CHANCE AT UFC GOLD....AGAIN!

REMIND YOU.... AGAIN! Phone Post

the ufc needs Josh, the HW division is one of the weakest

failed steriod test at ufc 3 times then ruined one of the greatest fights ever when he tested for roids before the fedor fight, he doesnt deserve ufc, he deserves to be m1 champion fighting russian cans for the rest of his career, bellators format wouldnt allow him to cycle properly.

This is upsetting Phone Post

If White won't give Barnett at least a midccard chance then he officially does not listen to the fans at all.

Chael and Nick getting shots can be argued at least theres a substantial amount of fans that support those guys.

THe people that don't want Barnett are in the major minroty, listen to the damn fans Dana.

It will bring in Japanese Puroresu fans! Come on do it!