White: Thomson comments dumb, but no action

After thinking about this more, I think any employee of Dana White that feels it necessary to express their personal opinions on a public forum, should at least consider working hard to qualify their statements.

In reading UG'ers comments, some understand Thomson's words to refer to actions people make, others see his words refer to only having the freedom to choose.

In retrospect, he may have been just fine if he only meant the idea of freedom to choose, and he qualified his statements better. Phone Post

JudOWNED - 

It applies on a moral level. The UFC should not be able to dictate what their fighters believe, what positions they hold on the issues of the day or what they say about those things. Grossly offensive language is one thing, and I get it. But when the ufc starts to make that claim about just holding a certain political position that goes too far imo. Phone Post

Lol @ a moral level.... Zuffa isn't dictating anyone's beliefs. They're being a responsible company and saying that as an employee, if you spew your hate filled, bigoted views to the public, there will be repercussions. Pretty simple concept for people that live in the real world.

Imagine if he had said that interracial marriage shouldn't be allowed because it's a slippery slope to marrying animals and parents/siblings.

"Lol @ a moral level"

What's funny about it? You don't believe that people have a moral right to free speech as well as a legal one?

"Zuffa isn't dictating anyone's beliefs."

I didn't say they were. I said it would be wrong if they did.

"They're being a responsible company and saying that as an employee, if you spew your hate filled, bigoted views to the public, there will be repercussions."

I think they are starting to go too far in what they (apparently) define as "hate filled, bigoted views". I think they are being too heavy handed in what they are coming down on fighters for saying and how they are penalizing them.

I guess you disagree. But let me ask you a question. How far is too far? At what point would you object to the UFC telling fighters what they can and cannot say publicly?

Aaron Becker - 
ausgepicht - 
Aaron Becker - seeing Dana say this makes me hate him even more, not that I'm against what he said in the past but he says the most hate speech than any other corporate leader in the public eye

For example?

he used to say faggot all the time

"Used to".  Past-tense.  As in previously.

Dana has publically apologized, and further stated quite clearly that it is the commentary that he most regrets in his life.

You will NEVER hear him use "fag or faggot", or any other disparging terms for homosexuals, now or in the future.

He learned his lesson and fully understands how using those terms is offensive as fuck to a minority group.

I have great respect for a man that can openly admit his mistakes, apologize and change his behavior accordingly.

HexRei - Imagine if he had said that interracial marriage shouldn't be allowed because it's a slippery slope to marrying animals and parents/siblings.

U changed my opinion. I thought it was a good thing Josh didn't get fined, even though I think what he said was dumb. Now I think he deserved to get fined

ShawnTheBadger - 
Aaron Becker - 
ausgepicht - 
Aaron Becker - seeing Dana say this makes me hate him even more, not that I'm against what he said in the past but he says the most hate speech than any other corporate leader in the public eye

For example?

he used to say faggot all the time

"Used to".  Past-tense.  As in previously.

Dana has publically apologized, and further stated quite clearly that it is the commentary that he most regrets in his life.

You will NEVER hear him use "fag or faggot", or any other disparging terms for homosexuals, now or in the future.

He learned his lesson and fully understands how using those terms is offensive as fuck to a minority group.

I have great respect for a man that can openly admit his mistakes, apologize and change his behavior accordingly.

Yeah, and this has come off as authentic.

I used to use the words fag and faggot all the time. I called things and people gay. At the same time, I saw myself as an advocate for gay rights and equality.

And then I grew up. I got older. I had gay and wise friends make me realize that those words were mean, cruel, and hurtful. So I stopped using them. It's quite simply a lesson learned. Dana seems to mean what he says

RicGillespie - 
JudOWNED - 

It applies on a moral level. The UFC should not be able to dictate what their fighters believe, what positions they hold on the issues of the day or what they say about those things. Grossly offensive language is one thing, and I get it. But when the ufc starts to make that claim about just holding a certain political position that goes too far imo. Phone Post

Lol @ a moral level.... Zuffa isn't dictating anyone's beliefs. They're being a responsible company and saying that as an employee, if you spew your hate filled, bigoted views to the public, there will be repercussions. Pretty simple concept for people that live in the real world.

