Whitelist/Blacklist is now racist.

Terminology: it's not black and white
The NCSC now uses 'allow list' and 'deny list' in place of 'whitelist' and 'blacklist'. Emma W explains why...

A few months ago, an NCSC customer contacted me to ask if we would consider making a small but significant change to some of the wording we use on the NCSC website. When she asked the question, I immediately smacked myself in the head for not thinking of it a long time ago. And I was really glad to say: yes, we will make this change straight away, and I'm sorry you had to come and ask us to do it.

It's fairly common to say whitelisting and blacklisting to describe desirable and undesirable things in cyber security. For instance, when talking about which applications you will allow or deny on your corporate network; or deciding which bad passwords you want your users not to be able to use.

However, there's an issue with the terminology. It only makes sense if you equate white with 'good, permitted, safe' and black with 'bad, dangerous, forbidden'. There are some obvious problems with this. So in the name of helping to stamp out racism in cyber security, we will avoid this casually pejorative wording on our website in the future. No, it's not the biggest issue in the world - but to borrow a slogan from elsewhere: every little helps.

You may not see why this matters. If you're not adversely affected by racial stereotyping yourself, then please count yourself lucky. For some of your colleagues (and potential future colleagues), this really is a change worth making. From now on, the NCSC will use 'allow list' and 'deny list' in place of 'whitelist' and 'blacklist' on our website. Which, in fact, is clearer and less ambiguous. So as well as being more inclusive of all, this is a net benefit to our web content. We are editing our guidance across the website to update the terms, but if you do spot any in the meantime then please do contact us.

I hope that if you're seeking to make this, or similar changes in your own organisation, this blog post helps you to convince people around you that it's worth doing. And finally, a word from the NCSC's Technical Director Ian Levy (supported by the full NCSC Management Board): "If you’re thinking about getting in touch saying this is political correctness gone mad, don’t bother."

Bitches running wild in IT world.....

Will Raymond Reddington finally confront Elizabeth about consorting with her mother behind his back?

Find out this week on an all new episode of NBC's hit show, "The Deny List".

1 Like

Of course it is.

How big does your diameter need to be to sit around dreaming this shit up?

Next on the list: "Blackballed".

I really think we need to do something about the day/night cycle as well and the institutional racism this paradigm represents.  Ever notice that when it gets dark outside most people will retire inside and make their children do the same? 

Stores shut down and everyone hides from the black night, hmm I wonder why?

Ever notice that white people make their shadows follow behind them??

When racists do go outside at night they tend to stick to areas that have artificial white lighting, which obviously represents the good (Whiteness) fighting back the evil (Blackness).

Can we finally rid our world of this colonial-oppressor-white supremacism?

It is time to do away with sunlight.

#killthesun  #shadowsareracist #honestlywejusthatewhitepeople

Accounting terms will need to be changed too. No longer are you “in the red” .... “Barry, what’s with these numbers are we really that deep ‘in Pocahontas’ asshole’?”

I seriously can't take it anymore...

I can't....

Too many woke faggots...

Too many sensitive bitches bitching... 

What the fucking fuck....

This shit seriously triggers me....

Seriously, how long until Crayola changes the name of their Black and White crayons 

clattymine -

Accounting terms will need to be changed too. No longer are you “in the red” .... “Barry, what’s with these numbers are we really that deep ‘in Pocahontas’ asshole’?”

But they won't change "in the black," because it's the one term that actually has a positive connotation. 

"Tom, ever since that new e-commerce software was added to the "allow list," our numbers have begun to climb out of the "opportunity for further improvement." We'll be in the black soon. I'd suggest going to the strip club to celebrate, but I've been "deny listed" for my behavior last time."

sicko -

Seriously, how long until Crayola changes the name of their Black and White crayons 

They'll soon be re-labeled "opportunity" and "unwarranted privilege."

Ever notice astrophysicists/NASA say that space is a dangerous and inhospitable place?  Wouldn't be because it is black, right? 

Also, we need to get rid of the boy/girl paradigm as well.  Not only is it not inclusive to the 72 genders but the term "Boy" is highly racist.

Reminds of demolition man. What a bunch of faggots and pussies