LOL at this stupid bullshit. Zuffa pays fighters chump change to beat each other in the head and then Dana wants to act like Ghandi. GTFO. Just LMAO at some of the shills on this forum.

"Don't say shit we don't like, boy, or we'll fine you $500."

"But massa Dana, that's my whole purse after expenses."

Glaring Dana

"Uhhh . . . yes massa Dana."

JudOWNED - "Lol @ a moral level"

What's funny about it? You don't believe that people have a moral right to free speech as well as a legal one?

"Zuffa isn't dictating anyone's beliefs."

I didn't say they were. I said it would be wrong if they did.

"They're being a responsible company and saying that as an employee, if you spew your hate filled, bigoted views to the public, there will be repercussions."

I think they are starting to go too far in what they (apparently) define as "hate filled, bigoted views". I think they are being too heavy handed in what they are coming down on fighters for saying and how they are penalizing them.

I guess you disagree. But let me ask you a question. How far is too far? At what point would you object to the UFC telling fighters what they can and cannot say publicly?

Yeah some of these people need to get out of their own heads for about five minutes and realize the rest of the world doesn't have to think like them.

You can go dance around a redwood tree and jerk each others puds all night long, but when you say that society in general has to give you a pat on the head and an atta boy, you're being silly.

And some Boss Hog wannabe like Dana White acting like he has any moral high ground when he's basically running a sweatshop is just laughable.

DJmixmasterMobbie - 
UGCTT_Vidz - 
DJmixmasterMobbie - 
UGCTT_Vidz - Wait so Diaz gets fined for calling Caraway a fag.

But when Thomson compares those same "fags" marriage to incest and child molestation its fine?

Learn to stick with your opinions Dana.

Josh didn't come out and say 'fags' lol?

I never stated that he did call them fags. I was simply using the same term that Nate did.

What I'm trying to say is, Nate called a straight man a fag and got punished for it. But Josh just offended millions of homosexual people by comparing their private life to incest and paedophilia.

Personally I don't care what he says, everyone has their own opinion but what he said is much worse than what Nate did but no action is being taken.

serious?

that was his opinion, hardly 'worse' than what nate said get real.

And Nate's opinion is that Caraway is a "fag".

The dude compared same sex marriage to people having sexual relations with their relatives and adults having sexual relations with children.

How is that not worse?

Thomson's comments are worse than Nate's.

The word fag is hurtful and hateful. But the truth is, not everybody has been able to think it through enough to realize that. Not everyone who uses the word has animus towards gay people. (Though using the word is still reprehensible).

Thomson compared gay marriage to pedophilia and beastality. It's worse and it's more hateful. The big question is whether or not this argument would be okay if it were made on the subject of interracial marriage. Obviously, it wouldn't be.

Thatsjustlikeyouropionman - 
DJmixmasterMobbie -
UGCTT_Vidz - 
DJmixmasterMobbie - 

But when Thomson compares those same "fags" marriage to incest and child molestation its fine?

I never stated that he did call them fags. I was simply using the same term that Nate did.

What I'm trying to say is, Nate called a straight man a fag and got punished for it. But Josh just offended millions of homosexual people by comparing their private life to incest and paedophilia.

Personally I don't care what he says, everyone has their own opinion but what he said is much worse than what Nate did but no action is being taken.

serious?

You're retarded Phone Post

Caraway is that you?

UGCTT_Vidz - 
DJmixmasterMobbie - 
UGCTT_Vidz - 
DJmixmasterMobbie - 

serious?

And Nate's opinion is that Caraway is a "fag".

The dude compared same sex marriage to people having sexual relations with their relatives and adults having sexual relations with children.

How is that not worse?

true. alright, agree to disagree i just hate how people are getting so damn sensitive about everything

Señor Penis - 

He did not compare gay marriage to pedophalia and beastiality. He said where does the line get drawn at? He is right because it wont. You stupid liberals will see.

Dana is such a PUPPET. Why bow down to these radical gay groups? Fuck them. We have much more important matters at hand like the government spying on you. Phone Post

That's weird. Gay marriage is legal in several countries and I've not seen any strides toward marrying animals or children. In fact, hilariously, there are many US states where people under the age of 16 (read: children) can be married- Utah, South Dakota, North Dakota, Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, etc, and yet these are the states where gay marriage is the most frowned upon.

Kind of ironic.

people keep saying that he compared homosexuality to incest and beastiality. But he actually made no such comparisons. he simply made the point that some of the arguments used to justify same sex marriage, could create a slippery slope leading to those other things. I am NOT saying I agree with him even on that much, but let's at least understand his statement correctly. Because to say he compared homosexuality to those things is simply false. Phone Post

HexRei - 
Señor Penis - 

He did not compare gay marriage to pedophalia and beastiality. He said where does the line get drawn at? He is right because it wont. You stupid liberals will see.

Dana is such a PUPPET. Why bow down to these radical gay groups? Fuck them. We have much more important matters at hand like the government spying on you. Phone Post

That's weird. Gay marriage is legal in several countries and I've not seen any strides toward marrying animals or children. In fact, hilariously, there are many US states where people under the age of 16 (read: children) can be married- Utah, South Dakota, North Dakota, Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, etc, and yet these are the states where gay marriage is the most frowned upon.

Kind of ironic.

This.

Anyone making a slippery slope argument is making a homophobic argument based not at all in fact.

in_different - 
HexRei - Imagine if he had said that interracial marriage shouldn't be allowed because it's a slippery slope to marrying animals and parents/siblings.

U changed my opinion. I thought it was a good thing Josh didn't get fined, even though I think what he said was dumb. Now I think he deserved to get fined

So a completely irrelevant comparison of two things that are not even close to the same thing (a group being scrutinized because of their ethnicity eg. black, hispanic, asian, etc. with a group scrutinized because of their actions eg. gays, drug users, criminals etc.) is all it takes to change your opinion?

That has to be one of the most weak minded things I have read in a while. Hopefully none of your friends decide to jump off of a bridge, my guess is they could talk you into going with them pretty easily.

JudOWNED - 

people keep saying that he compared homosexuality to incest and beastiality. But he actually made no such comparisons. he simply made the point that some of the arguments used to justify same sex marriage, could create a slippery slope leading to those other things. I am NOT saying I agree with him even on that much, but let's at least understand his statement correctly. Because to say he compared homosexuality to those things is simply false. Phone Post

Exactly, he is simply stating that this issue seems to make marriage solely about who or what it is that you desire to have sex with, and it's not.

The Engineer - 
in_different - 

So a completely irrelevant comparison of two things that are not even close to the same thing (a group being scrutinized because of their ethnicity eg. black, hispanic, asian, etc. with a group scrutinized because of their actions eg. gays, drug users, criminals etc.) is all it takes to change your opinion?

That has to be one of the most weak minded things I have read in a while. Hopefully none of your friends decide to jump off of a bridge, my guess is they could talk you into going with them pretty easily.

Thompson deserved to be fine and being gay is not an action that a person chooses

JudOWNED - I don't like this idea that fighters lose their freedom of speech. Yeah, I get that saying something offensive can reflect negatively on the company. But it seems that we are on a road that is starting to define "offensive" as anything Dana disagrees with. "He didn't say anything against gay marriage..." Really? So if he had, then what? If he had said, "I'm against gay marriage" that would have been labeled offensive and he could have been fined or fired? That's ridiculous. Gay marriage is a political issue that the nation is not in agreement on. How can the UFC dictate what their fighters say on the subject?

"Fag" or "faggot" I get. But having an opposing view of gay marriage, or even of homosexuality itself, shouldn't be any of the UFC's damn business.

If you would have followed the link, you could have read DFW's explanation:

"The difference between what he did and what Matt Mitrione and Nate Diaz did was that their stuff was derogatory and mean-spirited. It was said to hurt people. No [he will no be punished]. You can't punish a guy for having an opinion. You can punish a guy who is hateful, hurtful and tries to say negative, hurtful things to people."

The issue isn't that Thompson holds an offensive opinion; it's that Thompson wasn't fined for his offensive opinion, while other fighters were fined. The fines were given to fighters whose public comments targeted specific individuals in an offensive manner.

Specifically, from the UFC Code of Conduct

"Derogatory or offensive conduct, including without limitation insulting language, symbols, or actions about a person's ethnic background, heritage, color, race, national origin, age, religion, disability, gender or sexual orientation."